You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Random Thoughts from Deep R'lyeh: Sticker Shock Redux

14 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
24,419 posts
18,377 battles

A seeming age ago, I wrote a post about the true cost of putting a ship in the water in WOWS. I felt it was the right time to return to the topic because the Snowflake Era (Christmas bonuses of one sort or another for every Tier 5-plus ship you have in port) has dis-incentivized the selling of ground-through ships to help meet the costs of the next one and can result in a frantic orgy of grinding - both XP and credits - to get more ships in port as Snowflake Season approaches and the anticipated gains with it.

I'm going to look at the various levels of fitting out of a ship I'm currently working towards - the Tier 8 German tech-tree destroyer Z-23. Data source here

IN-THE-WATER COST: This is what it costs to have the ship in your port; no captain, no camo, no trimmings. Without clan discounts, the Z-23 will set you back 8.8 million credits. If you want to take her out in this state, to knock off a snowflake in co-op or to assess her handling while you decide which upgrade modules you are going to fit, you can recruit a zero-point captain for her at no credit cost and then dump him afterwards. If you want to pay the 50% retraining fee to move your Leberecht Maass captain up without spending doubloons, the in-the-water cost rises to 9.0 Million. 

FITTED-OUT COST: Varies with tier and the number of upgrade modules you can fit. From time to time the upgrades are 50% off, but you might not always be willing to wait for those. The price of upgrade slot 1 is 125,000 credits at full price, doubling for slots 2, 3, 4 and 5. Slot six costs 3 million rather than the expected 4 million. WG beneficence, I guess? You can do the math for yourself, but a Tier 8 ship has five slots and will set you back 3.875 million to fill them all. Round that up a touch, and your fitted-out cost for the Z-23 rises to 12.9 million (including the captain transfer).

FULLY UPGRADED COST: Z-23 offers B modules for the guns (150mm with a slower rate of fire), the hull (more hit points, better rudder shift), the torpedoes (more range) and the gunfire control system (more range). These cost 1.4 million, 2.2 million, 1.3 million and 1.4 million credits respectively. If you're the sort of person who likes to play out the XP costs of these upgrades, the costs can be deferred down the road (but they will have to be paid eventually). If you prefer to use free XP on the B modules to put your ship into the fight in its best possible configuration immediately on purchase, you're looking at an all-op cost of 19 million credits (excluding the captain transfer fee; 19.2 million without it).

This is more than double what it costs to put the basic, factory-fresh ship into the water with an untrained captain who's still nursing the calluses on his hands from the oars of the rowboat he most recently commanded.

Then of course there's the actual retraining, but that's another discussion.

In short, you have to budget. If you obsessively follow only one line of ships up to the exclusion of all else, you're going to be a long time grinding credits because the ship you're trying to get out of is going to be the only thing available to make bank for its replacement. A broadly diversified port, including several premiums (which can be had for coal or FXP if you can't pay money), is VITAL to a viable combat economy.

I used to dump ships only when their combat earnings and their sale price matched the fully upgraded cost. Now that I don't dump ships, I regard a ship as profitable when all the fixed costs above have been met. The more profitable ships you have in your port, the better.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 3

[EQRN]
Members
2,238 posts
20,498 battles

I used to dump ships as soon as I unlocked the next tier to mitigate the costs.  Since the advent of snowflakes I’m now keeping all ships T8 and higher and buying back old ones when sales come around.  With those sales being infrequent my purchases are spread out, so I’m never really hurting for credits, but 200m is a boundary I’ve never passed.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,326 posts
14,923 battles

I am not grinding very hard now and since I play mostly premium/special ships the credits have now passed 300 million.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,419 posts
18,377 battles

@FrodoFraggin After the first Christmas snowflakes I was sort of hesitant to dump ships. After they used the mechanism in the French DD debut event, I vowed never to sell another ship at or above Tier 5 again. Of the tech-tree ships I have actually got to so far, I think I have all the T6 and T7, and am missing so few of the T5 it doesn't matter. 

11 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I am not grinding very hard now and since I play mostly premium/special ships the credits have now passed 300 million.

That's something I'm planning on covering separately. Premiums and ships whose successors (if any) are already bought make credits that aren't earmarked for future expenditure on those ships - essentially "free credits", but the game probably doesn't track that. I'd like to have a gauge for every ship which shows its balance of profit and loss; it would give numbers men like me a lot of encouragement to play those ships and clear those debts.

Stopping a grind at a tier below 10 also makes a huge difference. If I were to stop at Amagi, that's 60 million I don't have to find in fixed costs for Izumo and Yamato, for example, and most of the other T9-10 progressions are probably close to that. Okay, not everything has a C hull like the Izumo, but figure 50 million for every grind to the top after T8 and you get an idea of how costly it can be in the long run.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,326 posts
14,923 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

@FrodoFraggin After the first Christmas snowflakes I was sort of hesitant to dump ships. After they used the mechanism in the French DD debut event, I vowed never to sell another ship at or above Tier 5 again. Of the tech-tree ships I have actually got to so far, I think I have all the T6 and T7, and am missing so few of the T5 it doesn't matter. 

That's something I'm planning on covering separately. Premiums and ships whose successors (if any) are already bought make credits that aren't earmarked for future expenditure on those ships - essentially "free credits", but the game probably doesn't track that. I'd like to have a gauge for every ship which shows its balance of profit and loss; it would give numbers men like me a lot of encouragement to play those ships and clear those debts.

Stopping a grind at a tier below 10 also makes a huge difference. If I were to stop at Amagi, that's 60 million I don't have to find in fixed costs for Izumo and Yamato, for example, and most of the other T9-10 progressions are probably close to that. Okay, not everything has a C hull like the Izumo, but figure 50 million for every grind above Tier 8 and you get an idea of how costly it can be in the long run.

With the premium ships of pretty much any tier and tier 10 regulars with perma camo and premium time it takes a pretty horrible face plant to not at least break even on credits.

Beta Testers
3,304 posts
26,945 battles

I've never dumped any of my ships I kept all 352 of them all fully decked out with around 50 19 point captains which makes it easier to make more 19 pointers...............................

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

I only ever sell ships if I have ZERO intention of playing them again because they're actively unfun, especially from tier V up.  

This has slowed my "progression" because it constrains my credit supply -- but it has left me with a versatile fleet full of ships I mostly like playing and that can handle any strange double or triple mission requirements that WG throws at us.  I ground those ships out, I like playing them, they help me get through missions with less fuss, and I like having them there whenever mood or mission calls me to play them.  

(See also reasons I'll never partake in the Regrind Bureau...) 

It also means that I have a lot of captains in the 12 to 17 point range, but only three 19 point captains so far.) 

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

This is more than double what it costs to put the basic, factory-fresh ship into the water with an untrained captain who's still nursing the calluses on his hands from the oars of the rowboat he most recently commanded.

My laugh of the day right there.... :Smile_teethhappy:

[PHD]
Members
1,930 posts
7,425 battles

My personallity defect of being unable to part with stuff, makes getting rid of my old ships, even <Tier V difficult, but fortunately I don't move up the lines at all fast and don't have that many.

I suppose you could dismount modules and put them in newer ships and maybe change back if you need to play the ship. (So far I haven't done that due to sloth and inexperiance)

Another cost, though hard to calculate the monitary cost, are the Armory modules, at 17,000 coal, that may find their way onto your ships.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,419 posts
18,377 battles
1 minute ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

I suppose you could dismount modules and put them in newer ships and maybe change back if you need to play the ship

That becomes very expensive in doubloons, which eventually equates to spending real money. Credits in WOWS are an infinitely renewable resource requiring only gameplay to accumulate. 

The Armory modules are a way of spending coal to save on credits, but not every module is always optimal for every player on every ship that can fit it.

You are, however, quite correct in that you can avoid the credit crunch by taking a slower approach to going up the lines. 

18 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

ZERO intention of playing them again because they're actively unfun

I can hold my nose for any ship once a year to take its snowflake off. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
12,612 posts
11,708 battles
33 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I can hold my nose for any ship once a year to take its snowflake off. 

Me too, but if I got hard enough up against it for a port slot, I could sell of the Bretagne.

Or the Mikoyan.  And yes, I know its a premium.  I don't buy Santa Crates, and a premium ship in an SC is rarer than hens teeth.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,419 posts
18,377 battles
31 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Me too, but if I got hard enough up against it for a port slot, I could sell of the Bretagne.

Or the Mikoyan.  And yes, I know its a premium.  I don't buy Santa Crates, and a premium ship in an SC is rarer than hens teeth.

But you want it to not be the Mikoyan. Sell the Mikoyan and you WILL get it back. And then you will wonder forever if your one ship from a supercontainer could have been (insert banned ship of choice here).

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
38 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

That's my one rule about not selling, never sell anything that's premium or special.  I even kept the unplayable Dreadnought.  

Just wish the port had a separate "mothball" section to stick those ships in.  

[ARGSY]
Members
24,419 posts
18,377 battles
4 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I even kept the unplayable Dreadnought.  

I got the Dreadnought when she was the Christmas Dailies prize, so I didn't have to pay for her.

She lets me answer the question: "How much better would you have done in the Bellerophon if you had been more experienced?" without having to buy her back and set a captain up for her.

The answer is "Much better, especially when I take Jack Dunkirk out of the Lion and drop him in." :cap_haloween: