You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
IfYouSeeKhaos

"Misbehavior in chat" reports suggestion.

16 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
8,505 posts
24,628 battles

As all veterans know karma is nothing more than the ability to either be able to hand out between 3 (minimum) & 11 (maximum) compliments/reports a day.

But only 1 of those reports has the potential to negatively affect a players ability (to strategize) in battle...& that of course is the "Misbehavior in chat" report causing a chat ban.

My proposal is an addition to the automated system that checks if a player has even used the chat (other than the F keys) up to that time in the battle & if not then the player that reports them for "Misbehavior in chat" instantly loses a point of karma..."W/NO NOTIFICATION (OK...let's just make this optional)"...& after 3 repeat instances that player gets a chat ban.

In these cases the person being falsely reported on of course doesn't lose the karma.

If the player changes their vote to any other option the lost karma is restored but obvious improper chat reports (as in the case of people instantly reporting somebody just for the ship they are in...or whatever other reason they may have for maliciously reporting chat misbehavior when no obvious chat ever occured) should be instantly punished.

This would remove some of the need for support going back over the logs just to restore a person's ability to chat & the offender either never being punished for it or support needing to waste there time punishing them if that is what happens (not exactly sure of supports process on that but in any account this would eliminate those instances of the need for support to even get involved). Especially saves support time in instances where multiple people (as in a div) make a false report all at once.

This of course doesn't eliminate the instances where the accused player does use chat & gets unjustifiably banned (support will still need to check those out) but will eliminate (while punishing the offender at the same time) some of the workload.

I'm sure support will know if this is actually relevant enough of the time (as opposed to people claiming it when it doesn't actually happen) to be a viable time saving recommendation.

As an addendum there should be either a addition to the report options of "F key spamming" or a check to see if the player being reported on has been delayed in chat due to "too many F key commands in a row" (forget the exact wording of the in game mechanic for that) because "Misbehavior in chat" is a legitimate report to give to F key spammers. Making an alternate command just for that or checking for it automatically would be a way to stop people from being punished for a legitimate "misbehavior in chat" report in that circumstance.

@Hapa_Fodder do you think this is worth sending up as a suggestion or is there some negative factor I may be missing in my suggestion.

Any comment (for or against) are welcome.

@thebigblue...I do agree this issue (when it actually occurs) should be addressed...just believe that player was making false reports (due to the overwhelming number of threads on the subject w/never any follow up).

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 2
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

What about reporting someone who spams the F keys for minutes on end?  

I'd call repeatedly demanding AA support when there's no carrier, demanding smoke from DDs on the first side of the map, "target calling" every red ship as it's spotted, etc etc etc, to the point where multiple other players are asking the player to stop,  "misbehavior in chat". 

• Cool 1

[WOLFA]
Members
853 posts
7,975 battles
17 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I'd call repeatedly demanding AA support when there's no carrier, demanding smoke from DDs on the first side of the map, "target calling" every red ship as it's spotted, etc etc etc, to the point where multiple other players are asking the player to stop,  "misbehavior in chat". 

That's what the BLOCK button is for.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
1 minute ago, CorradoG60 said:

That's what the BLOCK button is for.

It does not stop F-key messages, unless that has been changed. 

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,318 posts

I must wholeheartedly oppose any system where a chat ban is handed out by automation. In my 30K plus game I believe I have received the talkie timeout once, and I assure you, that in that instance, I EARNED THAT BAD BOY. There was inspired invective that Shakespeare and Don Rickles would have been proud of. To paraphrase Maggot from the Dirty Dozen: "I was in a state of Grace. God gave me that person, and told me to chastise him". Let us not cheapen chat  bans by handing them out via machine. If you are to get a time out, then let it be because you earned it. It is like a kraken, if you had to beg your team to let you have kill number five, then it isn't really a kraken.

• Haha 1

[META_]
Members
2,282 posts
7,823 battles

There's nothing quite like unleashing high levels of fluency in the art of the written smack down to release tension from the mind and soul.  And because of this, it should be discouraged and punished in person, taking into consideration what the reprobate may have done to inspire it.

On the other hand, if it's a stupidity and colloquial vituperation spewing bot at work, autoban him/her at will. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,330 posts
14,924 battles
1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

It does not stop F-key messages, unless that has been changed. 

I find the F key spam far more irritating than someone teeing off in chat.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,505 posts
24,628 battles
2 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Please reread the paragraph starting w/"As an addendum..."

29 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Agreed.

57 minutes ago, Doombeagle said:

I must wholeheartedly oppose any system where a chat ban is handed out by automation. In my 30K plus game I believe I have received the talkie timeout once, and I assure you, that in that instance, I EARNED THAT BAD BOY. There was inspired invective that Shakespeare and Don Rickles would have been proud of. To paraphrase Maggot from the Dirty Dozen: "I was in a state of Grace. God gave me that person, and told me to chastise him". Let us notcheapen chat bans by handing them out via machine. If you are to get a time out, then let it be because you earned it. It is like a kraken, if you had to beg your team to let you have kill number five, then it isn't really a kraken.

Actually...that had been going on for a very long time...this is suggesting people possibly getting unjustified chat bans to have the person unjustifiably reporting them get the penalty instead.

Giving "misbehavior in chat" reports just because you don't like a certain ship type or somebody didn't do what you wanted even though the target person didn't even engage in chat gets karma hits then bans after multiple offenses.

No insta bans as accidents do happen but if you are repeatedly accidentally misreporting people after 3 times it gets brought to your attention.

That's the TL/DR version.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[CRUEL]
Members
547 posts
10,125 battles
2 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

This♤♤♤

My peeve is the troll who spams great work over and over again if something bad happens. When I see this I assume he is chat banned and for a reason. Chat is overrated and usually doesn't do much in randoms. In ranked or clan more so.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
41 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Yeap.  For starters the F key spam also spams voice messages from the game... 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,330 posts
14,924 battles
1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Yeap.  For starters the F key spam also spams voice messages from the game... 

And WG doesn't consider spamming the F keys as being in chat.

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,921 posts
10,311 battles
5 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

But only 1 of those reports has the potential to negatively affect a players ability (to strategize) in battle...& that of course is the "Misbehavior in chat" report causing a chat ban.

Wait, chat can be used to strategize? I thought it was there just for saying gg, and complaining about your teammates.

[PVE]
Members
8,505 posts
24,628 battles
13 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Wait, chat can be used to strategize? I thought it was there just for saying gg, and complaining about your teammates.

Wait... doesn't complaining about your teammates let your team know how bad they are... there's gotta be a certain amount of strategy in that...right :Smile_trollface:

[GRETA]
Members
1,430 posts
10,883 battles
4 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Pretty much this, we have figured out that it takes 3 consecutive reports from diff people and the offending party either shuts up on their own or gets shut up.  Either way, the issue is resolved.  The advantages of playing in a 3 person div..