Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Scarlet_Eagle

Economics of fighting a battle

12 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

17
[V1-PI]
Members
78 posts
8,972 battles

Let's start by saying that I'm a casual player. Hold the boo's please.

I'm trying to understand the income and expenses of fighting a battle. I play mostly USN DD's. Sometimes I start with the Sampson and work up to the Gearing, sometimes the other way around. I've noticed that there are times, when I play the Gearing, that I finish with a negative income. I don't recall this happening in any other ship. It doesn't matter whether the battle is a win or a loss.

1) What generates revenue?

2) What is included in Services? I've had over -100,000 coin in Services.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
236
[_BDA_]
Members
558 posts
8,887 battles
3 minutes ago, Scarlet_Eagle said:

Let's start by saying that I'm a casual player. Hold the boo's please.

I'm trying to understand the income and expenses of fighting a battle. I play mostly USN DD's. Sometimes I start with the Sampson and work up to the Gearing, sometimes the other way around. I've noticed that there are times, when I play the Gearing, that I finish with a negative income. I don't recall this happening in any other ship. It doesn't matter whether the battle is a win or a loss.

1) What generates revenue?

2) What is included in Services? I've had over -100,000 coin in Services.

This can explain it better than I can.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economy

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Base_Earnings

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,007
[NSC]
Members
2,341 posts
2 minutes ago, Scarlet_Eagle said:

Let's start by saying that I'm a casual player. Hold the boo's please.

I'm trying to understand the income and expenses of fighting a battle. I play mostly USN DD's. Sometimes I start with the Sampson and work up to the Gearing, sometimes the other way around. I've noticed that there are times, when I play the Gearing, that I finish with a negative income. I don't recall this happening in any other ship. It doesn't matter whether the battle is a win or a loss.

1) What generates revenue?

2) What is included in Services? I've had over -100,000 coin in Services.

1. I think tier X ships are not meant to earn credits net. Instead, players are encouraged to purchase premium time or permanent camouflages for their tier X ships to sustain themselves credit-wise when they exclusively play tier X.

2. The service cost includes a base cost paid per battle regardless of how much damage you take (for tier X it's 180,000 credits), additional credits per shell and torpedo fired, and also a cost for planes lost (applicable to CVs only).

Does this cover everything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,514
[WOLF7]
Members
12,613 posts

There's a big difference between calling yourself a "casual player" and racing to tier 10 without bothering to learn the game.

A casual player isn't in a hurry, and doesn't rush to get to top tier, where costs are higher, and ships are generally more lethal.

Just to clarify, WG wants you to spend money to play tier 10. Only a small subset of this community can actually profit at tier 10 without buying a camo.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,230
[SALVO]
Members
8,176 posts
6,059 battles

The higher the tier, the more costly is to take your ship for a spin. 

If you are on standard account, T9-10 are not sustainable unless you do consistently fine and/or run economic buff flags/camo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
131 posts
12,449 battles

Tier X Economy is kinda nasty if you don't have either a Premium Account or a Permanent Camo. Either will work, but both is really good. The Permanent Camo for Tier X ships reduced their repair cost by 50%, putting most under 100,000 Credits, with 90 being the average, I believe. I'll answer your questions one at a time. 
1: Revenue is generated by doing the things your class is meant to do. For DD's, it's caps and spotting, for Battleships, it's damage. Cruisers, I believe, are getting Damage on Destroyers. Each type of ship has its own separate thing they're rewarded for. Doing more of that certain action gets you more credits and EXP. 

2: Services are deducted after a battle. Ever since they made Consumables free across the board, it's just the flat service cost for playing the ship, and your ammo costs. Every ship costs different amounts in Ammo, but you'll be looking at about 100-120k depending on type at Tier X. 

Your example with a Gearing is to be expected, especially if you're a casual, FTP player. Tier X economy isn't meant to be self sustaining. Even Tier 8 isn't. It's supposed to encourage playing Low Tiers to get the credits to play High Tiers, or buy Premium Ships, Premium Account, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17
[V1-PI]
Members
78 posts
8,972 battles
4 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

1. I think tier X ships are not meant to earn credits net. Instead, players are encouraged to purchase premium time or permanent camouflages for their tier X ships to sustain themselves credit-wise when they exclusively play tier X.

2. The service cost includes a base cost paid per battle regardless of how much damage you take (for tier X it's 180,000 credits), additional credits per shell and torpedo fired, and also a cost for planes lost (applicable to CVs only).

Does this cover everything?

Yep.

 

5 minutes ago, awiggin said:

There's a big difference between calling yourself a "casual player" and racing to tier 10 without bothering to learn the game.

A casual player isn't in a hurry, and doesn't rush to get to top tier, where costs are higher, and ships are generally more lethal.

Just to clarify, WG wants you to spend money to play tier 10. Only a small subset of this community can actually profit at tier 10 without buying a camo.

By casual player I mean that I don't play WoW for weeks at a time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles
2 hours ago, Scarlet_Eagle said:

By casual player I mean that I don't play WoW for weeks at a time.

If you are losing 100k in a T10 DD then you are doing a lot of things awfully wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17
[V1-PI]
Members
78 posts
8,972 battles
1 hour ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

If you are losing 100k in a T10 DD then you are doing a lot of things awfully wrong.

Hence the post.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0
[WKY06]
[WKY06]
Members
1 post
22,033 battles

Not sure how you can lose that much in one battle.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,376
[WMD]
Members
1,926 posts
10,911 battles
16 minutes ago, Scarlet_Eagle said:

Hence the post.

As an average player I can offer some basic advice/knowledge.

1) In Gearing you're main strength is torp reload, or range depending on which set of torps you run. Gearing is no longer the gunfighter it was before the IJN and RN gunboats came out. Playing a Gearing as a gunboat is asking to go back to port fast. 

2) Higher tiers have higher service costs, significantly higher costs... I can lose money while running premium time if I have a bad game in a T9 CA/CL(30K damage), DDs aren't much cheaper to run so unless you're running premium time you need to average above 30K damage. 

3) Premium time when on sale costs pennies per day. Even when I was deploying a lot I would buy premium at the Christmas half price sale, just so that I would almost always be able to make money on a bad game. Bad games happen a  lot when you're deployed for 6-9 months so are starting all over again. 

4) Run a premium DD if you have one, the lower service costs and improved credit earning allow you to get better at DDs without losing money. 

 

Edit: Your Sims is the perfect boat to learn USN DD play in, remember to use torps as much as possible, only shooting when ambushed by a DD at close range, or when smoked up and farming damage from BBs and CAs. 

Edited by VeatherVitch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles
13 hours ago, Scarlet_Eagle said:

Hence the post.

Unfortunately the wiki doesn't explain how each ship class earns credits because WG won't reveal that information.

Credits for a DD are generated by damage (main batteries, torps, fire, flooding), getting/defending caps, and some other ribbons you earn during battle.

The best way to earn credits is to win matches. Certain flags and camo will also increase your credit earnings. Premium time is also a good booster but that costs real dollars.

I think you ran up that tech tree as fast as you could without much regard to learning what DDs do and mastering those skills. So you are at a big disadvantage playing a tier where mistakes are punished quickly and harshly. Unfortunately, the T4-6 DDs do not play the same as the T8-10 DDs as they rely more on their guns.

I'd go back down though and focus on:

  • Understanding concealment and when to go dark to avoid getting killed
  • Capping and defending
  • How to use your smoke as a offensive and defensive tool.
  • Dealing damage
  • How to aim torpedoes (it's not as simple as the cone that pops up)
  • Staying alive

The first and last points go hand in hand because a DD alive towards the latter stages of a game can be the biggest game changer since they are the hardest to spot. And the bigger a factor you are in each match the more credits you will earn.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×