You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Tommycooker44

Disappearing Targets

46 comments in this topic

[CLAWS]
Members
1 post
6,872 battles

Well hacking is alive and well in WOW.

I just finished a game were the ships would disappear when my guns loaded.

I would move to the next ship and it would disappear just before target indicator was approaching that ship.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

• Cool 1
  • Haha 2

[NGA-A]
Members
1,285 posts
7,481 battles

LOL, someone needs to learn how the game works before saying there is hacking.  It's called detection.  It's not hacking.  You were just outside their detection range and lost spotting of this ship.  I love how everyone wants to claim hacking when they can't figure out how the game works.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 1

Members
208 posts
6,052 battles

Happen? yes. Cheating? I doubt it.

There is usually a delay after a ship comes out from behind and island and before it can be seen by enemy players. My guess is there is some syncing issues issues and ships appear for only a moment when they either should have appeared sooner, or when they should not appear. Although that is just a guess, it seems to happen to often to just be a coincidence.

Members
208 posts
6,052 battles
2 minutes ago, Raven_of_Norway said:

LOL, someone needs to learn how the game works before saying there is hacking.  It's called detection.  It's not hacking.  You were just outside their detection range and lost spotting of this ship.  I love how everyone wants to claim hacking when they can't figure out how the game works.

I think he is referring to the times where a ship will only be spotted for a moment, even if they are not moving. Like, so brief that an ally ship spotting him couldn't even get out of the enemy ships spotting range sort of brief.

[NGA-A]
Members
1,285 posts
7,481 battles
Just now, JimmyTheRealPirate said:

I think he is referring to the times where a ship will only be spotted for a moment, even if they are not moving. Like, so brief that an ally ship spotting him couldn't even get out of the enemy ships spotting range sort of brief.

Exactly, which depends on their detection like I said.  But like I was saying and so many others have said it before, its not a hack, but when people don't want to learn how the game actually works, they want to say someone is hacking the game.

[PVE]
Members
11,076 posts
19,206 battles
11 minutes ago, Raven_of_Norway said:

After 6000 battles if the OP doesn't understand detection they never will. I does get maddening when you aim at a ship to line up a good shot and it winks out of existence for a while.

It could be the shot distance gun bloom timer ran out.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 3

[PVE]
Members
8,505 posts
24,658 battles
50 minutes ago, Tommycooker44 said:

I would move to the next ship and it would disappear just before target indicator was approaching that ship.

1st off welcome to the forums :-)

Ships have a 20 second timer after they fire that they are spotted at their gun range & after the 20 seconds runs out if they are out of range of ships being able to detect them they go dark.

Also...if your DD (or a cruiser w/smoke) was spotting them & then they smoke (r [edited] behind an island in relationship to them) they lose detection & the ship goes dark.

There's actually so many variables that effect detection...can you post the replay of the battle in question?

[-BUI-]
Members
2,703 posts
7,030 battles

How can you have 6000 battles and not understand detection?   Did you buy this account?

• Cool 3

[WORX]
Members
13,334 posts
20,173 battles

My  senses are going crazy on this thread...

How do one have the stats the OP have. Yet, ask a question a person who have done what his stats says he has done... Should know, he should understand the basics of spotting?

This doesn't make any sense nor does it add up...

Just saying.

• Cool 1

[GGWP]
Members
7,589 posts
17,954 battles
2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

My  senses are going crazy on this thread...

How do one have the stats the OP have. Yet, ask a question a person who have done what his stats says he has done... Should know, he should understand the basics of spotting?

This doesn't make any sense nor does it add up...

Just saying.

Remember the one guy who posted on the forum with 7000 battles how to make the silver stars turn into gold stars and why he couldn't use the silver stars anywhere that silver stars were used??

[WORX]
Members
13,334 posts
20,173 battles
48 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Remember the one guy who posted on the forum with 7000 battles how to make the silver stars turn into gold stars and why he couldn't use the silver stars anywhere that silver stars were used??

I wish I had rain man's abilities to remember posts in the forums Ducky...

Your only glimmer of hope is not confusing one duck with the other duck...  Other then that no promises. :cap_old:

[WOLF3]
Members
30,997 posts
26,056 battles
6 hours ago, Zenn3k said:

How can you have 6000 battles and not understand detection?   Did you buy this account?

Lots of people have no idea what they're doing.  Let me use a very old example from years ago.  One of my favorite threads I've bookmarked :Smile_popcorn:

This was 2016, right smack in the middle of the RTS CV era.

In those days CVs had a "Strafe" mechanic with manual attacks.  Basically a fighter unit can be lined up like you do a manual torpedo attack and they'll shoot up aircraft in that corridor.  Done right and you can wipe out scores of planes.  The OP in that thread ran into that problem, apparently losing his ENTIRE bomber strike group, and thought there was cheating going on.

"I sent 4 squadrons up against his 2 squadrons, and he wiped out all 20 planes in less then 5 seconds."

:Smile_teethhappy:

There was absolutely no cheating.  It was the enemy CV player doing what he was supposed to do and using game mechanics that all CVs had.  The big problem to me at the time was the OP there was playing a Tier X Hakuryu.  This was a mechanic possible in the first CVs in Tier IV.  People were strafing each other even in low tiers.  Yet there we were, a Tier X CV player being completely confused and ignorant on a game mechanic that Tier IV CVs were using on each other.

If the OP in that thread had complained as a new CV player in has brand new Hosho or Langley, that's a totally different story.  He's new and didn't know any better.  But the dude was in a Tier X Carrier and had zero idea of a mechanic that CV players were using heavily against each other as early as Tier IV.

There's a lot of players like that out there.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
2,845 posts
15,096 battles
7 hours ago, Tommycooker44 said:

48 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

This was a mechanic possible in the first CVs in Tier IV.  People were strafing each other even in low tiers.  Yet there we were, a Tier X CV player being completely confused and ignorant on a game mechanic that Tier IV CVs were using on each other.

If the OP in that thread had complained as a new CV player in has brand new Hosho or Langley, that's a totally different story.  He's new and didn't know any better.  But the dude was in a Tier X Carrier and had zero idea of a mechanic that CV players were using heavily against each other as early as Tier IV.

Didn't they end up removing strafing from the T4 and 5?

I seem to recall being unable to strafe unless in a T6 and higher before RTS was removed.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
30,997 posts
26,056 battles
1 hour ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Didn't they end up removing strafing from the T4 and 5?

I seem to recall being unable to strafe unless in a T6 and higher before RTS was removed.

They did, around 2018, IIRC, possibly December 2017.  The change wasn't in the game too long before the CV Rebork.

IIRC, that change came at the same time USN CVs got revamped, along with the introduction of AP Bombs in later USN Tech Tree CVs.  With no strafing, Zuiho in Tier V then had a terrible time against the improved Bogue.  Before that, Zuiho absolutely, completely dominated Tier V.

Tier VI CVs however were able to still Strafe.  I remember after the changes happened you had a terrible disparity of new CV players that never played with Strafes in Tier IV-V and coming across veteran CV players from VI+ that did know.  You can imagine how that went if your team had the CV player that didn't know.

And my friend questioned why I was so obsessed with AA Builds in those days :Smile_hiding:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SMOKD]
Members
48 posts
13,837 battles

I don’t know if OP is truly the idiot you all claim him to be. I’ve been seeing similar things, as have many clan members. Now I don’t think it’s cheating, desync issues or game issue yes. But there is still an issue out there with spotting. BBs shouldn’t be able to go dark 5 seconds after firing, DDs/ cruisers shouldn’t be shooting down planes without being spotted, etc etc. Either the desync issue is worse than we know or the game is getting messed up somehow. Before you blame my internet I consistently have 30-35 ms ping times in game. 

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[UEFN]
Members
1,354 posts
25,766 battles

It's just a rendering/sync issue from the game, i have seen the smolensk got out of his smoke while he continues to spam HE at my Agir, but i can't see his ship even after his smoke was long gone, while he was kiting

• Thanks 1

[-ICE-]
Members
567 posts

I see sort of same alot but I dont think its cheating...  ships disappear just as ur guns load or as a ship comes out from behind a island and a few other instances. I did read a post that said its just the game and how it works so... maybe something is off but might not be cheating.    

I have been seeing something that I do feel is questionable say if your in a game and its flowing fine then all of a sudden when your about to get into a hot situation the game goes sluggish, you cant aim, ur screen is lagged really bad.. ect ect or the game just closes and goes to windows.  Not really sure how to explain these two.. its almost like someone forces a whole lot of info and jams up the game then after ur sunk it seems to all go back to normal or the game just closes idk unless the windows button is hit but i really feel it happens without hitting the button... then you have to reopen it, not reload it just reopen it and it takes about 5 seconds..  but IDK it happens sometimes though

Edited by CRZY_TRAIN

[TDRB]
Members
5,327 posts
13,743 battles

I miss read the number of battles on this account. One would tend to think after 6000+ battle a simple grasp of detection would be had.

It would be natural to assume, based on that knowledge either OP was trolling or came into possession of an established account. 

Just my rethought take.

Edited by kgh52
complete rewrite

[YORHA]
Members
5,370 posts
10,521 battles
26 minutes ago, daikujin said:

I don’t know if OP is truly the idiot you all claim him to be. I’ve been seeing similar things, as have many clan members. Now I don’t think it’s cheating, desync issues or game issue yes. But there is still an issue out there with spotting. BBs shouldn’t be able to go dark 5 seconds after firing, DDs/ cruisers shouldn’t be shooting down planes without being spotted, etc etc. Either the desync issue is worse than we know or the game is getting messed up somehow. Before you blame my internet I consistently have 30-35 ms ping times in game. 

Seriously?

BBs can go dark 1 second after shooting IF the ship spotting them goes out of range or behind an island and there are no other ships in line of sight or in range..

DDs can can shoot down planes without being spotted because their detection is lower than the planes and some of the newer ones have massive AA power against lower tier CVs with weak planes (I'm looking at you Kaga... Tier 7 planes in Tier 10 battles)..

9800+ battles is now  the new high water mark for not understanding basic game mechanics.

[CNO]
Members
6,601 posts
19,848 battles

The opposite sort of happened for me the other day.  Fiji was pushing into smoke already laid by a DD.  Ostensibly, he was going to use the DD smoke until it ran out and then pop his own.  I had him dead in my sights as he entered the smoke, and lost lock as he disappeared.  I was so hoping he would run through the smoke, but he didn't...damn!  He had put on the brakes...but where?  

Then, that beautiful concept of detection...by plane.   He had overrun the smoke, but the smoke was along my line of sight, so he was still unseen.  Our CV just happened to spot him at this instant.  I don't think he flew there to spot him...just the normal serendipitous things that happen in a match.  He just happened to have an aircraft in spotting range as the Fiji pushed out of the smoke on the other side.

As anyone knows who plays UK cruisers with smoke...that moment you're spotted just as you settle in is major vulnerability time.  My guns were already pointed in that direction...fully loaded...I had just about given up on him, when out of no where..THERE...HE...WAS.  OMG!  Don't eff this one up Soshi.  Line it up.  You only have one shot at this.  Full salvo (8 sixteens from a Colorado at mid to short range).  Whammo...multiple hits...two cits...Devastating Strike.  Man this game is fun.  

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,733 posts
11,192 battles
10 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

It could be the shot distance gun bloom timer ran out.

I'd guess that this or something similar happened.  All that has to happen is that the spotting ship breaks line of site, and the ship disappears for everyone else.

[WOLFG]
Members
33,672 posts
10,473 battles
11 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I does get maddening when you aim at a ship to line up a good shot and it winks out of existence for a while.

Lol yup, even better when you shoot at something else, and immediately after the shells leave the barrel, the original target pops up again!

I think I do it to myself sometimes, the target ship is on a straight course, at the edge of detection, and my random anti-torpedo maneuvers bring me back and forth over the detection line.