You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
anonym_9qa81sg1ET3c

Lucky Guess?

18 comments in this topic

Members
757 posts

This just happened a few minutes ago. I remember thread where somebody posted a video of somebody blind firing at another ship. There were various explanations. I made sure I looked around to be sure there were no other ships the other player could be firing at and I was not spotted. The only other ship that could out spot me was south of B. The momentary spotting is due to catching fire which increases detection range.

Thoughts?

Edit: I play at an odd resolution of 5120x1440 so change video playback to 4k.

Edited by anonym_9qa81sg1ET3c

[CYNIC]
Members
3,053 posts
8,311 battles

Oddly specific -- you were on RPF so it could have been a lucky guess if it was the sinop that had RPF -- With its dispersion hard to say.  I've had some extremely questionable shots taken at me in the friesland before though and I wasn't hugging the border nor detected.

0 posts
4 minutes ago, CV_Jeebies said:

Oddly specific -- you were on RPF so it could have been a lucky guess if it was the sinop that had RPF -- With its dispersion hard to say.  I've had some extremely questionable shots taken at me in the friesland before though and I wasn't hugging the border nor detected.

I can check the replay again because shortly after that the Sinop gets sunk and that should tell me if it was his RPF.

Edit: just checked and I was the closest ship on the team to the Sinop and the RPF notification goes away at some point meaning it was another players RPF.

Edited by Ban_CV_Complainers

Members
4,636 posts
45,353 battles

Hmmm, I can't see the video off my phone well.

But I do have a question. Did anybody see you from his team at all at that position or as you approach that position?

Because any spot by any player would leave a last known position mark. That would allow the sinop guess.

Otherwise, there is no way to get an exact triangulation because that takes really good communication and coordination. Like GPS accurate. You need 3 ships light up your ship with RPF at the same time and then they vector that. And that is assuming you stay there.

No it's either a shot in the dark with Stalin's mustache as a guidance system, or an illegal mod.

[TIMT]
Members
1,707 posts
5,589 battles

Well, I sometimes take blind shots at the edge of caps when I see them being capped, especially if that is behind an island to provide cover. Kinda a last ditch effort for resets, and 99% of the time you dont hit anything. Here he might have gotten extra info as you spotted him despite the rest of your team having no line of sight (? judging from minimap, might be wrong), so he know it must be the DD spotting him. Then you look at the corners and see there are only very few places in that cap you could be without him spotting you but you spotting him.

Honestly, I would not have put that together during the game but thinking about it for a bit that might be totally possible. Then it is just about RNG....

Members
859 posts
4,679 battles

You were in the cap and being RPF'd. With a ship in front of you that you only had a 1.8km concealment gap on which doesn't leave a huge amount of the cap zone that your ship could have been hiding in. And you were spotting him, which lets him know you aren't hiding behind an island.

Between those four pieces of information, that's more than enough to take an educated guess shot and he got lucky.

I personally won a game a few months ago where I took a blind fire salvo into a tiny part of the cap zone I could reach in my ship, with the only thing I knew being that they were capping and were probably still inside my ship range. I got one hit, reset their cap counter and won the game. And that was at three times the distance, with no RPF or spotting on either side. I just got lucky.

Edited by macktkau2
  • Cool 1

0 posts
7 minutes ago, macktkau2 said:

You were in the cap and being RPF'd. With a ship in front of you that you only had a 1.8km concealment gap on which doesn't leave a huge amount of the cap zone that your ship could have been hiding in. And you were spotting him, which lets him know you aren't hiding behind an island.

Between those four pieces of information, that's more than enough to take an educated guess shot and he got lucky.

I personally won a game a few months ago where I took a blind fire salvo into a tiny part of the cap zone I could reach in my ship, with the only thing I knew being that they were capping and were probably still inside my ship range. I got one hit, reset their cap counter and won the game. And that was at three times the distance, with no RPF or spotting on either side. I just got lucky.

It was not his RPF though if you see above. The only thing he had is that I was spotted in that area about 2min prior.

Members
859 posts
4,679 battles

I would guess the RPF ship was spamming the map square (since you were capping, which narrows down the square) which would let the other ship know that's where you might be.

Edited by macktkau2

[GGWP]
Members
7,577 posts
17,888 battles

You have taken damage so you were spotted before, likely right in that position. You may have even backed out of the cap and then went back forward right into that position. So there is a nice little marker on the mini map for them to shoot at and get lucky. I do it all the time because there are DD players everywhere that think they are safe when they are dark while sitting in the exact same spot as they were last spotted. It's not rocket science.

0 posts
Just now, Ducky_shot said:

You have taken damage so you were spotted before, likely right in that position. You may have even backed out of the cap and then went back forward right into that position. So there is a nice little marker on the mini map for them to shoot at and get lucky. I do it all the time because there are DD players everywhere that think they are safe when they are dark while sitting in the exact same spot as they were last spotted. It's not rocket science.

That's about the only thing I can think of but wow is it lucky because 2 min had passed since I got into a tangle with another sunk DD.

[TIMT]
Members
1,707 posts
5,589 battles
11 minutes ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

The only thing he had is that I was spotted in that area about 2min prior.

Then he knew which ship was hiding/capping so he somewhat knew the range to go for (i.e. your concealment). in combination with being spotted he could deduce that you were most likely in that area, since it was the part of the cap furthest away from that BB.

[GGWP]
Members
7,577 posts
17,888 battles

No it would have only been lucky if he had done it a few seconds earlier and reset you.

• Cool 1

[TWFT]
Members
1,503 posts
41,286 battles

You are capping in the corner of the cap, have been spotted before so the last position marker on the mini map has your parking spot, and you are not really moving much.  You are located, and even if you were located by another player other then the Sinop then that player could have pinged the map.

[REVY]
Members
2,819 posts
15,025 battles
10 hours ago, macktkau2 said:

I would guess the RPF ship was spamming the map square (since you were capping, which narrows down the square) which would let the other ship know that's where you might be.

10 hours ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

That's about the only thing I can think of but wow is it lucky because 2 min had passed since I got into a tangle with another sunk DD.

5 hours ago, Turbotush said:

You are capping in the corner of the cap, have been spotted before so the last position marker on the mini map has your parking spot, and you are not really moving much.  You are located, and even if you were located by another player other then the Sinop then that player could have pinged the map.

Yeah, I gotta agree, I think you sat in one spot for too long.
RPF ship was likely pinging the map along the direction the RPF indicated, and given you had been spotted previously, Sinop took a lucky guess. Given he only fired one turret and the ships dispersion it was a very lucky guess.

If he had fired off the full broadside at you, I'd have leaned toward some kind of hack. But one turret, he was searching.

[SALVO]
Members
3,496 posts
7,388 battles
12 hours ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

This just happened a few minutes ago. I remember thread where somebody posted a video of somebody blind firing at another ship. There were various explanations. I made sure I looked around to be sure there were no other ships the other player could be firing at and I was not spotted. The only other ship that could out spot me was south of B. The momentary spotting is due to catching fire which increases detection range.

Thoughts?

Edit: I play at an odd resolution of 5120x1440 so change video playback to 4k.

I think what you got here is you being in a really common spot for DDs to cap and the Sinop took a random shot. 

[INTEL]
Members
3,473 posts
19,901 battles
12 hours ago, macktkau2 said:

2 hours ago, eviltane said:

I think what you got here is you being in a really common spot for DDs to cap and the Sinop took a random shot. 

This.  Having nothing else to shoot at I would have taken this same shot.  The spot you are in is a choke point and a frequent resting place for DDs.