Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Simulator_Ace

Carrier matchmaking

3 comments in this topic

[TIAN]
Members
2 posts
1,156 battles

I am new here, so I am sure this is a dead horse.  I know the carriers are somewhat controversial in this game.  So I have played WoWS Legends on xbox for quite a while.  Really enjoyed the game but as a aviation fan I have wanted to try carrier gameplay for some time.  I recently got a PC upgrade and started playing.  Beelined to the Langley and then ground it up to the Ranger.  The Langley was okay to play but felt weak but I was able to land hits as long as I targeted accurately.  Now in the Ranger, I am constantly put up against t8 ships that shred my planes no matter what I do.  I feel that pitting t6 ships against t8 ones is too much of a power gap to be fun.  And the only purpose I see for doing so is for match making to be quicker and easier for the devs.  I cannot see another good reason for doing mid-tier or top tier matching with these power gaps.  If I get a t5, t6 game I have a good time usually, but t8 matches make me just want to quit playing the game.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,126 posts
9,284 battles

T5s and up can see +2, and T7 up can see -2. If you don't like +/-2, stick below T5, simple as that. Tiers work very differently on console, as things are compact so as to fit in just 7 tiers. If they had more tiers, they would have a spread of 2 as well.

As for planes being shredded by T8s as a T6 CV, that's really just specific ships that do that. You just have to research what ships not to target, avoid flak clouds, avoid fighters and avoid ships that aren't at least mostly alone and you'll be fine. Focus more on the T6 and 7 ships when possible. Wiggling through flak helps, too. Atlanta, Flint, Baltimore, Cleveland, Prinz Eitel Friedrich, Kidd, Massachusetts and Cheshire are specifically potent ships to avoid. I'm sure there's more, but those come to mind first.

Ohh, and Texas also hurts despite being a T5. She's no mass, but don't expect the same results you might get by attacking other T5s.

A good rule of thumb it to assume T8+ cruisers will shred your planes, and similar can be said of T8+ pan euro DDs and T8+ American ships. Avoid striking CVs of any tier, as they deploy fighters automatically and can't usually be set on fire.

As for why... well, challenge and a shift in dynamic. A top tier and bottom tier match. As a bottom, you must be very methodical in your approach. You aren't the protagonist of the battle, you are the supporting cast. Personally, I struggle more being top tier! It's much easier to support the strong than to shoulder the burden of your team.

[TIAN]
Members
2 posts
1,156 battles

Those are good suggestions. I watched some videos and I am going to review the tech tree from t5 through 8 to get a better idea of who to target.  I also realized that I need to just focus on DDs early game too.  Even if I cant outright kill, I can spot and chase them out of caps.  Its kind of frustrating I cant get more points for these actions, but I like to win.  Maybe I should just go back to playing BBs. I am used to being top of leader boards in WoWS legends lol

Sign in to follow this