You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MockingBird94

Massachusetts or Alabama?

Massachusetts or Alabama?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Massachusetts or Alabama?

25 comments in this topic

[N2O]
[N2O]
Members
114 posts
4,358 battles

Should I get Massachusetts or Alabama? The other page was deleted so I had to make a new one.

Edited by MockingBird94

Members
1,374 posts

Absolute, no question, clear choice.....why are you even asking?   Get the Jean Bart!!!!!

Even if you were born in Alabama get the Massachusetts and a 19 point Captain set it up for secondaries and never again need to get another Battleship.   Even an idiot like myself who cannot play Battleships (DD Main) has a Kracken Kraken with the Massachusetts.   Just CNTRL and click on ships and watch the 5" 38's just light up the poor defenseless target. 

If I could have only one BB it would be Jean Bart......But if I was allowed TWO BB's !!!   Jean Bart and Massashootist. 

Did you know that there is a Massachusetts B  !!!!!   Yes a special Massachootist and some players put a special Captain on the Special Massachusetts !!!!!!!!!   They feel......SPECIAL!!!

Edited by Toxic_Potato

[TIMT]
Members
1,741 posts
5,623 battles

I mean, what are you looking for? What is your preferred style of play?

I have Massa but not Alabama so I cannot give you a comparison, but I like Massa for the sheer fun factor. She is relatively easy and forgiving, though carrying in her is hard and as bottom tier she is kinda limited in her abilities. But she earns me good credits while being fun.

As a captain trainer for US BBs she is useless, I think, as you need a dedicated captain with many points (14+) for the secondary build to get the most out of her. However, the same captain should work for the Georgia.

So, it is really about what you want it for.

[N2O]
[N2O]
Members
114 posts
4,358 battles
Just now, Toxic_Potato said:

Absolute, no question, clear choice.....why are you even asking?   Get the Jean Bart!!!!!

Even if you were born in Alabama get the Massachusetts and a 19 point Captain set it up for secondaries and never again need to get another Battleship. 

I already have the Jean Bart.

Members
1,374 posts
2 minutes ago, MockingBird94 said:

I already have the Jean Bart.

oh....well .....  ahhhhh.....hmmmm......   The Massachusetts comes with a Spotter I believe.... Sorry I have all of these BB's and rarely play them...But when I do play a BB one good thing is at Tear 8 Massachusetts will face some very weak , thin skinned Cruisers.   Destroyers whose torpedoes have less range then the Secondaries.   If you last the entire game the number of sunk enemy ships is sometimes rather high.     My Alabama has not been played in two years.  Massachusetts maybe 100 times this year. 

• Thanks 1

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
796 posts
7,267 battles

If I'm not driving my MA, someone else is driving theirs.  'Bama is a fine boat, but a secondary-spec MA is just something to behold.  Run manual sec for max effectiveness.  I don't because I'm lazy and I like the lightshow flying everywhere. lol

Members
12,614 posts
14,320 battles
28 minutes ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

Dont have either but when i bump into either its always the Mass kicking my butt..  lol 

Unless you get into 1 vs 1 secondary brawl with a Bismarck in which case the Bismarck will triumph assuming both started out entirely full health. But the Bismarck will be heavily damaged still. Just something to consider as the one of the things a Mass can’t out gun in secondary brawl. But most other ships yes the Mass will out brawl.

[N2O]
[N2O]
Members
114 posts
4,358 battles

People keep saying that the Massachusett's main battery is less accurate than the Alabama's main battery. Despite that, are there reasons why Massachusetts is better?

[TIMT]
Members
1,741 posts
5,623 battles

I always try to play my Massa at around secondary range, that is 12-8km. Closer, and they might get your broadside (which is too weak to brawl like Bismarck or Tirpitz). You have no torps, so why bother going in close. Above 12km her guns just are becoming unreliable (not that they are particularly good anyway) but at mid-range the shotgun effect works a bit in your favor as you just go for center-of-mass, or slightly above waterline. This might not sound optimal, but I missed flat broadside cruisers at 6km when going for waterline shots with 4/6 shells splashing, one going over and the last overpenning the superstruture. So center-of-mass it is for me. Her secondaries are just DOT and fire starters, but their effectiveness really tanks when facing T8+.

If that sounds fun to you, get her.

Edit: Does Alabama also get her ridiculous heals?

Edited by shinytrashcan

Members
4 posts
977 battles

Depends on your playstyle. If you like long range duels Alabama is the way to go. It comes to around 24km range and is more precise for long distance, Masa is at 18.1 and feels more like a shotgun.
On the other hand Masa has probably the strongest secondaries for a t8 bb, even stronger than bismark and tirpitz. So if you like brawl and meltdown dds and light cruisers with your secondaries Masachusetts is far superior.

[-RNG-]
Supertester
3,196 posts
5,913 battles
6 minutes ago, MockingBird94 said:

People keep saying that the Massachusett's main battery is less accurate than the Alabama's main battery. Despite that, are there reasons why Massachusetts is better?

Mass has some decent secondaries on her. They are fun to spec into, but require a captain to use a build you really wont use on any tech tree US BB. 

If you want a good US BB to help train captains and practice your USN Battleships, get Bama. If you want a fun boat to mess around in, Massachusetts is the pick

• Cool 1

Members
4,682 posts
45,595 battles
49 minutes ago, Toxic_Potato said:

Even if you were born in Alabama get the Massachusetts and a 19 point Captain set it up for secondaries and never again need to get another Battleship.   Even an idiot like myself who cannot play Battleships (DD Main) has a Kracken Kraken with the Massachusetts.   Just CNTRL and click on ships and watch the 5" 38's just light up the poor defenseless target. 

If I could have only one BB it would be Jean Bart......But if I was allowed TWO BB's !!!   Jean Bart and Massashootist. 

Did you know that there is a Massachusetts B  !!!!!   Yes a special Massachootist and some players put a special Captain on the Special Massachusetts !!!!!!!!!   They feel......SPECIAL!!!

I detect some anger. 🤔 Puzzling, since I have not seen much odd behavior these days.

Yes OP, Massachusetts is a good choice if you like to play close quarters. Range shooting is ideal with Alabama.

Jean Bart? I guess if you like French BBs. I use a JB, but just not all the time.

To be quite frank, if I was able to stay home longer and not work a lot away from home, then I could go through all my ship inventory.

As for special captains, there are the cosmetic, the special skills ones, and the generic ones.

Whatever captain you choose, it should be based on the configuration of the ship.

The special skills captains are in the armory. Some have baked in skills as additional buffs. Some have to be triggered under set conditions.

The generic captains are those you trained for a while and they are well set for the ship in question.

The cosmetic captains (Ship waifus, husbandos, Ovetchkin, etc) are event captains. Some have buffs and others are purely cosmetic. (Any captain that bears a striking resemblance to Sub Octavian is assigned the Omaha)

The purely cosmetic is probably what you might be referring to Toxic Potato.

But again,😏 cosmetic. They are not even real people. It's not like I talk to my Jingles Capt. Because he only says: "Try not to screw it up "

Even if WG offered real world players as captains, it's not the real person is it?

I think we all would prefer to talk to real people if given the opportunity.

But the game offers whatever captain you might want to use. But it's only for gameplay.

I would not read too much into the quick command team mate chat at start of a game. If a player uses a captain of any type, then it's the one qualified to command the ship or they are being trained on that ship. If it is irritating to hear such a captain from quick commands, then well you could probably turn the volume down. I am aware not everyone is fluent in Japanese. But I am not one to criticize other player's choices of captains.

I get jabbed about the captains I use, but I did open a few containers and you get a 10; point captain. So I use them.

They are game characters. Any resemblance to anyone is coincidence.

I am a BB main myself OP. So look up my ship stats yourself. You will see my qualified opinion.

Good luck.

[O_O]
Members
7,041 posts
17,421 battles

I don't have Alabama, but Massachusetts is arguably one of the best Tier 8 premium battleships (and I still have plenty of love for Tirpitz since her initial release).  Massachusetts' insane secondaries offer a unique play style from the rest of the US line...which is a bonus as well as a curse.  Bonus, because it offers something different....curse because it requires a secondary spec'd commander, which may not fit with the rest of your USN BB line (depending on your preferred play style).

[META_]
Members
1,831 posts
18,967 battles

Questions before answers. Do you have an extra Captain to put specifically in the Massachusetts? If not and you have one main BB captain then Alabama all day.... I have both and love both... Massachusetts needs her own captain.. Bama is plug and play with other BB captains(so great trainer) I'm posting a video in less than an hour just on this subject... It'll be under American battleships. Reasons to pick alabama over massachusetts. 

[WKY04]
Members
4,079 posts
25,835 battles

I think in some Indian language Massachusetts means “He who doe not need to aim”.  

Its charm derives primarily from this. 

[WOLF8]
Members
8,126 posts
6,782 battles
1 hour ago, MockingBird94 said:

I personally found Massy's accuracy to be still very good, even though Bama does have it better, so I think the difference actually isn't that big. That's just me though, lol.

However, on the other hand, the difference in their secondaries is so massive, it really gives Massy a huge edge in that department. While the secondaries are mostly considered situational and niche, when you DO get to use them, it's almost like having a small gunboat DD strapped to your side for some extra firepower, that can literally chew through enemy DD's and many cruisers with right kind of builds. Bama simply does not have this extra benefit, hence why I think Massy is generally considered to be a better ship.

That being said, a caveat here is that Massy does require a dedicated captain build only for her to reach her maximum potential, which may not fit with the rest of the USN BB line.

BTW, I voted for the bacon, since there's no option for both... lel.

Edited by Blorgh2017
  • Cool 1

[TIMT]
Members
1,741 posts
5,623 battles
1 hour ago, Blorgh2017 said:

While the secondaries are mostly considered situational and niche, when you DO get to use them, it's almost like having a small gunboat DD strapped to your side for some extra firepower,

I believe it is more like an Atlanta. 8x2 vs 5x2 per side, so 10x2 in total. Unfortunately, with manual secondaries you give up on the epic feeling that is Massa with all secondaries blazing on both sides; it is worth though.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,046 posts
52,220 battles

I got the Alabama when she was released.  I don't have the Mass.  If I could trade in the Alabama for the Mass, I would.

• Cool 1

Members
925 posts
5,110 battles

Mass is basically a straight up power creep of Alabama. Ever so slightly worse dispersion and some not really useful range in trade for far better secondaries and a much faster heal. 

• Thanks 1

[-BUI-]
Members
2,703 posts
7,030 battles

Mass and spec for secondaries (even though they aren't as good as they used to be when it got real benefit from IFHE), NOT speccing secondaries on any ship capable of 10 KM+ range is a waste of potential IMO.  

The Alabama really brings nothing to the table if you ask me, its basically just a NC with slightly better accuracy (not enough better to really even be noticeable 90% of the time) and better torp protection, thats about it.    

I have an Alabama, I haven't used it in over a year, to me, there is simply no point in using a NC or Alabama at all when Mass exists and does their job just as good or better.

• Thanks 1

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts

I really have to try my Alabama... It isnt possible i like Ignis Purgatio and Ragnarok and not like Alabama.

[GT3]
Members
200 posts
7,813 battles

The bacon is always satistfying in battle and probably cheaper too.

Id go with mass.. What does alabama offer that north carolina doesnt?

Members
4,476 posts
4,779 battles

Big Mamie's guns are slightly worse than Alabama, but not by much. Besides when you're in secondary range the slightly weaker accuracy hardly matters, in my opinion. Mamie takes all the pros Lucky A got over pre-buffed North Carolina and got even more perks while only sacrificing a tiny bit in return. Then NC got that improved heal.  

1 minute ago, Mego_Splat said:

The bacon is always satistfying in battle and probably cheaper too.

Id go with mass.. What does alabama offer that north carolina doesnt?

An improved captain trainer with better economy that follows the same skill path you would use on your US BBs. A BB that turns faster and takes torpedoes better, but is slightly less accurate than NC. Measure 22 camo. The one camo that had to be removed from the line because its camo that actually works. 

• Thanks 1