You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Merc_R_Us

A reminder why you don't attack Potatoes in chat, and why MM should be adjusted.

91 comments in this topic

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
1,352 posts
7,997 battles
23 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

this game is not just catered to you

So very often the rants here and other places about this game fall to this simple explanation. Salute, sir. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
1 hour ago, Merc_R_Us said:

I just had a random match and as the game loaded Potato Alert showed me this:

1706025928_PotatoAlertMidway.thumb.png.abad9efc12344887575502a203a5cbf4.png

During the match, the enemy CV is clearly not playing at a high level; attacking my midway with bombers, missing rocket shots, etc. 

I message him to give him some general tips and here is what I discover:

532737036_MidwayChat.png.92cfdb3f77be5ba211a0478c379790b8.png

I think it's really important that the younger crowd and the average gamer in here understand that this game is not just catered to you. In it's current format, it is built for people for all age groups and skill levels. If you're paired with a Potato, don't assault the person in chat, it could be a gentleman like this that served or someone with a disability or whatever. Overall, just don't talk your crap so much. You have a problem with MM, I get it; so direct that crap to WG. 

Also, to WG, please; share why it cannot be adjusted, or what problems would happen if players like this were separated into their own matchmaking pool so we can understand the challenges. I find it very unfair that arguably the most powerful ship class (as far as spotting goes at least) can end up having such a large difference in opposing players.

Thanks for sharing that screenshot. I know old people and young'uns that play strictly for love of the game. They are similarly enthusiastic about every module unlock and every kill. When I'm there the stories are usually of there own deaths and they are told with great relish, lol. These aren't "skilled" players and only have 100 or so games. I encourage them to stick to coop and operations to avoid the salt. It pains me to think some toxic try-hard (in tier 3 ffs)  would berate them in a low tier match and steal away their fun. I'm glad to see there are some folks who have some class in the matches. 

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 3

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,502 battles

Being nice to people in general is always a good idea, online or IRL. I'll be the first to admit I can get a bit salty in chat sometimes, but I do try to limit myself. And people like the guy in the OP's post aren't usually the problem, because while they're playing for fun they're also trying to do decently. Plenty of people who just don't give a damn about they're team. While I understand playing for fun, if you have zero interest in the team don't play a team game. And there are plenty of old ex-military a-holes, like a CO player who literally hid behind an island while he watched me and two other ships get overrun, then complained in chat while he got killed about how worthless the rest of us were and how only people with military experience should be allowed to play...

But unless they're being a a-hole in chat, give people the benefit of the doubt. You're not going to help them by ranting in chat. And a polite note after battle with some advice as the OP did here is a fantastic idea.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,633 posts
12,031 battles

My rule is to never say anything online that I wouldn't say to their face in real life.

And frankly even for potatoes I generally let them slide unless they start trying to set the chat on fire with insults or toxicity. Not everyone can or wants to be a unicum. And as long as they aren't trying to unfairly sabotage the enjoyment of others, I'm content.

• Cool 1

[SHAN]
Beta Testers
842 posts

The art of discussion is one that the world no longer teaches it's people.

Cirran

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
3,898 posts
7,842 battles

I tend to not react or talk to potatoes directly in chat unless they behave like the greatest admiral that tells others how bad they play. 

• Cool 1

[D-H-O]
WoWS Community Contributors
4,755 posts
19,298 battles
1 hour ago, Merc_R_Us said:

I just had a random match and as the game loaded Potato Alert showed me this:

1706025928_PotatoAlertMidway.thumb.png.abad9efc12344887575502a203a5cbf4.png

During the match, the enemy CV is clearly not playing at a high level; attacking my midway with bombers, missing rocket shots, etc. 

I message him to give him some general tips and here is what I discover:

532737036_MidwayChat.png.92cfdb3f77be5ba211a0478c379790b8.png

I think it's really important that the younger crowd and the average gamer in here understand that this game is not just catered to you. In it's current format, it is built for people for all age groups and skill levels. If you're paired with a Potato, don't assault the person in chat, it could be a gentleman like this that served or someone with a disability or whatever. Overall, just don't talk your crap so much. You have a problem with MM, I get it; so direct that crap to WG. 

Also, to WG, please; share why it cannot be adjusted, or what problems would happen if players like this were separated into their own matchmaking pool so we can understand the challenges. I find it very unfair that arguably the most powerful ship class (as far as spotting goes at least) can end up having such a large difference in opposing players.

This players explanation is exactly why we moderate the way we do. And why we TRY to explain to the community (though most do not wish to hear it) that the person on the other end of the keyboard might be interested in playing the GAME to play the GAME not become a unicum.

GG +1

Mahalo,

-Hapa

• Cool 6
  • Thanks 2

[O7]
Members
131 posts
32,325 battles

I generally try to be nice, and offer to div with folks if they are doing badly in a game.  The issue where I can get irritated is when there is a sync drop of potato divs, and they have clearly been throwing the game.  I find that to be very bad.  (i.e. sitting back and letting their other clan members on the otherside farm, and then they cap a free cap which makes no sense unless there is coordination).  When I see sub 800-PR div's doing this (i.e. 2 fulls divs from same clan on each side) -- it really seems like that is poor play.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,493 posts
25,503 battles

Thank you for this post. We have a member in our clan who is 70+. He is a retired Marine Gunny who is a Vietnam vet. He was severely injured while serving and suffers multiple physical and combat related problems. He has my very most utmost respect and admiration. He’s very close to my Dad’s age. We help him when he is on and try’s to play. 
I would give you more than one upvote if I could.:Smile_honoring::cap_like:

• Cool 3

[O7]
Members
131 posts
32,325 battles

When I ran TSF we had a clan member with only one hand playing (how he did it is beyond me), but his stats were horrible.  He enjoyed it, and we enjoyed playing with him.  Also had some 70+ year old folks who played,  and they were fun to hear their stories.  I don't mind poor play nor do I think that everyone aspires for greatness.  I think a lot of what makes this game is sitting in TS or Discord and shooting the proveriabl s-it...

• Cool 3

[SLDR]
Members
390 posts
16,612 battles

I play this for the sheer enjoyment of using historical ships.

This.  THIS!

I hope WG keeps this quote on a poster on the wall next to the developers.

Revenue is important, but this quote and this user show why this game is different and unique.   Ridiculous paper / fantasy ships dilute the uniqueness of this game.

• Cool 2

[RBMK]
Members
2,398 posts
38,882 battles
1 hour ago, SFNL said:

I generally try to be nice, and offer to div with folks if they are doing badly in a game.  The issue where I can get irritated is when there is a sync drop of potato divs, and they have clearly been throwing the game.  I find that to be very bad.  (i.e. sitting back and letting their other clan members on the otherside farm, and then they cap a free cap which makes no sense unless there is coordination).  When I see sub 800-PR div's doing this (i.e. 2 fulls divs from same clan on each side) -- it really seems like that is poor play.

People really do that?! Wow.

Beta Testers
1,015 posts
13,231 battles

Great post. No need to verbally abuse someone because pixel boats. 

• Cool 2

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,493 posts
25,503 battles
9 minutes ago, Velled said:

Great post. No need to verbally abuse someone because pixel boats. 

This

[-AF-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,268 posts
15,425 battles
16 minutes ago, SFNL said:

I think a lot of what makes this game is sitting in TS or Discord and shooting the proveriabl s-it...

I agree with this to a point; shooting the stuff with mates/friends/associates while playing makes it good times.   Hearing rants about the game or significant other issues, not so much.   

And I for one play this game for enjoyment;  I wouldn't want someone salting my screen with insults/complaints so I don't issue insults/complaints either.  Other than saying not a great idea to spam torpedos from back there after my ship gets to eat a few friendly torps.  But it happens.   

Anyway good stuff OP and interesting mod there.

[BUOY]
Members
2,028 posts
20,874 battles

It honestly takes extra starchy throwing / botting behavior to get a rise out of me in chat in randoms at least (ranked is far saltier thanks to sav-a-star) since while I know I'm pretty good, I'm certainly not a super unicum who never overextends / anti-Yuro's in thinking the game is 'win by catching ALL the metal fish!' and etc. and that it varies game by game. 

• Cool 2

[O7]
Members
131 posts
32,325 battles
12 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:

It honestly takes extra starchy throwing / botting behavior to get a rise out of me in chat in randoms at least (ranked is far saltier thanks to sav-a-star) since while I know I'm pretty good, I'm certainly not a super unicum who never overextends / anti-Yuro's in thinking the game is 'win by catching ALL the metal fish!' and etc. and that it varies game by game. 

LoL I love te the superunicum who never overextends comment made my day.

[RBMK]
[RBMK]
Members
739 posts
15,454 battles

Gonna print that chat log and place it near the PC. Every time I start to get annoyed by the potato brigade it will remind me it may be this guy driving the spud boat.

Thank you OP 

• Cool 1

[BONKZ]
Privateers
8,008 posts
21,055 battles
1 hour ago, SFNL said:

Yeah, SFNL is great to div with. Love playing with him. He is always offering to div up with me.... Wait a minute..... 

[KWF]
Members
6,767 posts
7,444 battles

In a similar vein, though WoT related, I remember sometime in the past someone posting some questions on Arty gameplay.

The person had pretty bad stats most of hiss battles where in artillery, so quite a few people jumped in to statshame him. 

Turns out he was almost completely blind and artillery was the only class with which he could enjoy the game somewhat. I tend to think of this case when I am about to rage at someone.

Bottom line, you never know who is on the other side, nor his issues.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,432 posts
9,039 battles

Good post..... There is a tremendous amount of this on these very forums....  A failing to understand the player base of this game.  Would do a lot of us some good to read this.     

• Cool 1