Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Usedcarjock

How do I use Single Launch Torpedoes?

13 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

609
[-TKS-]
Members
1,299 posts
10,748 battles

I’ve watched videos and practiced using single launch torpedoes but for the life of me I cannot get them to work effectively. Now that I’m at Jervis and I own Haida, I really want to know how to most effectively use these things. So any tips?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
162
[DOG]
Members
812 posts
14,307 battles
2 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

I’ve watched videos and practiced using single launch torpedoes but for the life of me I cannot get them to work effectively. Now that I’m at Jervis and I own Haida, I really want to know how to most effectively use these things. So any tips?

The key that is mapped to selecting torps (typically 3 key) when pressed twice will change the mode from wide to narrow. For single launch torp boats it changes from narrow to single.  Then you launch like any other, however, be sure to launch all torps in tube at some point (as the reload wont start until its empty).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
609
[-TKS-]
Members
1,299 posts
10,748 battles
1 minute ago, dashtardly said:

The key that is mapped to selecting torps (typically 3 key) when pressed twice will change the mode from wide to narrow. For single launch torp boats it changes from narrow to single.  Then you launch like any other, however, be sure to launch all torps in tube at some point (as the reload wont start until its empty).

I know this. I guess to clarify is I’m wondering what situations call for single launch torpedos versus spread? I know bow on ships but at what distance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,467
[PVE]
Members
11,076 posts
19,204 battles
32 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

I know this. I guess to clarify is I’m wondering what situations call for single launch torpedos versus spread? I know bow on ships but at what distance?

One at a time, but seriously, use them when you are close and want all of your torps to hit, where a spread would net you 2 hits for example. You can also use a single torp to promote a turn in the direction you want, so as to make the remaining torps count. The problem with single fire torps is that they don't single reload. If you want to reload the rack, you have to fire all torps from that rack or you can get stuck with one torp in a rack when you need a full one.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
432
[MPIRE]
[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles
2 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

One at a time, but seriously, use them when you are close and want all of your torps to hit, where a spread would net you 2 hits for example. You can also use a single torp to promote a turn in the direction you want, so as to make the remaining torps count. The problem with single fire torps is that they don't single reload. If you want to reload the rack, you have to fire all torps from that rack or you can get stuck with one torp in a rack when you need a full one.

Actually you can force the reload, I believe it's the R button but I haven't played the line in a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
301
[Y0L0W]
Members
449 posts
9,761 battles
Just now, Kenjister said:

Actually you can force the reload, I believe it's the R button but I haven't played the line in a while.

yes you can force the reload, but if you forget and leave 1 in the rack, then you kinda screwed yourself ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,467
[PVE]
Members
11,076 posts
19,204 battles
2 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

Actually you can force the reload, I believe it's the R button but I haven't played the line in a while.

You can but it sometimes messes things up and reloads a full rack leaving you with nothing and it's the F key. I didn't mention it because of the unintended side effect sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
12,614 posts
14,320 battles
41 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

I’ve watched videos and practiced using single launch torpedoes but for the life of me I cannot get them to work effectively. Now that I’m at Jervis and I own Haida, I really want to know how to most effectively use these things. So any tips?

Typically you want to run those British ships in wide torpedo spread which will launch  the narrow spread of any other DD. This will be your most used settting. The single fire are for situational use such as denying a ship passage through a narrow place by launching single Torres over and over in a nice long sequence. Or if you need to thread a needle to target a ship you otherwise might not have been able to. Or for doing specialized spreads to confuse the enemy or spreading the torps into smoke, ect.

But as I said you typically want to travel with the wider setting on British ships. Very useful if you have to snap off some torpedoes of you get surprised or something.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
648
[P-V-E]
Members
1,658 posts
1 minute ago, Kenjister said:

Actually you can force the reload, I believe it's the R button but I haven't played the line in a while.

in the key bindings, under under weapon groups > reload torpedo tube.

 

which basically reloads the currant selected torpedo tube set and move your focus to the next subsequent set of torpedo tubes

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
162
[DOG]
Members
812 posts
14,307 battles
37 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

I know this. I guess to clarify is I’m wondering what situations call for single launch torpedos versus spread? I know bow on ships but at what distance?

If you want a non-standard/tight spread you can launch them as you turn while turning the tubes.  Works best against ships that aren't too mobile or if you have noticed their quirks (i.e., they fire and turn you can catch them).  I've seen someone single launch as one after the other on same track but that was against a BB bow on and that looked like it would work as long as the BB didn't make a bigger directional change.

As to what distance - know your ships detection range and launch as close as you can and still remain undetected.  Some people like to suicide torp, but a DD is better off living as long as possible.  If you can't torp them successfully, you can still provide intelligence and the threat you have will force other team's ships to play to that threat.  Worst case is getting too close to a pushing BB with hydro (and not being able to turn to launch torps and not being able to escape their detection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
815
[META_]
Members
1,830 posts
18,967 battles
41 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

I know this. I guess to clarify is I’m wondering what situations call for single launch torpedos versus spread? I know bow on ships but at what distance?

Single torps in my opinion are best when you are more point blank or a stationary can be hit with most if not all of them... I'm hoping to one shot a battleship or cruiser when I'm doing it..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,467
[PVE]
Members
11,076 posts
19,204 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Typically you want to run those British ships in wide torpedo spread which will launch  the narrow spread of any other DD. This will be your most used settting. The single fire are for situational use such as denying a ship passage through a narrow place by launching single Torres over and over in a nice long sequence. Or if you need to thread a needle to target a ship you otherwise might not have been able to. Or for doing specialized spreads to confuse the enemy or spreading the torps into smoke, ect.

But as I said you typically want to travel with the wider setting on British ships. Very useful if you have to snap off some torpedoes of you get surprised or something.

This is true also, at least half of the time I fire a full spread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
12,614 posts
14,320 battles
1 minute ago, Sovereigndawg said:

This is true also, at least half of the time I fire a full spread.

Well it is the normal way to launch torpedoes to be honest thanks to the almost always perfectly spaced torpedo walls it provides. ( Once in a while RNG kicks in and makes the Torp wall all wacky which is why I said almost always.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×