You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
black_hull4

I didn't even know you could do this...

16 comments in this topic

Members
1,405 posts
1,852 battles

So I was sailing the USS Erie with Hotel Yankee & Papa Papa. Standard battle on the Islands map, with Tier 1 ships only. I was trying to get a ram kill. I did...I rammed enemy ships 3 times. And survived. Should've been flying Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

I got a kill on a Gryf first, then went ahead to ram a Chengan. Killed him, then I thought, why not, I'll do it again. I went for an Orlan, somehow we both survived the ram. So I came around again and finished him off! This left me on 704 hp...right next to a half-health enemy Gryf. Plot twist! His guns were all pointed in the opposite direction and I killed him before he could get them to point at me! Feeling a bit vulnerable I went for the cap, since everyone on the team south had died. Believe it or not, I was able to snipe an enemy Hashidate too! The game finished with me and some others capping.

So there you have it: 5 kills, 3 rams, a cap assist & survived the battle. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

[NSC]
Members
2,341 posts
3 hours ago, black_hull4 said:

So I was sailing the USS Erie with Hotel Yankee & Papa Papa. Standard battle on the Islands map, with Tier 1 ships only. I was trying to get a ram kill. I did...I rammed enemy ships 3 times. And survived. Should've been flying Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

I got a kill on a Gryf first, then went ahead to ram a Chengan. Killed him, then I thought, why not, I'll do it again. I went for an Orlan, somehow we both survived the ram. So I came around again and finished him off! This left me on 704 hp...right next to a half-health enemy Gryf. Plot twist! His guns were all pointed in the opposite direction and I killed him before he could get them to point at me! Feeling a bit vulnerable I went for the cap, since everyone on the team south had died. Believe it or not, I was able to snipe an enemy Hashidate too! The game finished with me and some others capping.

So there you have it: 5 kills, 3 rams, a cap assist & survived the battle. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Do you have a screenshot/replay? That's an awesome game! Congrats! I do think the ramming mechanic doesn't make sense to me sometimes.

• Thanks 1

Members
1,405 posts
1,852 battles
19 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Good lord, Jingles would love a replay like that I feel.

I'd love to, but I can find my Screenshots for both WoWp & WoWs, my WoWp replays, but I can't find my WoWs replays! :etc_swear:

It probably won't matter now, this was prior to Patch 0.9.5 so that replay will have been purged by now.

If anybody knows how to troubleshoot this, do tell.

Edited by black_hull4
typo

[CVA16]
Members
6,430 posts
19,969 battles

Are ramming damages reduced at T1? Even with the flag, three ships worth of damage should have been too much. And, unless Orlan had the flag too, how would it survive a flagged Erie hit?

[KAPPA]
Members
3,122 posts
9,226 battles
4 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Are ramming damages reduced at T1? Even with the flag, three ships worth of damage should have been too much. And, unless Orlan had the flag too, how would it survive a flagged Erie hit?

Ramming gets weird when one or both ships aren't going max speed. I've poked a JB's stern while it tried to flee and barely took a hit, for example.

• Cool 1

Members
1,405 posts
1,852 battles
1 hour ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Ramming gets weird when one or both ships aren't going max speed.

Yeah the Orlan tried to slow down on the first attempt so that might be why he survived for one more minute. When I rammed him it was like we were taking chunks out of each others' healthbars.

• Cool 1

Members
1,405 posts
1,852 battles
5 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Are ramming damages reduced at T1? Even with the flag, three ships worth of damage should have been too much.

No, it isn't. Based on previous experience(I regularly fly that flag combo on the USS Erie)ramming works the same with some odd exceptions. I'm planning to do another post on that someday.

But it wasn't 3 ships worth of damage, remember the Orlan survived my second ram & my third ram was what killed him.

[CVA16]
Members
6,430 posts
19,969 battles
12 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Ramming gets weird when one or both ships aren't going max speed. I've poked a JB's stern while it tried to flee and barely took a hit, for example.

Not what I have noticed at higher tiers where the opposing ships seem to have a matter/antimatter relationship. Slightest touch does full damage. You do you full HP to him and he does full HP to you. Ramming flag makes you do more, take less, but it still just takes a light touch.I think ramming friendlies is the same except the damage is lower and based on time of contact also. If you just graze the ship, its only a little damage. If you can't break free, it keeps adding up.

Now I'm curious and will have to check it out.

[CVA16]
Members
6,430 posts
19,969 battles

Found this under wiki. So if your speed is 5kts or below it results in lowered damage (kinda vague).  Angle of collision is NOT a factor so a glancing sideswipe is as good as T-bone. Also not sure if it  is calculated once per impact or if prolonged contact (assuming both ships survive a low speed impact) results in continued damage. In the OPs case, a slow speed push from behind. For green on green collisions, it is DOT. Guess I never noticed this. Especially since it is binary instead of a sliding scale. How often to you get rams with less than 5kts closing speed?

Speed

Speed is the factor which determines the level of damage inflicted to another ship. To ensure the maximum amount of damage is caused to an enemy ship, collisions must be achieved at the highest speed possible. High-speed collisions immediately inflict a high level of damage to both involved ships. These types of collisions typically result in the destruction of one or both of the involved ships. In contrast, Low-speed collisions do not inflict a high level of damage. Instead, a lowered amount of damage is inflicted to both ships during the time they contact each other. The amount of damage is dependent on the speed of impact. This type of collision is not common because it only occurs when the combined collision speed is very low, between 0 and 5 knots.

Edited by Sabot_100
  • Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,122 posts
9,226 battles
15 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Not what I have noticed at higher tiers where the opposing ships seem to have a matter/antimatter relationship. Slightest touch does full damage. You do you full HP to him and he does full HP to you. Ramming flag makes you do more, take less, but it still just takes a light touch.I think ramming friendlies is the same except the damage is lower and based on time of contact also. If you just graze the ship, its only a little damage. If you can't break free, it keeps adding up.

Now I'm curious and will have to check it out.

And then you also have times when things are just plain borked. Back during the Mad Max style event I can't even remember the number of times I rammed enemies for multiple seconds straight!

15 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Found this under wiki. So if your speed is 5kts or below it results in lowered damage (kinda vague).  Angle of collision is NOT a factor so a glancing sideswipe is as good as T-bone. Also not sure if it  is calculated once per impact or if prolonged contact (assuming both ships survive a low speed impact) results in continued damage. In the OPs case, a slow speed push from behind. For green on green collisions, it is DOT. Guess I never noticed this. Especially since it is binary instead of a sliding scale. How often to you get rams with less than 5kts closing speed?

Speed

Speed is the factor which determines the level of damage inflicted to another ship. To ensure the maximum amount of damage is caused to an enemy ship, collisions must be achieved at the highest speed possible. High-speed collisions immediately inflict a high level of damage to both involved ships. These types of collisions typically result in the destruction of one or both of the involved ships. In contrast, Low-speed collisions do not inflict a high level of damage. Instead, a lowered amount of damage is inflicted to both ships during the time they contact each other. The amount of damage is dependent on the speed of impact. This type of collision is not common because it only occurs when the combined collision speed is very low, between 0 and 5 knots.

Can confirm it is a prolonged damage in my experience. I've seen 2, 3, and even many, many more ticks of damage. It's probably around 1-2 ticks per second. One time I even got rammed into an island, resulting in dodging torps by diving. Was hilarious!

Man was that a silly mode at times.

• Funny 1

[CVA16]
Members
6,430 posts
19,969 battles
8 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Can confirm it is a prolonged damage in my experience. I've seen 2, 3, and even many, many more ticks of damage. It's probably around 1-2 ticks per second. One time I even got rammed into an island, resulting in dodging torps by diving. Was hilarious!

What is the damage for a low speed collision? Is it comparable to a green on green hit.

For green on green I have actually had a ship stuck to me. I got rammed on the stern quarter and somehow it embedded into my hull (between modules?) such that as the angles changed from near 90 degrees to more oblique, it would not separate. I ended up dragging that ship (which I assume was trying to reverse out) for quite a while. Ticking damage the whole time.

Members
1,405 posts
1,852 battles
8 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

I got rammed on the stern quarter and somehow it embedded into my hull (between modules?)

I was playing the Hosho & an unaware BB got stuck on my signal vane for some time. Physics in this game don't allow pieces of the ship to break off.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,122 posts
9,226 battles
14 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

What is the damage for a low speed collision? Is it comparable to a green on green hit.

For green on green I have actually had a ship stuck to me. I got rammed on the stern quarter and somehow it embedded into my hull (between modules?) such that as the angles changed from near 90 degrees to more oblique, it would not separate. I ended up dragging that ship (which I assume was trying to reverse out) for quite a while. Ticking damage the whole time.

Sorry, I wasn't referring to the low speed part, actually. I don't think I've even had a ram like that, honestly. I just meant that I've had oddly lengthy rams in general, and they do indeed do ticks of damage rather than be a one and done kinda thing.

Members
1,405 posts
1,852 battles
On 6/20/2020 at 3:06 PM, Sabot_100 said:

And, unless Orlan had the flag too, how would it survive a flagged Erie hit?

But if the Orlan had the flag too, how did I survive that?

:fish_book:

Members
1,405 posts
1,852 battles
On 6/20/2020 at 8:51 PM, black_hull4 said:

I'm planning to do another post on that someday.

OK, now that post has been made: