Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_Zesty_

Ship grounding mechanics

5 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
424 posts
941 battles

I do not know the full mechanics of how ships are grounded when in collision with an island. However, I do understand why sometimes it is nearly impossible to escape once your ship has run aground.

Say your ship of 20,000 tons is about to impact a sea bed.

j7q9et.png

With that weight and momentum, the ship will be lodged into the ground instead of bouncing back like a plastic boat in a pool.

nl7xgh.png

The propellers drive the ship using forward thrust. Most of the ships in this game use mounted propellers so they can only face one direction; to the rear. Since a ships propellers are used to increase the velocity of the ship in a gradual accelerating motion, the ship cannot reach the same velocity as as it did prior to impact, it will not be able to escape without the ground being removed from its position, nor can the propellers face towards the island to push it out of the ground.

10frkwi.png

I are pro at MS paint.

I assume that the ship grounding mechanics of the game are not coded this detailed, but my theory does explain why it is possible to get your ship stuck.

Do keep in mind that the coding may be much more simpler than my theory. The game may just be determining what direction the hitboxes of the ship impacted the hitboxes of the island. Since the island is not assumed to be an even polygon shape, certain hitboxes of the island may capture multiple parts of the ship, creating a conflicting capture points which can, in theory, lock the ship to the island.

I'm only in high school, don't criticize my logic. XD

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,113 posts
500 battles

its mostly true. you would need a tug boat to pull ships out of where they cant maneuver like some docks. 

but hey its just a theory. ..  a GAME THEORY, thanks for reading. (that my friends is a reference from game theory on youtube, its really awesome and you should check it out) :P

Beta Testers
1,708 posts
189 battles

I think you hit the nail on the head with the multiple capture points. Although from my (limited) knowledge of physics, IRL it would be the inertia of the vessel combined with the friction of the ground keeping it in place. Friction could be an element of the WoWS game mechanics–WoT possesses ground resistance features in its game engine. Considering that WoWS runs on a (I assume) better game engine than WoT, something like terrain resistance (I believe shoals are a feature of WoWS, yes?) can be expected.

Island hitboxes is definitely the simplest explanation. Therefore best.

Sign in to follow this