Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Coffin_Driver

Optional Camouflages

9 comments in this topic

[-K-C-]
Members
1 post

It occurred to me recently that maybe WG is missing a money making opportunity that the player base may appreciate. 

Everyone likes one or another or a few of the temporary camouflages in game. I happen to be a fan of the Storm Wind scheme. Why cannot WG offer any or all of these camouflages as a doubloon purchase and it be a permanent camo option?

Before y'all go off the deep end about this camo is better than that, let me explain.  I happen to like the Storm Wind camo so I will use that as an example

All ships above 2 or 3 offer some historical camo for $500 to $3000 doubloons(depending on tier). These all have the base stats of -3% detectability, +4% enemy dispersion, -10% Post Battle repair costs, & +50% xp. Once purchased, these camos are always available to use at no further extra costs. Why not make the camo Storm Wind, for instance, cost me $3000 doubloons to purchase it for my Montana and it be a permanent camo?

Once I purchase, with doubloons the permanent camo of Storm Wind for my Montana, it will only provide the same states as the historical camo, -3% detectability, +4% enemy dispersion, -10% Post Battle repair costs, & +50% xp, not the stats of the current Storm Wind temporary camo.

So for a bit of clarity ...

Stats  for STORM WIND currently bought in Camouflage Packs or in container drops ... -3% detectability, +4% enemy dispersion, +75% XP, +75% Commander XP, +75% Free XP

Stats when purchased as a permanent camouflage($3000 for a Montana)  -3% detectability, +4% enemy dispersion, -10% Post Battle repair costs, & +50% xp

(Storm Wind is my favorite of the bunch. I am only using that one as an example. Enter your favorite as you like the set up is no different.)

This idea leaves the packaged/dropped camouflages unchanged in any way. They are all still beneficial in various ways unique to each. 

Pros....

Players like customization options, they get it

Clans can have one look for the entire fleet, they can choose

Money source for WG (nothing wrong with that)

History geeks (like me) still have their historical camo's

Cons ...

1 person and 1 work week of coding (cost recovered inside the first week of going live)

More taxing on servers with all of the different camo options (Bogus ...  since as I write this, you can have a random battle with 30 different color schemes with 30 different ships at the same time. Some animated i.e. Bionic or Crocosaur camo's available now as just two examples

I am surprised this hasn't been implemented already but I don't know if it hasn't already been suggested.

Tell me it's a bad idea and back it up with something meaningful and not cynical (hard sometimes I know) because I am not finding anything bad about this idea

(If I am the first to come up with this idea and don't get compensated, well ok. That's all the bad I can think of but I will have SO many options I won't care)

• Cool 3

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,150 posts
4,345 battles

I think it's a good idea to sell at least some of the camos also as permacamos. I'd definitely buy a few.

The only issue I see is that some of the disposable camos have way too good bonuses to be perma camos. But that's no reason to scrap the whole idea, either nerf the bonuses on the permanent option or don't sell those particular camos as permanent options. Or you just have the color scheme with the basic permacamo bonuses.

But definitely an idea I'd be happy to see taken further.

[UNHLY]
Members
5,077 posts
14,243 battles

I definitely like the idea, and have suggested it already as have many other players over the years. Sometimes we’ve gotten acknowledgement that it’s been received, sometimes just silence, but so far nothing’s ever come of it. Even if they charge more than the standard tier permacamo cost (like the already do for other cosmetic camos), I’m sure you’d have people buying them. Personally there are some consumable camos I absolutely love the look of, and some ships I really don’t like the visual of the normal permacamo, but if we could buy the pattern of one of the consumables and use that as the permacamo, I’d be willing to buy some. 

24 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

The only issue I see is that some of the disposable camos have way too good bonuses to be perma camos. But that's no reason to scrap the whole idea, either nerf the bonuses on the permanent option or don't sell those particular camos as permanent options. Or you just have the color scheme with the basic permacamo bonuses.

If I’m reading the op correctly (and what has been suggested many times in the past), the economic bonuses will be the same as the normal permacamo for that tier, not the consumable camo. Only the look of the consumable camo is used. For example, I’m not a big fan of the default Monty permacamo, but I really like the look of the subscribers and hunter camos on it; with this suggestion, I’d buy a permacamo for Monty for 5k doubloons, and get the t10 permacamo economic benefits (-50% Service, +20% credits, +100% xp) with the white/gray/black pattern from the hunter camo.

Now whether they make you pick one pattern when you buy it and stick with that, or you’re buying a ‘retexturable’ permacamo would be the question. I’d love it to be a retexturable one so you could switch the pattern later, I’m sure the marketing department would prefer a ‘buy it once for each pattern’ implementation. 

[TNG-2]
Members
208 posts
14,715 battles

Or simply adjust the price point of the perma camo based on the stats it provides.  So if I want a base camo (-10 / +50%) that's the base price in doubloons.  If I want to add to it, say (-20 / +100% / +100% free xp) I'd have to add doubloons to the cost.  You could make it custom... and simply create a cap price point and cap stat point that you can do to the perma camo.

So for the low price of 25,000 doubloons, I get a camo that does (-50% / +50% credits / +100% xp / + 100% free xp / + 100% commander xp) or something like that.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,150 posts
4,345 battles
37 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

If I’m reading the op correctly (and what has been suggested many times in the past), the economic bonuses will be the same as the normal permacamo for that tier, not the consumable camo. Only the look of the consumable camo is used. For example, I’m not a big fan of the default Monty permacamo, but I really like the look of the subscribers and hunter camos on it; with this suggestion, I’d buy a permacamo for Monty for 5k doubloons, and get the t10 permacamo economic benefits (-50% Service, +20% credits, +100% xp) with the white/gray/black pattern from the hunter camo.

Yup, I see that now, I read it again after I posted...always the best way to do it:Smile_smile:

37 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

I’m sure the marketing department would prefer a ‘buy it once for each pattern’ implementation. 

Hmm, customers vs the WG marketing department, wonder who will win that one...

Members
4,700 posts
45,702 battles

Good idea. I like the New Year Streamer camo. And there are others that add quite a unique look. I would pay up to 6k doubloons for the streamer one. It looks great on CVs.

Also, if you add the name of the artist behind the camos, then it would help me in my purchasing decision.

It would really... Really, help in my decision. *Force chokes a Twinkie and feeds Baby Yoda with it.

* Sips tea.....

Well... I am waiting and timing you. *Starts chronometer.

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman

[WMD]
Members
1,929 posts
10,966 battles
4 hours ago, Coffin_Driver said:

Great idea, I've seen it presented a few times over the years here. I'm rather surprised WG hasn't latched onto it yet, perhaps it's being saved as a way to cash in a few dollars if sales drop. 

3 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Well... I am waiting and timing you. *Starts chronometer.

I think you mean chronograph, a chronometer is just a highly accurate clock/watch certified by one of the national organizations like COSC in Switzerland. 

[UNHLY]
Members
5,077 posts
14,243 battles
7 minutes ago, VeatherVitch said:

Great idea, I've seen it presented a few times over the years here. I'm rather surprised WG hasn't latched onto it yet, perhaps it's being saved as a way to cash in a few dollars if sales drop.  

Part of me thinks it won’t come, because then they’d be admitting people will pay money for purely cosmetic items (especially since they’re likely to make them more expensive than the normal permacamos), something they were adamant wasn’t true during NTC-gate. Or in the case of NTC, regrind for purely cosmetic things. Either way, they pushed it down our throats that cosmetics don’t sell, and I’m sure adding non-collaboration cosmetic items will still sell quite well. 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

Members
4,700 posts
45,702 battles
3 hours ago, VeatherVitch said:

I think you mean chronograph, a chronometer is just a highly accurate clock/watch certified by one of the national organizations like COSC in Switzerland. 

Ah, yeah. Correct. I am a little baked. I got caught in the sun Monday, walked 8 miles in 2 hours. I don't recommend it. It was not planned.

Sign in to follow this