You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Skramjet

Sims a good buy?

13 comments in this topic

Members
733 posts
2,483 battles

Hey everyone!

I haven't played this game in a few years. But my dad really likes it, and I know he has like Fletcher and some other US destroyers that I think he likes playing since he's pretty far up the tree.

Is the USS Sims a good buy? I won't really understand specifics, but is it easy to play for a destroyer and fun? 

Thanks!

[LANCE]
Members
898 posts
6,839 battles

USS Sims is a fun DD. It has a built in XP modifier (you earn more free xp with it) and is effective in Operation Naria. It is also a decent Captain trainer for the US DD line.

The downsides ... you’ll probably see a lot of games against tier 8 and 9 ships. Against them you suffer from not having access to the concealment modification meaning you are easy to spot by tier 8/9 DD’s. Tier 8 CV’s will eat you up! On the plus side against tier 5/6/7 ships it’s a very capable DD.

I personally like the USS Kidd (tier 8) as it’s a Fletcher class DD but only has 1 torp launcher but still has the excellent USN smoke and decent AA ... you will see tier 10 ships though.

Good luck with whatever you decide on mate!

• Cool 1

Members
733 posts
2,483 battles
8 minutes ago, Bravo4zero said:

USS Sims is a fun DD. It has a built in XP modifier (you earn more free xp with it) and is effective in Operation Naria. It is also a decent Captain trainer for the US DD line.

The downsides ... you’ll probably see a lot of games against tier 8 and 9 ships. Against them you suffer from not having access to the concealment modification meaning you are easy to spot by tier 8/9 DD’s. Tier 8 CV’s will eat you up! On the plus side against tier 5/6/7 ships it’s a very capable DD.

I personally like the USS Kidd (tier 8) as it’s a Fletcher class DD but only has 1 torp launcher but still has the excellent USN smoke and decent AA ... you will see tier 10 ships though.

Good luck with whatever you decide on mate!

Thanks for the reply! Tbh I think he likes pretty much any type of ship, so any recommendation in the $20-30 range? He doesn't like when i spend too much on games for him. 

[RLGN]
Members
16,232 posts
28,122 battles
6 minutes ago, Skramjet said:

Thanks for the reply! Tbh I think he likes pretty much any type of ship, so any recommendation in the $20-30 range? He doesn't like when i spend too much on games for him. 

If you mean for him; Kidd is good, as was mentioned, but may be outside that price range.

Hill might be closer. Good torps, but weak AA iirc?

There are a few premium DDs in that price range, but ymmv, because of how someone feels about a particular ship’s AA.

I love Gallant, it it’s even available, but it has terrible AA, as an example.

Members
1,650 posts

I enjoy my Sims, 10.5 km torps, kind of slow but BB do not expect them, and defensive AA that is a must these days, specially if you spec your Cap for AA...fast and very agile...as said above you cant' loose credits with this beauty...

[META_]
Members
1,832 posts
18,967 battles

I do not have the sims and I'm sure in a good players hands it's a winner.... But on wows stats page it is the lowest winrate destroyer at tier 7....I personally have the Kidd and monaghan.... Both are good ships. Both have strong AA which is important now days.... Kidd is $37,monaghan $19.. Just my 2 cents 

Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles
11 minutes ago, SilverPhatShips said:

Sims is my favorite boat,  It has been power crept but still fun

She was a great knife fighter in the early years of the game. Hated seeing one get in close when I was learning DDs...lol.

[CK5]
Members
1,551 posts
16,305 battles

I agree that Monaghan at T6 is worth considering.  I have it and like it very much as it has a torp reload module available that decreases torp reload to 20 seconds (sorry, only for a single reload).  And, the price is right for your requirements. 

[LANCE]
Members
898 posts
6,839 battles
46 minutes ago, Skramjet said:

No problem mate! I forgot about USS Monaghan ... basically a Farragut but you can equip either the same as Farragut or a better AA boat iirc. RNCA Haida is also a really good boat (tier 7) .. not sure if it’s in the price point though. It’s similar to RN Jervis but has much better concealment, creeping smoke (have to be at 1/4 speed), hydro, only 1 torp launcher but also has 1 secondary! I’ve actually set another DD I was knife-fighting on fire with it! :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
733 posts
2,483 battles

Thanks everybody! I think I'll grab him a sims, it's not too expensive but it's high enough tier and seems to fit the playstyle he likes with his destroyers.

Happy fathers day! 

• Cool 1

[STW-D]
[STW-D]
Beta Testers
168 posts
19,031 battles

Sims, is a great DD. if you are good with usa destroyers then the sims will do great for you. especially if you are top tier in a match. but i do fine even if i am bottom tier. it has good guns, torps, speed. great all around ship. Again if you are good with usa destroyers i would highly recommend the sims(7), as well as the kidd(8)

[TOG]
Members
71 posts
8,797 battles

I've really enjoyed mine.  She's fast, and as noted above is the most maneuverable DD in the game (currently).  Play her to contest caps and generally be a nuisance.  You won't get a lot of damage generally, but can really be a factor in a win when played right.  Watch out for Shokakus that know how  to avoid flak.