You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
shinytrashcan

Credits more a limiting factor than XP?

35 comments in this topic

[TIMT]
Members
1,708 posts
5,591 battles

Hello,

A thing I noticed over the almost year I have been playing this game now is, that while grinding a new line the rate limiting step is almost exclusively credits and not XP. So my question is, am I the only one or is this a common thing?

I have to admit, it makes some sense to me as earning XP is rather simple and can easily be enhanced (camos, premium time etc.) while it is harder to break even, especially at higher tiers (now it is a lot better with all consumables being free). This pushes people to play mid-tiers a lot more and to buy premium ships (one of the reasons my Massa is the ship with most battles by a huge margin).

However, is there some kind of strategy or the like that I missed to mitigate this issue? It is after all rather frustrating to finally unlock a new T8/9/10 and not have the credits to buy it or to fully kit it out (which easily adds another 4-6M credits).

Thought I'd rather ask before committing to grinding out more millions of credits...

Members
73 posts
106 battles

I too find that credits are the Bottle Neck in my WoWs progress.

That why I got the coal JB to help things out and with flags can reach up to 1/2 mil profit

But surprisingly I find a good game in a T8 premium often earns in the 1/4 mil to 1/2 mil range

Operations used to be good and now are sort of OK

Soon it will be time to stop grinding lines and start grinding credits

Members
859 posts
4,679 battles

I'm a complete F2P player and yes, I found Credits are a massive limiting factor at the higher tiers. At tier 8 for example, you're looking at

• 8.8 million to buy the ship.
  • 2.2 million on a B Hull.
  • 4 million on the 5 modules.

That's 15,400,000 million silver, and that's without including that many ships have engine, range or torpedo mods, which can cost ~1.3 million each. The costs are even higher for Tier 9 and 10 ships. That's going to be upwards of 40 to 50 games to grind that amount of silver, in a tier 9 premium and a good result in most of the games.

This is a post of mine from another thread that I think is a decent guide to how to deal with the economy:

JOIN A CLAN - Even if it's a "WOLF" clan where there's no expectation of actually doing anything with the other members, there are some incredibly good bonuses & discounts available when you're in a clan with even a half-built clan hub.

Silver - The cost of buying ships and higher tier upgrades is a massive 'pain point' when playing as a f2p (or Premium only) account. Once you actually have a ship & it's upgrades, you never need to spend anything on it again. At worst, a Tier 10 ship with no premium account might lose some silver in a mediocre/bad match. Actually buying a ship and it's modules, at the high tier, costs upwards of 24 million silver. That is a gigantic amount of silver to have to grind from scratch. So be very judicious in what you spend and upgrade. Some ships you don't need to buy the range module. Or the torpedo module. Some ships you don't really need the 4th, 5th or 6th slots which are the most expensive modules), especially if you are grinding through them and will sit as port queens after.

Steel - Unless you play clan battles and are a good ranked player you aren't likely to accumulate much of this anyway. Just save it, in case you ever need to convert it to coal to get something from the armoury that might otherwise vanish, or you just want to get stuff quicker. Hopefully WG will add somethings to armoury to make less amounts of steel having things worth buying.

Coal - Save it all. Spend it on a Tier 9 Premium ship first (I have a Georgia). A Tier 9 ship is (barring a handful of exceptions you aren't going to be able to do anyway) the best way for someone to make silver, if they're good with their ship. Depending on how much you keep ships and pay for upgrades, the costs of higher tier ships are extremely high in silver cost, and there's only so much you can do to get silver. Once you have high tier ships, the special upgrades are handy for some ships. If you are set on playing a new line to completion, buying a 35k captain if it's good for that line (eg, a 35k Coal Captain with Expert Marksman for Battleship lines) can be worth getting if you don't have a ship target.

Daily Containers - Always More Resources, for coal. Always. The rest are garbage. Occasionally picking the Try Your Luck for a Supercontainer is fine but don't do it regularly, the chances aren't a huge improvement.

Free XP - Use it on two things: Skipping a T9 grind or Buying a FXP ship. Either way, you're not going to use this for a long time. My preference is to add another high tier Premium FXP to your collection (eg, the T9 Alaska, which because it's a cruiser is a good alternative to a T9 Premium BB), and then start saving it again to skip a T9 ship grind.

Dubs - Between supercontainers and events it is very much possible to save up enough to get a free mid-tier ship. I personally got an Atlanta with Dubs despite being a totally F2P account and used it a hell of a lot in T7 Ranked and Narai scenario for grinding silver. 

Research Bureau - F2P players shouldn't get tempted into regrinding lines, I feel like it's a big waste of time you've already invested into grinding lines in the first place. I bought 10,000 RB worth of a single flag and then sold them all to help pay for a Kremlin. WG are going to continually nerf unique upgrades anyway and you need to do a lot of regrinds to get a free ship, so I wouldn't bother with RB points after spending the first 10k. At worst, save the 10k and maybe if you get a UU that you really want, then consider a regrind.

Captain XP - Save everything until you have enough to push an 18 point Captain to 19 points. Small amounts to get a captain to a new skill or retraining is fine, just don't over do it. The only thing I"d also spend on is getting a Captain to 10 points if I need them for Ranked or an event.  Captain XP is like a snowball rolling down a mountain. It starts slowly, but speeds up at ever greater rates.

Permacamos - Any event or collection that gives you a permacamo is extremely good to consider grinding. Getting a Tier 10 permacamo is the holy grail. I have a Halloween camo on my Des Moines. I also have a bunch of new year & halloween camos on lower tier ships. I also played a lot of Bismarck before I got my T9 premiums because I have a permacamo for it.

Campaigns & Collections - Remember that Campaigns you can repeat missions! Campaigns & Collections often give nice rewards and something to play for. Just keep in mind for collections that not all of them drop components in daily crate drops.

Premium Time: Multiple ways to get decent amounts of free premium time. Take advantage of getting them to grind a lot of cash in Tier 9 Premium ships.

Edited by macktkau2
  • Cool 6
  • Sad 1

[TIMT]
Members
1,708 posts
5,591 battles

Thanks for the collection of advice, really appreciate it!

11 minutes ago, macktkau2 said:

Campaigns & Collections - Remember that Campaigns you can repeat missions! Campaigns & Collections often give nice rewards and something to play for. Just keep in mind for collections that not all of them drop components in daily crate drops.

This! It was such a revelation for me when I realized this. There have also been a few times when I told random players about this and it blew their mind. I think this is one of the most unknown things out there!

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
7,038 posts
17,376 battles

At the end of the year, WG typically offers a year of WoWS premium time for 50% off.  This is a very good deal, as premium time increases your silver and XP earnings for every game you play.  I played without premium time for 2-3 years.  Like you, I had several Tier 9 and 10 ships researched, but no silver to buy them with.  Premium time changed that.  Before long I had all researched ships bought, and am now sitting on 130 million silver.

Having this doesn't hurt, either:

r1mBpV6.jpg

(USS Missouri with Gamescom Black camo, Military Month Contributor flag, and the following signals:  Zulu; India Bravo Terrathree; Wyvern, Scylla, Basilisk, and Leviathan)

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[TRU]
Members
761 posts
22,716 battles
56 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

At the end of the year, WG typically offers a year of WoWS premium time for 50% off.  This is a very good deal, as premium time increases your silver and XP earnings for every game you play.  I played without premium time for 2-3 years.  Like you, I had several Tier 9 and 10 ships researched, but no silver to buy them with.  Premium time changed that.  Before long I had all researched ships bought, and am now sitting on 130 million silver.

This is actually a good deal if you play the game and care enough.  I started as a pure f2p and then got hooked by taking advantage of the premium time sale as well as half price modules and free commander respecs.  

I also never paid attention to daily missions and used to focus on one line so I could get closer to the tier 10.  Some missions are very easy and provide economic and combat bonuses (love that 50% credit camo).  Always expand your horizons and keep things dynamic - not to mention - take note as you already have with ships that can really collect coin. 

My recent problem was my attempt to get to several tier 10s at once.  I then started focusing on gaining credits by doing well in premium ships (when I could) and then buying standard tier 9s and 10s one by one.  The more high tier ships you have, the more lucrative other events such as the snowflake event can be.   

[KAPPA]
Members
3,122 posts
9,241 battles

If you have credit issues, never play T10 tech tree ships without a perma camo, simple as that. Those things suck credits like it's going out of style if you aren't running premium time. If you want to get easy credits, save up for a free T9 premium and play the crap out of it. It's no Mo, but those are some of the best earnings possible. Same can't be said of T10 "premium"s, as they don't really earn more, only cost less to field.

[-A-8-]
Members
571 posts
22,818 battles

While I do find the credit economy in ships is far better than in tanks, the ability to boost xp earning with camo and signals to a larger extent than you can credits does mean I've had times where I have multiple ships unlocked and the credits for only 1 of them.

It's something gaming companies will do though as it promotes people to buy some premium content. Having played both with and without premium time I've noticed how frustratingly slow the credit grind can be without it.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,344 posts
13,777 battles
5 hours ago, shinytrashcan said:

A thing I noticed over the almost year I have been playing this game now is, that while grinding a new line the rate limiting step is almost exclusively credits 

The XP is the limiter of he first 6 tiers, 7-10 the limitation switches to credits. You earn more credits in higher tiers, but you also cost more, as a result you often net less. For example, a T10 win where you ranked lower half of team might net slightly negative even with premium. 

[CRUEL]
Members
547 posts
10,094 battles

Play the fun events to their max, submarine (in a dd or cruiser), race for the filth, space battles etc even ranked and ranked sprint. You will see your credits swell. Grab a free xp ship like friesland and play play play. Build a bank before you quickly go up a ship level and I will sell ships I have no interest in playing again.

[BSL]
Members
1,232 posts
21,643 battles
1 hour ago, desmo_2 said:

r1mBpV6.jpg

(USS Missouri with Gamescom Black camo, Military Month Contributor flag, and the following signals:  Zulu; India Bravo Terrathree; Wyvern, Scylla, Basilisk, and Leviathan)

The technical name for this exact set up is Cha-Ching!

Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles
4 hours ago, shinytrashcan said:

Thanks for the collection of advice, really appreciate it!

This! It was such a revelation for me when I realized this. There have also been a few times when I told random players about this and it blew their mind. I think this is one of the most unknown things out there!

I ran into this when I first started playing the game. The best thing to do is build up a base of credits so you are never near broke when purchasing a new ship and upgrades as well as absorbing losses from bad games.

The best tiers to build credits is T4-T6 because the service costs of those ships are low. Good games can easily net you 250k+ credits before premium time, camos or flags.

Scenarios can also be a place to earn credits even though the rewards were cutback a bit recently. However, the success rate there is sketchier now with lots of bad players not willing/able to play to objectives that earn you stars.

[PVE]
Members
11,071 posts
19,189 battles
7 hours ago, shinytrashcan said:

However, is there some kind of strategy or the like that I missed to mitigate this issue? It is after all rather frustrating to finally unlock a new T8/9/10 and not have the credits to buy it or to fully kit it out (which easily adds another 4-6M credits).

I think WG had it set up so that you had to sell a ship for half the credits you paid for it to advance along with the XP at about the same amount of time put into each, xp and credits that is. People who wanted to keep all of the ships have to grind out lot's of credits. At one time I had 9 tier 9s and a couple of tier 8s waiting for credits to buy them. That is when I started playing Operations with the fine people at the Hoperations discord for the credits to buy these ships. That is when I realized that I had a lot better time playing PVE and quit playing randoms all together. Then WG in it's infinite wisdom, decided to nerf the Operations, which is when I quit spending cash on their game and decided that I really don't need all of the ships in the game.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
659 posts
20 battles

If you grind up the lines and want to play a lot of tech tree ships, then you'll struggle with credits. 

I only ever grind lines I think I'm actually likely to enjoy, and then I'll often skip ships that I know I won't like much. Most of my favourite ships are premiums, so I find I play a lot of T7-9 premiums, and would play premiums more than tech tree ships.  I have a billion credits and will never even have to think about them again.

It all comes down to the way you play the game I guess.

[VORTX]
Members
660 posts
8,329 battles

I spent $20 on credits last month because I couldn't wait to raise the cash for my latest tier 9. Donned on me, premium is $10 a month and I would have easily ground the credits and then some. This month I am experimenting with premium. 

There are many aspects of the game that bother me, and I don’t know if I’ll continue down the premium road, but atm $10 every month or so is not a problem for me for a game I play almost every day and for the most part enjoy. I usually hyper focus on a single game for a year or two before getting bored and finding something else; or not. 

If you want to play (grind) high tiers that’s the game. Either that or a lot of patience that I lack. 

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts

Hello,

A thing I noticed over the almost year I have been playing this game now is, that while grinding a new line the rate limiting step is almost exclusively credits and not XP. So my question is, am I the only one or is this a common thing?

I have to admit, it makes some sense to me as earning XP is rather simple and can easily be enhanced (camos, premium time etc.) while it is harder to break even, especially at higher tiers (now it is a lot better with all consumables being free). This pushes people to play mid-tiers a lot more and to buy premium ships (one of the reasons my Massa is the ship with most battles by a huge margin).

Thought I'd rather ask before committing to grinding out more millions of credits...

i am always playing my premium ships rather than tech line cause of money... i had to grind on alaska to get my shokaku (10kk).

I think premium is good if you have money to spend... in the past i wasnt using premiums and i never had the will to play over 2h a day...

i tought 200 ship spaces and a minimum premium was enough  but it wasnt...

now with premium i play 5h and it is always like i was playing 10 minutes...

With premium account, signs and camos you get more money and also exp. Game become a lotnof fun, without it i was just playing to get those 1st victory with 50% bonus.

I have a lot of ships without their ups cause i cant affort to pay for them on all. 

[KRAK]
Members
3,727 posts
22,437 battles

Hello,

This is how WG sells Premium time by making credits gain small.

Beta Testers
3,304 posts
26,945 battles
7 hours ago, macktkau2 said:

I'm a complete F2P player and yes, I found Credits are a massive limiting factor at the higher tiers. At tier 8 for example, you're looking at

• 8.8 million to buy the ship.
  • 2.2 million on a B Hull.
  • 4 million on the 5 modules.

That's 15,400,000 million silver, and that's without including that many ships have engine, range or torpedo mods, which can cost ~1.3 million each. The costs are even higher for Tier 9 and 10 ships. That's going to be upwards of 40 to 50 games to grind that amount of silver, in a tier 9 premium and a good result in most of the games.

This is a post of mine from another thread that I think is a decent guide to how to deal with the economy:

JOIN A CLAN - Even if it's a "WOLF" clan where there's no expectation of actually doing anything with the other members, there are some incredibly good bonuses & discounts available when you're in a clan with even a half-built clan hub.

Silver - The cost of buying ships and higher tier upgrades is a massive 'pain point' when playing as a f2p (or Premium only) account. Once you actually have a ship & it's upgrades, you never need to spend anything on it again. At worst, a Tier 10 ship with no premium account might lose some silver in a mediocre/bad match. Actually buying a ship and it's modules, at the high tier, costs upwards of 24 million silver. That is a gigantic amount of silver to have to grind from scratch. So be very judicious in what you spend and upgrade. Some ships you don't need to buy the range module. Or the torpedo module. Some ships you don't really need the 4th, 5th or 6th slots which are the most expensive modules), especially if you are grinding through them and will sit as port queens after.

Steel - Unless you play clan battles and are a good ranked player you aren't likely to accumulate much of this anyway. Just save it, in case you ever need to convert it to coal to get something from the armoury that might otherwise vanish, or you just want to get stuff quicker. Hopefully WG will add somethings to armoury to make less amounts of steel having things worth buying.

Coal - Save it all. Spend it on a Tier 9 Premium ship first (I have a Georgia). A Tier 9 ship is (barring a handful of exceptions you aren't going to be able to do anyway) the best way for someone to make silver, if they're good with their ship. Depending on how much you keep ships and pay for upgrades, the costs of higher tier ships are extremely high in silver cost, and there's only so much you can do to get silver. Once you have high tier ships, the special upgrades are handy for some ships. If you are set on playing a new line to completion, buying a 35k captain if it's good for that line (eg, a 35k Coal Captain with Expert Marksman for Battleship lines) can be worth getting if you don't have a ship target.

Daily Containers - Always More Resources, for coal. Always. The rest are garbage. Occasionally picking the Try Your Luck for a Supercontainer is fine but don't do it regularly, the chances aren't a huge improvement.

Free XP - Use it on two things: Skipping a T9 grind or Buying a FXP ship. Either way, you're not going to use this for a long time. My preference is to add another high tier Premium FXP to your collection (eg, the T9 Alaska, which because it's a cruiser ), and then start saving it again to skip a T9 ship grind.

Dubs - Between supercontainers and events it is very much possible to save up enough to get a free mid-tier ship. I personally got an Atlanta with Dubs despite being a totally F2P account and used it a hell of a lot in T7 Ranked and Narai scenario for grinding silver. 

Research Bureau - F2P players shouldn't get tempted into regrinding lines, I feel like it's a big waste of time you've already invested into grinding lines in the first place. I bought 10,000 RB worth of a single flag and then sold them all to help pay for a Kremlin. WG are going to continually nerf unique upgrades anyway and you need to do a lot of regrinds to get a free ship, so I wouldn't bother with RB points after spending the first 10k. At worst, save the 10k and maybe if you get a UU that you really want, then consider a regrind.

Captain XP - Save everything until you have enough to push an 18 point Captain to 19 points. Small amounts to get a captain to a new skill or retraining is fine, just don't over do it. The only thing I"d also spend on is getting a Captain to 10 points if I need them for Ranked or an event.  Captain XP is like a snowball rolling down a mountain. It starts slowly, but speeds up at ever greater rates.

Permacamos - Any event or collection that gives you a permacamo is extremely good to consider grinding. Getting a Tier 10 permacamo is the holy grail. I have a Halloween camo on my Des Moines. I also have a bunch of new year & halloween camos on lower tier ships. I also played a lot of Bismarck before I got my T9 premiums because I have a permacamo for it.

Premium Time: Multiple ways to get decent amounts of free premium time. Take advantage of getting them to grind a lot of cash in Tier 9 Premium ships.

Great advice and write up.......................................................................

• Thanks 2

[SALVO]
Members
8,201 posts
6,084 battles

Hi fellow F2P OP. You have been given solid advice so far, I can share with you just some tips on how I play this game.

At some point you'll need to spam games just to grind credits, thats were premium ships are useful. I bought the cheapest T8 premium ever on a special offer + coupons. Also, you earn some premium ships in events, usually T6 ones they are perfect to play operations and print some cash. Also as you have been told, save your coal for a high tier premium ship.

My free earned dubs are devoted to demount expensive modules, you end up saving a lot of credits that way. I also sell my old ships for credits and port slots (not that slots are an issue anymore).

Finally, my plan for this game is grinding everything up to tier 8, once there I'll evaluate if it is worth going premium or just seek greener pastures. It'll probably be this December when I get to make the choice.

[WPORT]
Members
9,815 posts
14,329 battles
8 hours ago, shinytrashcan said:

Hello,

I've been playing this game for a couple of years and have reached the point where the credits vs. XP equation has flipped around.

In my early WOWs days, credits were in shorter supply than XP needed to research ships. 
That continued until a few weeks ago and I have reached the point where the XP takes longer to accumulate than the credits.
Now that I've reached Tier 7/8/9 in my tech-tree progression, the XP takes longer to accumulate than the credits do. 
I've got over 20 million credits, now.  It used to be that having over 7 million was a big deal, for me.  More than 10 million credits was cause for celebration.  :-)
Now, I look at the XP required to research a ship in the tech-tree and know that I will have enough credits, when the time comes.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/community/accounts/1031789485-Wolfswetpaws/!/pvp/overview/

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
9,815 posts
14,329 battles
4 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

r1mBpV6.jpg

Well done, @desmo_2.  :-)

I agree that Premium account time helps with credits earnings (among other things).  
Since it is a "real money" expense, people's decision process will vary according to their budget.  But it doesn't hurt to know when Premium account time goes on sale.  :-)

[CNO]
Members
6,575 posts
19,762 battles
8 hours ago, shinytrashcan said:

That was my experience many years ago.  As you grind up, credits become the limiting factor.  There is a reason for this.  WOWS is like a drug.  Once you're hooked, you need more credits to sustain advancement.  Part of the issue is the higher you go, the less credits you get in battle...to the point you can actually LOSE credits.  And you need credits to buy modules and what not.  Credit scarcity at this point is BY DESIGN.  It's the business model.

All the above said, once you get into a steady state play condition (like I've been over the past several years), in a manner where credits accumulate on a regular basis...they shrink into obscurity.  I've got over a billion credits at the moment.  Like a real world billionaire, if I need to spend a few million here...or a few million there...oh well...don't even think about it. 

Members
31 posts
7,213 battles
1 hour ago, Fifi_Macaffee said:

I spent $20 on credits last month because I couldn't wait to raise the cash for my latest tier 9. Donned on me, premium is $10 a month and I would have easily ground the credits and then some. This month I am experimenting with premium. 

There are many aspects of the game that bother me, and I don’t know if I’ll continue down the premium road, but atm $10 every month or so is not a problem for me for a game I play almost every day and for the most part enjoy. I usually hyper focus on a single game for a year or two before getting bored and finding something else; or not. 

If you want to play (grind) high tiers that’s the game. Either that or a lot of patience that I lack. 

That's when you realize that the annual 50% off premium sale is a hella bargain. $50 for 365 days of premium.  Yeah, it comes right around Christmas, so for some it may be a stretch, but there's no better deal if you like and want to keep playing the game.

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
44 minutes ago, Tachnechdorus said:

Great advice and write up.......................................................................

i would say.

t8 cv 10.350.000

t10 cv 28.800.00

upgrades? on my shokaku i think i spent at least 3kk.

b hull for indomitqble was 3kk.

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
4 minutes ago, Pliskenator said:

That's when you realize that the annual 50% off premium sale is a hella bargain. $50 for 365 days of premium.  Yeah, it comes right around Christmas, so for some it may be a stretch, but there's no better deal if you like and want to keep playing the game.

noted!!!! 50 dollars for a whole year.