You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CANofSNUFF

Low Tier vs High Tier

33 comments in this topic

Members
9 posts
259 battles

I might get some flak (WW II pun intended) and called a bad player for stating this and asking it BUT...

cIcjj0E.jpg

Does anyone else who has been a casual WoWS player over the years or just anyone, in general, prefer the lower tier ships over the mid and higher tier ships? I just feel like the matches are more exciting and last longer in the lower tiers. Perhaps it's the player base since new players are the larger audience here in lower tiers but I've just always enjoyed Tier 3-4 the most. Anyone? :Smile_amazed:

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
4,644 posts
21,740 battles

Yeah I really enjoy the gameplay down there but we get chased off being called seal clubbers at this point

[BSL]
Members
1,232 posts
21,643 battles

Club away!  Who cares if others in the community doesn't like it.

One of my best memories in WoWs were a several of months when @LaaLaa and I would get in one on one match-ups in T1 at 5 AM.

Edited by BearlyHereBear
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,779 posts
21,688 battles

I enjoy almost all tiers T3 and up.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
9,821 posts
14,329 battles
1 hour ago, CANofSNUFF said:

I might get some flak (WW II pun intended) and called a bad player for stating this and asking it BUT...

cIcjj0E.jpg

Does anyone else who has been a casual WoWS player over the years or just anyone, in general, prefer the lower tier ships over the mid and higher tier ships? I just feel like the matches are more exciting and last longer in the lower tiers. Perhaps it's the player base since new players are the larger audience here in lower tiers but I've just always enjoyed Tier 3-4 the most. Anyone? :Smile_amazed:

Low-tier games still have a special place in my heart.
Tiers 2 through 4 are especially fun.
I still enjoy sailing my Friant on occasion, and Tachibana-Lima is a heck of a bang for one's money.  :-)

• Cool 1

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
1 hour ago, CANofSNUFF said:

cIcjj0E.jpg

Someties low tiers are cool, but in some matchs you just get those high tiers regrinding the line, so not every time is cool to play in there.

(You can check it out by clan tags)

[SALVO]
Members
8,213 posts
6,098 battles

I enjoyed a bit too many 3 CV matches last time I played T3-T4. Before that yeah. All tiers are enjoyable in their way. But I prefer overall mid tiers, low tier BBs are a pain on my soul and low tier DDs are a bit unbalanced.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,419 posts
18,377 battles

I'd play my T1-4 ships more if they counted toward something. Even if it was only allowed to be in co-op, so unicums weren't feasting on new players fresh out of protected MM.

• Cool 2

[WOLF5]
Members
1,485 posts
11,047 battles
36 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I'd play my T1-4 ships more if they counted toward something. Even if it was only allowed to be in co-op, so unicums weren't feasting on new players fresh out of protected MM.

Exactly!!!

[CNO]
Members
6,585 posts
19,771 battles

I go low sometimes.  My biggest problem is re-calibrating my lead.  The change in pace is sometimes refreshing, but it often takes me a couple of shots before my internal calibration kicks in.

[-ICE-]
Members
564 posts

I go down sometimes and look for clubbers and will leave the real newbies alone unless they fire at me.. but clubbers i go after.  lol  

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,604 posts
7,195 battles

I like the gameplay at all tiers. One thing about a game like WoWs is that the gameplay changes in certain MM spreads (i.e. tier V-VII games feel different from tier VIII-X games), so jumping around the tiers keeps things fresh. That being said, I definitely prefer the gameplay of tiers III-VIII more than IX and X. Tier IV-VII in particular has some of the most dynamic gameplay in my opinion.

Edited by AdmiralPiett

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,779 posts
21,688 battles
1 hour ago, Soshi_Sone said:

it often takes me a couple of shots before my internal calibration kicks in.

Ain't that the truth.

As for low tier battles not counting towards missions etc, i play botes when I enjoy them, regardless of tier. Low tier ones don't count towards missions, but I'm not playing them to complete missions, I'm playing them because I enjoy them.

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,892 battles

I random the tier I play so if a low tier ship comes up I play it. Low tier battles are lots of fun too.

[KIVA]
Members
192 posts

I've been playing almost exclusively co-op, and didn't venture into randoms at all until I cracked T4, so I don't have very much experience with low-tier PvP and probably won't try it any time soon. I might not have gone back down the ladder at all if I hadn't received Charleston for free as the final new player daily reward... but the first time I took her out after grinding through T6, it was exactly what I needed to unwind. Since I had a better grasp of the game, I wasn't fighting the mechanics to play the ship like I was when I was leveling through Chester and St. Louis, and it was just a good, relaxing bit of "give 'em the broadside!" Then I picked up Smith after watching a video of her, thinking it'd be a good way to unwind with some silly, spammy fun. I ended up using those two low-tier premiums as finishers when I was within one game of the second or third daily crate (whichever I'd decided to play to) but really didn't feel like dropping for another more stressful upper-tier round.

Now I've just made a habit out of playing my last match of the day in a low-tier ship regardless of whether I've got the crate drop or not, or after a string of unsatisfying results from higher-tier games to clear my head before getting back to the grind. I've also picked up Albany and Tachibana L (why is Lima 1/5 the price of the standard Tachi, anyway?), and re-bought all the other low-tier tech tree ships I had space for. They don't get as much playtime, but I don't regret having them there because they're fantastic stress relief, and having a larger selection of them just means I can pick the one that's right for the mood.

Members
2,000 posts
28,681 battles

Fun times now gone, @BearlyHereBear...

Once they took away the Swan's unique combo that allowed point-blank successful engagements, well, if I have to just sail around and shoot I have my <T5 fleet for that kind of play...

[WPORT]
Members
9,821 posts
14,329 battles
7 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

They count towards earning the daily XP needed to get a crate.  :-)

[WPORT]
Members
9,821 posts
14,329 battles
6 hours ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

I go down sometimes and look for clubbers and will leave the real newbies alone unless they fire at me.. but clubbers i go after.  lol  

Just out of curiosity, how do you tell them apart?  :-)

[-ICE-]
Members
564 posts
17 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Just out of curiosity, how do you tell them apart?  :-)

They the ones that dont miss... use rocks to hide and have hot ships with camo.. the new guys dont have enough coin for camo, stay in the open and miss alot..   haha   

Edited by CRZY_TRAIN
  • Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
9,821 posts
14,329 battles
1 minute ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

They the ones that dont miss... use rocks to hide and have hot ships with camo.. the new guys dont have enough coin for camo, stay in the open and miss alot..   haha   

Thanks for the answer.  :-)
Hope to see you on the virtual seas.  :-)

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
3,503 posts
7,388 battles

I rarely go down to low tiers.  Though I do love some of the ships ( St Louis  is amazing).   Mostly in divs  when we do a "Sh***er  train"  We start at tier 3 and have to win at least one match before we go up to the next tier the train is over when we win a T10 match.   Sometimes by my lonesome too but thats rare, mostly because not wanting to be labeled a seal clubber.   

Edited by eviltane

Members
9 posts
259 battles
4 hours ago, eviltane said:

I rarely go down to low tiers.  Though I do love some of the ships ( St Louis  is amazing).   Mostly in divs  when we do a "Sh***er  train"  We start at tier 3 and have to win at least one match before we go up to the next tier the train is over when we win a T10 match.   Sometimes by my lonesome too but thats rare, mostly because not wanting to be labeled a seal clubber.   

Haha! That's my favorite Tier 3 ship and definitely my most played ship. Honestly, I have all the way up to Tier 8 but I haven't played beyond Tier 6 but just a handful of times. I haven't had any interest but then again I'm just a casual player and lately just now spending a lot of time on this game. It's always been fun for me and I've enjoyed it very much but just didn't grind out anything crazy. I came back after not playing for a few years and had a ton of ships and money to spend it seemed like. 

I think the biggest issue for me is that all my friends that I know in Discord and real-life would never play games like this and I always wanted to but just stuck with League of Legends, Apex Legends, CoD, etc... because that's all they would play and everyone knows playing video games by yourself can get boring and lonely very fast. Especially games that are enhanced by team coordination such as this. 

• Cool 1

[STW-N]
Members
4,218 posts
10,277 battles

For me, it's tier 6, and that's just because my favorite ship resides at that tier. It's also the most interesting tier for me—a good balance where the meta is a blend of high-tier sniping and low-tier aggressive tactics.