You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JimmyTheRealPirate

AA is broken...?

12 comments in this topic

Members
203 posts
5,977 battles

I know, I know. The first thing to come to your mind is either "Oh my lawd, not this again", or "Oh YES this again!".

But it's not that. This post is to ask if people have been noticing a delay in AA response time. For a few games now, my AA won't start doing damage until enemy aircraft are well within its range for a few moment. For example, 2 or 3 games ago a lexington flew at my Thunderer (6KM range), but my first numbers (auto aura damage) didn't start showing up until their planes were 5.2 KM away. This is also affecting priority sector damage, the burst damage when you activate the sector doesn't seem to do damage until after the first auto tick does damage.

Anyone else noticing an unusual delay from when planes enter your AA zone to when they actually start taking damage?

• Cool 1

0 posts

As a CV driver I've been noticing the opposite end of the stick. When I get outside of a ship's AA zone I still take damage for a while. Seems like there is some latency on WG's side for sure.

• Cool 3

Members
203 posts
5,977 battles
20 minutes ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

As a CV driver I've been noticing the opposite end of the stick. When I get outside of a ship's AA zone I still take damage for a while. Seems like there is some latency on WG's side for sure.

I noticed that as well, but never noticed it this bad before. :/

[KIA-T]
Beta Testers
1,857 posts
6,442 battles

IIRC, its because AA guns have a "reload" and start off the game unloaded and won't load until planes are in their range, delaying the first burst of fire. Its really stupid and I honestly don't know why it hasn't been fixed.

• Cool 1

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles
1 hour ago, OseanTanker said:

IIRC, its because AA guns have a "reload" and start off the game unloaded and won't load until planes are in their range, delaying the first burst of fire. Its really stupid and I honestly don't know why it hasn't been fixed.

It's because prior to making it so that was how things are planes would often start being shot down before the ship that was shooting at them actually rendered. It was a purposeful change. As a side effect planes now take damage even after leaving AA range if the shot is "fired" before they do. Blame WG's engine and it's rendering issues with concealed ships.

Members
4,629 posts
45,333 battles

As I do use CVs a bit, I accelerate to the target so if the AA starts I am within 4 km.

A plane at 150 knots airspeed is 277 kph. That would be 2.3 km every 30 secs. Add latency of 1 sec, factor in a boost and the AA may have activated but the flak bursts are on the outer range.

Assume the 4 km rule of staying that close will minimize plane damage to DPM only.

So, you attack by acceleration to get inside 4 km. No flak, but AA does fire. Now, as for flying away. A ship travels roughly 21 knots average. A dive bomber hits from bow to stern. But the ship moved .63 km per minute. A bomb run that takes you to the stern and further would see flak that was fired about .4km away that took about a few seconds to get to altitude. So I guess at about 1 km further due to delay of the AA round.
That is why I do a linear drop and bank a turn back to the ship.

If I fly by, I am getting hit. Flak has a timed fuse or a radio fuse depending on nation.

Timed is exactly that. A set time. Some nations even dialed the exact time. Old US AA on WV had timed fuse AA.

Radio uses wave interupted proximity. The fuse emits a radio wave and if it is interfered with, then the switch to the fuse proxes or makes.

In my job, we use sensors of various types and some are derived from this technology that was developed during the war.

The combination of latency and probably WG accurately depicting certain nation AA type ammo may be the culprit.

And not all AA guns are created equal.

The IJN used optical technology and timed fuses. US and allies used radio and radar.

[G-O-W]
Members
1,089 posts
3,191 battles

Noticed no change. My Ryujo is always uptiered to tier 8 and most squadrons gets completely shredded before they get within range. Unless it's a cute little DD wandering around by itself...

• Boring 1

[BONKS]
Members
2,843 posts
52 battles

The only thing I've noticed over on EU is horrendous lag spikes last weekend, making playing CVs practically impossible. Haven't noticed anything about AA itself however, but it sounds like a simple latency issue.

You have to keep in mind that this is a server sided game and it is quarantine season still, meaning there is a higher number of players than usual which is taxing WG servers beyond their limits. iEarlGrey has a video on it. And yes, desync does affect CVs as well.
Only solution for that would be for WG to provide better server infrastructure - which they're ofc not going to do because quarantine and thus elevated player numbers won't last forever, meaning it wouldn't be a profitable investment.

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,602 posts
23,061 battles
8 hours ago, OseanTanker said:

Yes, but I thought it was "fixed??" some patches ago

[SALVO]
Members
3,496 posts
7,388 battles
6 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

As I do use CVs a bit, I accelerate to the target so if the AA starts I am within 4 km.

A plane at 150 knots airspeed is 277 kph. That would be 2.3 km every 30 secs. Add latency of 1 sec, factor in a boost and the AA may have activated but the flak bursts are on the outer range.

Assume the 4 km rule of staying that close will minimize plane damage to DPM only.

So, you attack by acceleration to get inside 4 km. No flak, but AA does fire. Now, as for flying away. A ship travels roughly 21 knots average. A dive bomber hits from bow to stern. But the ship moved .63 km per minute. A bomb run that takes you to the stern and further would see flak that was fired about .4km away that took about a few seconds to get to altitude. So I guess at about 1 km further due to delay of the AA round.
That is why I do a linear drop and bank a turn back to the ship.

If I fly by, I am getting hit. Flak has a timed fuse or a radio fuse depending on nation.

Timed is exactly that. A set time. Some nations even dialed the exact time. Old US AA on WV had timed fuse AA.

Radio uses wave interupted proximity. The fuse emits a radio wave and if it is interfered with, then the switch to the fuse proxes or makes.

In my job, we use sensors of various types and some are derived from this technology that was developed during the war.

The combination of latency and probably WG accurately depicting certain nation AA type ammo may be the culprit.

And not all AA guns are created equal.

The IJN used optical technology and timed fuses. US and allies used radio and radar.

Sorry but this is not how AA is simulated in this game at all.  I gotta run so won’t explain but it’s way simpler. You have a couple different auras on different cycles.  You have flak which your ship spawns at set intervals and spacing to target. That’s it, no simulating. 

Edited by eviltane

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
10 hours ago, JimmyTheRealPirate said:

I know, I know. The first thing to come to your mind is either "Oh my lawd, not this again", or "Oh YES this again!".

But it's not that. This post is to ask if people have been noticing a delay in AA response time. For a few games now, my AA won't start doing damage until enemy aircraft are well within its range for a few moment. For example, 2 or 3 games ago a lexington flew at my Thunderer (6KM range), but my first numbers (auto aura damage) didn't start showing up until their planes were 5.2 KM away. This is also affecting priority sector damage, the burst damage when you activate the sector doesn't seem to do damage until after the first auto tick does damage.

Anyone else noticing an unusual delay from when planes enter your AA zone to when they actually start taking damage?

Dude, it is impossible to charge 2 ships together... (for some carriers)

Maybe you are asking cause of some captain skills like +10% concealment.

Decrease damage for AA. (carriers do have some skills)