You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
sasquatch_research

Is Yoshino worth it in todays meta?

12 comments in this topic

[WAMMY]
Members
2,603 posts
14,477 battles

Hey

I'm sitting on a decent amount of coal and know there are other ships coming up sometime soon.  I have been playing Azuma and been having fun with it and thinking about getting Yoshino, but how is it in todays meta, and in clan battles: is it still a viable?  I don't have many Japanese ships but do have my 19pt. special Yamamoto captain to put in it.  I thought about Marceau but not sure I like those floaty types shells, they drive me crazy.  Suggestions, get or not get??

Pete

[PVE]
Members
11,076 posts
19,206 battles

It has the second lowest win rate of the tier 10 cruisers, although it has higher than the average of damage. You can check it's stats against the other tier 10 Cruisers here. https://na.wows-numbers.com/ships/

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

Members
12,615 posts
14,320 battles

Yoshino is still a very good cruiser if you take the time to learn how to use her / know how to use her. And if a pair of Yoshino are working together they get really strong.

[BIER]
Members
463 posts
7,417 battles

I really dislike the Azuma - it's a bad shadow copy of the Henri IV, which is available for free. The Azuma has a large number of glaring weaknesses, and really is much less fun than it's tech tree cousin, the Ibuki, which is equally if not significantly more effective.

However, the Yoshino fixes several problems that the Azuma has:  it has very usable torpedoes, and somewhat better armor, along with slightly better guns.

If you personally enjoy the Azuma, then the Yoshino is a straight upgrade that is better in all aspects.  I would highly recommend the Yoshino instead of the Azuma every time - in fact, I can't see any reason to own the Azuma at all. It's just a crap ship, while the Yoshino is serviceable. 

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Members
4 posts
2,106 battles

do u guys recommend yoshino to someone who has a little experience of japanese ca? and does anyone know how good her armor is?

[WOLFG]
Members
12,696 posts
11,804 battles
40 minutes ago, gaijin_2019 said:

do u guys recommend yoshino to someone who has a little experience of japanese ca? and does anyone know how good her armor is?

At tier 10, her armor is pretty bad

• Thanks 1

[META_]
Members
1,832 posts
18,967 battles

Sorry didn't look at the date on the original post

Edited by Meta_Man

[WPORT]
Members
9,942 posts
14,430 battles
On 6/22/2020 at 11:22 PM, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

I'm sitting on a decent amount of coal and know there are other ships coming up sometime soon.  I have been playing Azuma and been having fun with it and thinking about getting Yoshino, but how is it in todays meta, and in clan battles: is it still a viable?  I don't have many Japanese ships but do have my 19pt. special Yamamoto captain to put in it.  I thought about Marceau but not sure I like those floaty types shells, they drive me crazy.  Suggestions, get or not get??

Pete

I like my Yoshino and enjoy playing it in Co-op.
It might struggle more in random battles.

I recently experimented with a "Lighthouse build" that eschews concealment in favor of other Captain's skills that improve gunfire dispersion.  It was interesting.  I was using a 15 point Commander for that experiment.
Most of the time my Yoshino is using a 10 point Commander with a standard (for me) Cruiser build.

I enjoy sailing the Azuma and wanted her higher-tier sister, too.

In theory, they're both the same in turning radius & speed, but Yoshino feels slightly less maneuverable than Azuma, in my perception.  I can't explain it.

Spoiler

shot-21_05.08_11_52.59-0836.thumb.jpg.19343f0257f65acabc5876f27cc21a45.jpg

shot-21_05.08_11_52.43-0859.thumb.jpg.e19dbc8e076dfd824295537b8da58196.jpg

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
9,942 posts
14,430 battles
10 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

I like both Azuma/Yoshino  but the torps,slightly better accuracy, slightly better range, better AA doesn't equate to better per tier though....Azuma sees tier 7.....that makes a bigger difference than the extra attributes the Yoshino gets....Is having fun with the next evolution of the Azuma what you want then the Yoshino?  Then yes she's worth it...If you're looking for an upgrade that will increase winrate,  then you'll probably be disappointed...I have both and love both as an extension of a progression of the Atago in my mind....I will be posting an Azuma game I had last week soon .. So yes I do play all 3 but it's for fun more than winrate......

Since you mentioned your replays, I'll toss-in some of my recent replays.
Nothing fancy, but the replays do add information and allow someone to evaluate a ship according to the play-style being depicted.

20210512_210359_PJSC520-Yoshino_22_tierra_del_fuego.wowsreplay
20210513_203536_PJSC510-Azumaya_52_Britain.wowsreplay
20210513_212154_PJSC520-Yoshino_37_Ridge.wowsreplay

[-BTP-]
Members
384 posts
12,860 battles

I have had the Yoshino, for a week now. I do like it, have not been citadel. The launch arcs for the 20km torpedoes are good. 

[ALL41]
[ALL41]
Members
47 posts
10,847 battles

I love my Yoshino in co-op; it has become my first choice for a cruiser over Zao and Atago.