You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Xcalib3r

How's the Mainz, Ochakov, and Pyotr Bagration?

26 comments in this topic

[UEFN]
Members
1,336 posts
23,072 battles

Ship coupon will be available in a day, thinking about picking up one of these T8 cruisers in Armory, how do you like your Mainz, Ochakov, and Pyotr Bagration so far? which one of the three would you rather have?

[CK5]
Members
1,374 posts
14,348 battles

I have the Mainz and P. Bagration and like the Mainz by a long shot.  The PB has very good AP on broadside or near broadside targets, but the ship has Russian handling and feels very sluggish, which sucks the enjoyment out of the ship.  

Members
817 posts
5,697 battles

Cant go wrong with either Mainz or Bagration but they play totally differently. What do you need a trainer for more? The only one I would steer clear of is Ochakov. 

Mainz does have the benefit of baked in IFHE. 

Edited by General_Lee_Miserable

[FGNE]
Members
960 posts
4,568 battles

Out of those three I only have Mainz, pretty good ship, I spent my coupon on it, but would recommend it even for full price.

I’m used to the handling of KMS and VMF cruisers, and Mainz handles way better, good ROF, backed in IFHE, comfortable ballistics.

Edited by CO_Valle

[WOLF4]
Members
382 posts
17,058 battles

I have the Mainz recently used coupon. I like the Mainz, I find does well open water, turns okay with steering 1, not great. Not the fastest, concealment not the best, and look at post above ROF  IFHE etc. Has the torps for ambushing or pushing 6k hydro. I do not have the other ships.

The arc at long range is kinda high so able to shoot over some of the islands. I prefer open water, but if a Island situation presents itself sure I will use Islands.

Also can get Lutgens and I think after 140 hits get the decrease in loading. Unless it is a really short battle not hard to reach 140 hits

I had posted a thread earlier Bayard vs Mainz I really like French cruisers, but I am very happy with the mainz. Good ship with good set tools.

[ARC]
Members
897 posts
10,476 battles

I have both Mainz and Bagration. Both ships are very good at dealing damage, but I feel both are sluggish (the Bagration more than Mainz). I have enjoyed both so far, so you can't go wrong with either if that's what you want.

Ochakov is a different animal, she feels like a child of Smolensk and Nevsky, crammed at tier 8. She is squisher at lower tiers because the BBs there are less powerful than at tier X (the irony xD), but she is agile and have great concealment. I did not buy her because I have an overpopulation of soviet cruisers in my port xD

• Meh 1

[WOLFA]
Members
290 posts
20,379 battles

Mainz very good, troll armor and dpm. 

Bagrattion good range and guns, bad armor, even bow on, heal.

Ochakov its like an Atlanta.

Edited by Mala_suerte71

Beta Testers
19,013 posts
6,482 battles

Mainz is a very good ship. I hear good things about Bagration. Ochakov is not as good, but has a radar. 

Out of the three I would no doubt prefer Mainz, but her playstyle can be pretty bland. A pretty dedicated farmer, but it's possible to push later in the game, especially thanks to the 40mm bow which works best at close range.

[SIM]
Members
4,934 posts
8,014 battles

Do you frequently play in divisions? If not, do not buy Ochakov. Do you play in divisions but prefer to carry instead of play support? If so, then do not buy Ochakov. The ship's only notable quality is her ability to toss out a brief window of stealth radar, otherwise she feels more like a tier VII ship masquerading as a tier VIII. Mainz is a better choice if you want to do damage yourself, and Bagration seems to be the winner if you want staying power.

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,295 posts
14 hours ago, Xcalib3r said:

Ship coupon will be available in a day, thinking about picking up one of these T8 cruisers in Armory, how do you like your Mainz, Ochakov, and Pyotr Bagration so far? which one of the three would you rather have?

i have all 3 of them. mainz look like ochakov. Fast reload, like Ochakov, something about 5 seconds. Both arr spamming ships. Ochakov must be prptected all the time. Her hull is so much soft. It is a survaillance ship, you should play for your team. I think it is a really fun ship cause i like to spam damage.Ochakov has a radar, very useful.

Mainz is a little more robust. It can survive more. it must be kitting like ochakov. Those 2 must be played to support a BB. i like to always follow one.

Bagration is a little more independent. It has HEALS, so you are able to survive a lot more. i pretty like Bagration. It has a 18.5km range ( ochakov 15.6) so you are able to hit almost everyone.

• Cool 1

[UEFN]
Members
1,336 posts
23,072 battles

having heal is a huge plus especially when MM screw you and put these T8 in T10 match, looks like Mainz would be more versatile, especially nice when she came with 32mm pen baked in, which would save 4pt of captain skill for something else.  It looks like she can pretty much share the same captain skillset with the Agir and Siegfried too!

[-N-]
Members
2,218 posts
14,727 battles

I only have the Mainz and I find it to be very fun.  She is a German Light Cruiser like the Nurmburg.  PE and Hipper have better armor, play smart you are okay.   Yes the German 150s get that nice extra German Pen.  Take the fire flags and Demo Expert and you will start a few fires.  She is actually very good against DDs because of her guns.  But similarly to ships like the Yoshino, you need to play at range for the first 10 minutes of the game so you preserve your health pool for the 2nd half.  AP will Cit Broadside Cruisers in that 8-10km range.

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
1,661 posts
8,800 battles
1 hour ago, Xcalib3r said:

having heal is a huge plus especially when MM screw you and put these T8 in T10 match, looks like Mainz would be more versatile, especially nice when she came with 32mm pen baked in, which would save 4pt of captain skill for something else.  It looks like she can pretty much share the same captain skillset with the Agir and Siegfried too!

Mainz has 38mm of stock pen, iirc. 

[WFR]
Members
12 posts
20,266 battles

I would avoid the Ochakov. I have it and found it to be a waste of time and money or whatever you use to acquire it. Its guns are wimpy, torps are incredibly slow (56 km/h) and take forever to reload, they are also weak, the hull gets hit and the ship is SUPER easy to kill, and there is not much advantage to it over anything else out there. It is substantially UNDERPOWERED for a T-8 ship. I was extremely disappointed with it. I don't use it any  more. The Mainz is way better, although the Mainz suffers from being visible at long range and getting hammered early in the game.  I know nothing about Bagration except that it seems far better in battle than the Ochakov

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,039 posts
10,089 battles

Of the three, I had the most fun in Ochakov, though she's easily the weakest of them.  Mainz is easily the most solid, if being very straight forward.  She's a rockstar in PVE and does well in PVP grace of the punch of her guns.

[-PVE-]
Members
619 posts
18 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Of the three, I had the most fun in Ochakov, though she's easily the weakest of them.  Mainz is easily the most solid, if being very straight forward.  She's a rockstar in PVE and does well in PVP grace of the punch of her guns.

Same experience with the Ochakov—squishy, but solid fun. Even played him in Ranked.

When playing Ochakov, I support destroyers, and his radar is our nasty surprise. 😂

20200701_120417.thumb.jpg.60aa12017bfd51199a66bdd0acd22e9e.jpg20200701_120429.thumb.jpg.d64fcc5364381a95c9942aad7592ecdf.jpg

[-PVE-]
Members
619 posts
On 6/22/2020 at 7:59 PM, Felipe_1982 said:

i have all 3 of them. mainz look like ochakov. Fast reload, like Ochakov, something about 5 seconds. Both arr spamming ships. Ochakov must be prptected all the time. Her hull is so much soft. It is a survaillance ship, you should play for your team. I think it is a really fun ship cause i like to spam damage.Ochakov has a radar, very useful.

Mainz is a little more robust. It can survive more. it must be kitting like ochakov. Those 2 must be played to support a BB. i like to always follow one.

Bagration is a little more independent. It has HEALS, so you are able to survive a lot more. i pretty like Bagration. It has a 18.5km range ( ochakov 15.6) so you are able to hit almost everyone.

Same here. I have the three, but the Ochakov has been the most fun.

I agree with you, Ochakov maybe soft, but he can pull some nasty surprises too. 😂

1287167532_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_06.24-23_43_34_62.thumb.png.57487918fc9138682ce640064febe3c9.png172270027_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_06.24-23_43_27_01.thumb.png.84b9e9b44d7b3a6465f8d6540d811c93.png

[BOTO]
Members
1,262 posts
15,451 battles
On 6/21/2020 at 5:46 PM, Xcalib3r said:

I don't have Ochakov but know enough about it that I'd go Mainz>Bagration>Ochakov.  I give Mainz a slight edge over Bagration basically because it has better DPM.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,039 posts
10,089 battles
1 hour ago, ArmoredFrostX said:

When playing Ochakov, I support destroyers, and his radar is our nasty surprise. 😂

That's how I played her.  Super sneaky, creeping up from island to island and then sprinting into radar range to cut off smokers (be they destroyers or cruisers -- though the latter were dangerous if their guns were pointed my way).

[A-D-F]
Members
374 posts
14,166 battles

P. Bagration is more like a "Supper Molotov" with a heal and no radar, otherwise standard heavy cruiser fair like Atago or "Oigen"

Mainz  is like a "Supper Nuremberg" on a Prinz Eugen hull (with thinner armor) or a "German Cleveland" with torps, bad concealment and no radar or heal

Ochakov is a tier 8 Smolensk with 4 x 2 ( four twin turrets ) 152 mm guns and radar instead of smoke. Basically a "smaller" Chapayev that has 10km radar instead of 12km

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,295 posts
2 hours ago, ArmoredFrostX said:

Same here. I have the three, but the Ochakov has been the most fun.

I agree with you, Ochakov maybe soft, but he can pull some nasty surprises too. 😂

1287167532_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_06.24-23_43_34_62.thumb.png.57487918fc9138682ce640064febe3c9.png172270027_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_06.24-23_43_27_01.thumb.png.84b9e9b44d7b3a6465f8d6540d811c93.png

if ochakov had a greater range or heal would be perfect.