You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Learux

My biggest problem with CV's

7 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
807 posts

It is the only true unknow in the match.

I think it is this random element that is the biggest issue for me. 

Random elements have their place in gaming as long as everyone has access to it.

As long as only one ship type can sneak up and expose other ship type positions at will there will be issues.

My DD should have a flare that would show the CV position for about 15 seconds and then take away 20% of their health anywhere on the map.

This unknown/random factor is the issue with CV's

Don't go quoting what CV's can do in real life we are trying to improve a game here..

Although at this point I am not sure if WG is trying to do that.

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles

If you're being found so easily by a CV, you're probably being extremely predictable in your movements. There's nothing random about it if you make yourself an easy target. Playing lots of CV has improved my DD play by leaps and bounds by way of giving me just so much insight into what a DD's typical route is, allowing me to thrive in CV matches, as CVs typically only give a cursory look to those well traveled routes early on. If you simply wait to see where the CV is sending their planes at the start of a match and take a less traveled, vaguely roundabout route to the cap you'll generally be many times safer than if you don't.

Heck, having my CV spotted often results in similar losses. If my hull gets spotted by the CV early on, it's not uncommon BBs open fire, shaving off sizable chunks of my health despite the fact that I'm 20-30km off and moving. Part of why I can't stand playing Audacious, as she's got a bugged turning speed, resulting in something like a 50-60% loss of speed in a turn. Now that I've more or less stopped playing her due to that, the instances aren't quite as common. Easy enough to hit a ship going that slow no matter the range.

• Cool 3
  • Meh 3

[INTEL]
Members
13,063 posts
36,045 battles
28 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Heck, having my CV spotted often results in similar losses. If my hull gets spotted by the CV early on, it's not uncommon BBs open fire, shaving off sizable chunks of my health despite the fact that I'm 20-30km off and moving.

What? Severely damaged by a mechanic you can neither prevent nor avoid, from a distance so great you cannot affect the attacker? Wow. I can see how that must suck for you. 

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Meh 1

[POP]
Members
316 posts
15,204 battles
5 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

If my hull gets spotted by the CV early on, it's not uncommon BBs open fire, shaving off sizable chunks of my health despite the fact that I'm 20-30km off and moving.

Losing health because you were spotted early?  You're probably being predictable in your movements so the CV can find you early. 

As a cv if you lose sizable chunks of your health does it mean you are unlikely to make it to the end of the match or have to play conservatively?

Your advice to the OP is correct, wait to see where the planes are going.   As a dd a player can do nothing about CVs except avoid them unless you are in a few high AA dds in which case you can do something about the planes but still do nothing about high tier CVs.  

I exaggerated there, you can do something, as a dd you can 1) survive until the end of the match, 2) run down a ship that is going 85% of your speed except that you dodge his planes and our speed drops so you don't gain any distance 3) shoot high arcing shots that shatter on the deck, 4) light fires that burn for 5 seconds 5) fire torpedoes at a ship running away from you and hope he screws up enough to take . 

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
5 hours ago, cmdr_bigdog said:

Losing health because you were spotted early?  You're probably being predictable in your movements so the CV can find you early. 

As a cv if you lose sizable chunks of your health does it mean you are unlikely to make it to the end of the match or have to play conservatively?

Your advice to the OP is correct, wait to see where the planes are going.   As a dd a player can do nothing about CVs except avoid them unless you are in a few high AA dds in which case you can do something about the planes but still do nothing about high tier CVs.  

I exaggerated there, you can do something, as a dd you can 1) survive until the end of the match, 2) run down a ship that is going 85% of your speed except that you dodge his planes and our speed drops so you don't gain any distance 3) shoot high arcing shots that shatter on the deck, 4) light fires that burn for 5 seconds 5) fire torpedoes at a ship running away from you and hope he screws up enough to take . 

Yes, it does, actually. A CV missing health becomes an increasingly tempting target for BBs to focus down and our aerial detection is fairly massive. I've had instances where I lost half or more of my health in Audacious (and Langley back when I had to play her, as she's the slowest ship in the game) simply because I nearly can't move at the start of a match. Why is that? Simple, really; a cv can't go straight on most maps, and instead must turn. We're talking a ship that can go 32 knots. Even saying just a 50% loss in a turn due to the bug, which is lower than the actual loss if memory serves, that's 16 knots. That's similar to the speeds a Colorado might see in a turn, but with a 15s rudder and a 1,040 turning radius. That's a speed you can easily hit at 30km if you know her issue and so don't aim overly far ahead. 

With Audacious, her detection by air is 11.22 and by sea is 14.32, and we have a lot more trouble justifying full concealment builds than other ship types. Sure, it's easy enough to make room for the concealment skill, but the upgrade is another matter, as CVs actually have a good option in that slot. If the red team has enough coordination, you can get things like Yuro's 899 video happening with pugs, if with less coordination. There have been rare instances where a BB asks me to spot the CV because the initial spotting of the ship resulted in some cits.

For comparison, Conqueror's base detection is 12.53 and 15.19 respectively. With her taking the expected concealment build, one can typically expect her to have about the same or better detection in both regards.

Would you say that dodging a CV's spotting is easy in a BB? I wouldn't. Similar can be said for a CV, and the distance a CV is to their target dictates their DPM, meaning a CV needs to try and be close enough to have time to run if things get hairy. Not only that, but most CVs aren't well armored, meaning a BB can generally give CVs the cruiser treatment.

Audacious has two problems that caused me to shelve her due to this bug. 1: her ability to run from anything at a reasonable distance outside her detection is more or less curb stomped, and this has gotten me killed more than a few times due to how the autopilot often uses minor course adjustments even in a straight line. 2: Shooting her is just way too easy.

I wasn't saying that it's the exact same as a DD, as it isn't. However, CVs can barely hurt CVs without losing pretty major chunks of our reserves, which is typically not a good idea at all. We also can get hurt very badly simply by being detected if the BBs have good aim. The number of similarities are fairly noticeable, and I was pointing out that CVs have many of the same issues due to this. Much like DDs, people know that CVs are a high value target.

It's a bit silly, really. WG made CVs functionally impervious to their two main threats, DDs and CVs. Thankfully CVs can't spot torps anymore, that said. Always hated that mechanic.

• Haha 1

Members
342 posts
7,606 battles

End game CV is bogus. A CV can just attack you relentlessly and you can't do anything about it. You can't cap, you can barely defend, nada.

• Cool 2