Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ArIskandir

Being Undertiered

8 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
8,201 posts
6,084 battles

I keep reading threads complaining about the MM spread, how unfair is to be undertiered, how unenjoyable it is, etc.

Being undertiered is one of the best aspects of the game if you like to be challenged, everyone can do nice when they have all the good cards, what about when you have a poor hand?, what's the best you can do with the cards you are dealt?. In the end, the game is as much about competing against others as it is about competing against yourself, even if you get to fail in the end, or after your best efforts the game is lost, if you played your cards as best as you could that was a game worth of be played. I've a lot of fun while being undertiered, I'm now grinding T6 (I grind all my lines simultaneously) and get a lot of T8 matches, I want to share with you guys a couple of the matches I played today, mostly to showcase how being undertiered is far from being the end of the world.

First example, playing La Galissoniere. T8 match with heavy BB presence, numerous DDs. I set my mission for the match to ambush the red DDs and give my team the advantage by removing them. I end topping the chart in a victory for my team. 

Second example, playing Izmail. T8 match, basically play fire support and end trading my ship for the red top BB. I end 3rd or something in a points defeat (one of our top tier BBs was AFK). I liked this match very much to showcase the fun aspect of being undertiered, because there was other player in a Leander that was less than happy to be undertiered, but I think he had a change of heart by match end. 

Also, if any of you takes the time to watch the replays, I'm more than happy to get your input and feedback on how to improve.

Cheers and have fun being undertiered!

Edited by ArIskandir
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,122 posts
9,241 battles

Me, my favorite games in CV involve being a bottom tier in my Enterprise or Ryuujou. Similar can be said of BBs and cruisers, and for similar reason: people underestimate you. 10 CV? So much clumping! T8 in a T10 match? Not nearly as much. Nobody expects the bottom tier player to rock their world.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,771 posts
21,670 battles

Some ships do better undertiered than others, but I agree with most of what you said. Thing is, many people don't like to be forced to think. They have their pre-conceived ideas about where to go on a map and how to play their ship, but that changes with being top or bottom tier and driving a different type of ship with different strengths and weaknesses. Many people will try to drive a bottom tier cruiser the same way that they drive a top tier battleship and whine about not getting support failing to realize that, this match, they were the support.

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,122 posts
9,241 battles
7 minutes ago, Lert said:

Some ships do better undertiered than others, but I agree with most of what you said. Thing is, many people don't like to be forced to think. They have their pre-conceived ideas about where to go on a map and how to play their ship, but that changes with being top or bottom tier and driving a different type of ship with different strengths and weaknesses. Many people will try to drive a bottom tier cruiser the same way that they drive a top tier battleship and whine about not getting support failing to realize that, this match, they were the support.

Imagining that made my spine ache.

Thank you for that.

[WPORT]
Members
9,815 posts
14,329 battles
7 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

I keep reading threads complaining about the MM spread, how unfair is to be undertiered, how unenjoyable it is, etc.

Being undertiered is one of the best aspects of the game if you like to be challenged, everyone can do nice when they have all the good cards, what about when you have a poor hand?, what's the best you can do with the cards you are dealt?. In the end, the game is as much about competing against others as it is about competing against yourself, even if you get to fail in the end, or after your best efforts the game is lost, if you played your cards as best as you could that was a game worth of be played. I've a lot of fun while being undertiered, I'm now grinding T6 (I grind all my lines simultaneously) and get a lot of T8 matches, I want to share with you guys a couple of the matches I played today, mostly to showcase how being undertiered is far from being the end of the world.

First example, playing La Galissoniere. T8 match with heavy BB presence, numerous DDs. I set my mission for the match to ambush the red DDs and give my team the advantage by removing them. I end topping the chart in a victory for my team. 

Second example, playing Izmail. T8 match, basically play fire support and end trading my ship for the red top BB. I end 3rd or something in a points defeat (one of our top tier BBs was AFK). I liked this match very much to showcase the fun aspect of being undertiered, because there was other player in a Leander that was less than happy to be undertiered, but I think he had a change of heart by match end. 

Also, if any of you takes the time to watch the replays, I'm more than happy to get your input and feedback on how to improve.

Cheers and have fun being undertiered!

:cap_like:

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Modder
760 posts
4,130 battles

I find that being undertiered, f.ex. a tier 6 in a tier 8 game more often than not people will not perceive you as a big threat and go after other, higher tier, ships first (at their own peril). So more or less being left alone and playing it well, one can often enough end up on top of the result-screen, actually.  I kinda like it, though I also like playing underdog ships to boot.

[XXX]
Members
663 posts
1,658 battles
3 minutes ago, Krautjaeger said:

I find that being undertiered, f.ex. a tier 6 in a tier 8 game more often than not people will not perceive you as a big threat and go after other, higher tier, ships first (at their own peril). So more or less being left alone and playing it well, one can often enough end up on top of the result-screen, actually.  I kinda like it, though I also like playing underdog ships to boot.

Funniest thing I ever saw was a Vanguard intentionally giving broadside to a Fuso at near point blank range just to bring their guns on to the target...I mean sure they're only 356mm guns but there's twelve of them...Fuso proceeded to just blast the Vanguard out of existence in one salvo.

• Cool 1

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Modder
760 posts
4,130 battles
1 minute ago, Yandere_Roon said:

Funniest thing I ever saw was a Vanguard intentionally giving broadside to a Fuso at near point blank range just to bring their guns on to the target...I mean sure they're only 356mm guns but there's twelve of them...Fuso proceeded to just blast the Vanguard out of existence in one salvo.

Yeah, seen things like that and done similar things. That's one of the times when people, not understanding how their higher tier ships could get sunk so fast by a lower tier, cry 'haxxx!' :Smile_honoring:

Sign in to follow this