You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

who is buying these ships

61 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
5,310 posts
13,743 battles

My personal view, which is very subjective, places the Warhammer ships into the pre-teen category by appearance but the cost is way too high for that age group. So I'm asking the question "who is buying these ships?"

The targeted market could very well be another server.

Before I say more I want to state yes, I do realize some on the NA server will fork over the $$$$ for these ships. It is their money so they can spend it as they wish.

Other than those wanting every ship available I wondering who would want these ship?

• Boring 1
  • Meh 2

Members
4,129 posts
14,795 battles
1 minute ago, kgh52 said:

My personal view, which is very subjective, places the Warhammer ships into the pre-teen category by appearance but the cost is way too high for that age group. So I'm asking the question "who is buying these ships?"

Before I say more I want to state yes, I do realize some on the NA server will fork over the $$$$ for these ships. It is their money so they can spend it as they wish.

Other than those wanting every ship available I wondering who would want these ship?

Warhammer has never been a "kid" hobby. Those things/game are expensive. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,850 posts
25,977 battles

WH40k has been around for decades and it isn't just for kids.  It's actually a pretty expensive table top miniatures hobby.

This "Starter Set" is $80 USD.

It's always been expensive even when my dad got me stuff for this when I was in Junior High School, back in the Rogue Trader / 1st edition days of the game.  I'd say the hobby has gotten even more expensive as the years had gone on.

Cadian Defense Force, $185 USD

Between the cost of miniatures, vehicles, modeling supplies (cement, paint, tools, etc), efforts to get good table top terrain, etc, this was never a cheap hobby.  Games Workshop also regularly makes new edition rulesets every few years.  So throw out those fancy rule books you had to stay current.

I used to collect and play the WH40k table top game in late 80s thru the mid 1990s.  But it gets expensive if you're not careful.  I stopped playing, collecting decades ago but I still love the setting and the "fluff" of WH40k.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,926 battles

Look up little white mouse, she just had a review of these ships.... My point is that in the review she points out personal experience as a little girl liking this type of  stuff along with her brother... So there are buyers... Not raging but so many are quick to actually complain or belittle others about buying ships... I buy whatever I want.... I'm fortunate enough to be able to do that.... I don't judge anyone's choices, it's their money. 

• Cool 6

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,868 posts
9,158 battles

As stated above, not sure why you are qualifying these ships as "pre-teen". I got into Warhammer 40k during the second edition (they are about to release the ninth edition, IIRC) sometime around 1996-7 and it was very expensive even then and if I wasn't working, there was no way i could have afforded it. Moreover, the rule book alone has always been rather massive, with each faction having a book (codex) full of rules as well. It's not quite like the rules for Monopoly or Life. Toss in the lore that is the epitome of "grim dark" and yeah, I don't see the pre-teen angle. In all my time playing, i don't think I ever ran into any pre-teens in the local gaming stores or tournaments (GTs included) who played, but I did meet a few who had interest in the models. 

I didn't buy either of the ships because I don't think either is "40K" enough and I hated the Amagi anyway, but I appreciate the crossover all the same and bought the presale pack and 5 containers for the camo. 

• Cool 1

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
817 posts
10,856 battles

When I saw the EU Wargaming stream a couple weeks ago and saw Cristianos and Mr. Conway play, I had to have that pre-event container package because the ships and commanders seemed pretty cool and I wanted a chance at them, no matter that the chance was minute.  Having only gotten the camos, I am content with that and with the price point at which these ships have been introduced, I am not one of those buying.  Too pricey for me!  :Smile_veryhappy:. My threshold is $30 USD or less generally speaking, so I'm not generally in the market for a tier 8.  The California release may test me there price point wise because I'd really like to have that 7 battle star ship. 

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
56 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

Look up little white mouse, she just had a review of these ships.... My point is that in the review she points out personal experience as a little girl liking this type of  stuff along with her brother... So there are buyers... Not raging but so many are quick to actually complain or belittle others about buying ships... I buy whatever I want.... I'm fortunate enough to be able to do that.... I don't judge anyone's choices, it's their money. 

i loved her story. Was an amazing text. Would like to hear more about @LittleWhiteMouse story.

Now ppl are asking to invite her to NA stream!!!

Regarding wh40k, i have ultramarines army, blood angels, tyranids and chaos. It is really expensive!

I was aware there are better ships than Ignis and Ragnarok but i bought it anyway as i like to buy all kind of digital content for wh40k games and partnership.

I have made about 5 matchs with each and i enjoyed. They are cool.

About buyers... if ppl does not buy, how the company will maintain their workers/staff?

They have to release new content and eceryone should be happy if thenxonpany sells a good amount of that stuff. WG in particular does not release p2w ships. On all reviews i have seen there isnt a "best ship" on premium. Socit is cool to have new content 1-1 month.

• Cool 2

[D-DAY]
Members
6,973 posts

I have enjoyed the game for many years: Space Hulk, 40k, Epic (as it was), Necromunda, the books, the lore, the computer games etc etc).

After a while of not buying anything from WG, I can see myself buying the Imperium ship.

I have no IJN BBs except the ARP Kongos. I enjoy the unique captain voice over and ship design. Better still I am happy the ship seems no more expensive than other Tier VIII Premiums.

For the above I'm prepared to overlook the 3 second additional reload time.

Had the the ships not both been Amagi's, I may have bought both - I think WG missed a trick in not talking to someone who knew more about 40k and picked different and more suited ships to the factions they represent. :Smile_honoring:

(It also helps that it's Father's Day in a couple of days! :Smile_teethhappy:)

Edited by _WaveRider_

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,926 battles
2 minutes ago, Felipe_1982 said:

i loved her story. Was an amazing text. Would like to hear more about @LittleWhiteMouse story.

Now ppl are asking to invite her to NA stream!!!

Regarding wh40k, i have ultramarines army, blood angels, tyranids and chaos. It is really expensive!

I was aware there are better ships than Ignis and Ragnarok but i bought it anyway as i like to buy all kind of digital content for wh40k games and partnership.

I have made about 5 matchs with each and i enjoyed. They are cool.

About buyers... if ppl does not buy, how the company will maintain their workers/staff?

They have to release new content and eceryone should be happy if thenxonpany sells a good amount of that stuff. WG in particular does not release p2w ships. On all reviews i have seen there isnt a "best ship" on premium. Socit is cool to have new content 1-1 month.

I might just buy one to be the odd ball... My top ships are w. Virginia, graf spee, graf zeppelin, prinz eugen to play as not often seen ships.... All are considered bad or OK.... None of these are lower than 54%😉

[SYN]
Members
5,879 posts
13,316 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

Warhammer is very much an adult activity and is a very big deal among aficionados.

I don't know anything about it but used to work with someone who set up tables and painted the pieces, characters, etc.  I was impressed by the devotion put into it.  They actually get into character when they play.

It's serious business.

2,809 posts
1,478 battles

I got both because I’m a big fan of 40k. The imperial of man BB is fine due to the large amount of voice over the captain saids out loud. The World Easter ship on the other hand look like a rip off because the chaos space marine captain say almost nothing or speaks very softly.

[UCF]
[UCF]
Members
62 posts
11,787 battles

Warhammer is too expensive for teens to get into and it has been around for over 25 years so a lot of it's fanbase is a bit older.  Add in the fact that the over the top design and story are something people enjoy about it.  Something about a 5km ship with massive manually cranked turrets manned by whole families over generations is so over the top and that it is both funny and interesting.  But to each their own, I will probably get one of them as I like this game and 40k. 

Edited by knightmagi
typoes

[WPORT]
Members
9,793 posts
14,326 battles
2 hours ago, kgh52 said:

I'm not intending to add them to my port.  But that is merely because they're not my "cup of tea".

I don't begrudge anyone from getting one or more Warhammer marketing event ships.  That's their prerogative.

Someone buying a ship does not prevent me from enjoying my own ships.  And me sailing my own ships doesn't prevent others from enjoying their own ships.  :-)

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,696 posts
10,837 battles
2 hours ago, kgh52 said:

My personal view, which is very subjective, places the Warhammer ships into the pre-teen category by appearance

We had Karens come into the hobby store I worked at who wanted to buy their precious angel these "Warhammers".  They always resorted to the "my baby is gifted" when I told them they were patently unsuited to anyone beneath the age of twelve and many of the models and themes in the game were aimed at adults.  Thankfully, we always kept a few open kits to show parents what was entailed.  Some backpedaled fast when they saw they didn't come built or painted.  Others still needed to be shown some of the mature themes present in the text and miniatures.

Warhammer 40,000 takes inspiration from various sources but some of the most telling are things like Judge Dredd (not for kids), Heavy Metal magazine (not for kids), Dune (not for kids), etc.  It was very much inspired by the dark, gritty sci-fi stuff that came out in the late 70s and early 80s. 

• Cool 5

[DIEBL]
Members
662 posts
8,727 battles
1 hour ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Had the the ships not both been Amagi's

I have a feeling we’ll be seeing these exact words over and over again.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
9,793 posts
14,326 battles
19 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

We had Karens come into the hobby store I worked at who wanted to buy their precious angel these "Warhammers".  They always resorted to the "my baby is gifted" when I told them they were patently unsuited to anyone beneath the age of twelve and many of the models and themes in the game were aimed at adults.  Thankfully, we always kept a few open kits to show parents what was entailed.  Some backpedaled fast when they saw they didn't come built or painted.  Others still needed to be shown some of the mature themes present in the text and miniatures.

Warhammer 40,000 takes inspiration from various sources but some of the most telling are things like Judge Dredd (not for kids), Heavy Metal magazine (not for kids), Dune (not for kids), etc.  It was very much inspired by the dark, gritty sci-fi stuff that came out in the late 70s and early 80s. 

I have the vinyl album of the Heavy Metal movie sound-track.  :-D

Thanks for sharing your perspective on the issue, @LittleWhiteMouse:-)

[LWA]
Members
1,344 posts
15,553 battles
2 hours ago, kgh52 said:

With the previous collaborations a lot of the content was available for free via missions.

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
1 hour ago, Meta_Man said:

I might just buy one to be the odd ball... My top ships are w. Virginia, graf spee, graf zeppelin, prinz eugen to play as not often seen ships.... All are considered bad or OK.... None of these are lower than 54%😉

A ship stats does not make a captain the best player in the world. you must take 100% of the ship and know all her resourses and weakeness like you say on your video.

So a bad rated ship can be the proud of your port. i think i am doing extremely well with a lvl 3 captain , no upgrades cause i must farm money and no experience on BBs.

1 hour ago, Kuckoo said:

Warhammer is very much an adult activity and is a very big deal among aficionados.

I don't know anything about it but used to work with someone who set up tables and painted the pieces, characters, etc.  I was impressed by the devotion put into it.  They actually get into character when they play.

It's serious business.

it takes up to 3h to pain a single model...

You have to spend a lot of time. Books are incredible, full of lore.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,122 posts
9,226 battles
9 minutes ago, db4100 said:

With the previous collaborations a lot of the content was available for free via missions.

Games Workshop has prices that'd make WG drool. I'd be shocked if much of the crossover is free.

• Funny 1

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
11 minutes ago, db4100 said:

i missed all of them.

[SOV]
1,868 posts
9,158 battles
8 minutes ago, Felipe_1982 said:

A ship stats does not make a captain the best player in the world. you must take 100% of the ship and know all her resourses and weakeness like you say on your video.

So a bad rated ship can be the proud of your port. i think i am doing extremely well with a lvl 3 captain , no upgrades cause i must farm money and no experience on BBs.

it takes up to 3h to pain a single model...

You have to spend a lot of time. Books are incredible, full of lore.

I spent about a year painting 40K (and Fantasy) models on a commission basis for a living. I'll remember those times fondly, but years later when I tried to get back into 40K, I just couldn't bring myself to paint anything. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,850 posts
25,977 battles

This isn't a cheap, low effort hobby.  It's pretty hardcore in Money for the Money Gods, model / figure building and painting, etc.  The last time I played the table top game was maybe 1992.  But I still got some miniatures, vehicles until about 1996.  As LWM said, this stuff comes unassembled, unpainted.

ApokalypseIII-022.jpg&f=1&nofb=14db04a81945350df127fd154207203ca.jpg&f=1

I liked the freedom of the ruleset from the Rogue Trader days than what looks like the heavily structured game it became as time has gone on.

Camouflaged Space Marines weren't an oddity, at least with official Games Workshop stuff back then.

466490-Camouflage%252C%2520Copyright%252258ffc28fbecb2aa4686a97885a40159.jpg&f=1

But I really do like some of the designs from today's game.  In particular I've grown to really like the look of some of the Eldar vehicles introduced after I stopped collecting.

Eldar Scorpion Grav Tank

DSC_0112.JPG

DSC_0115.JPG

The godd**n Baneblade.

The origin of the franchise, Rogue Trader rule book from 1987.

Rogue_Trader_FCover.jpg

• Cool 4

[SALVO]
Members
8,176 posts
6,059 battles
3 hours ago, kgh52 said:

My personal view,

Your lack of faith in the God-Emperor is most disturbing. Your heritical words shall not go unpunished.

• Cool 1

[KREW]
Members
613 posts
15,070 battles
49 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I have the vinyl album of the Heavy Metal movie sound-track.  :-D

Awesome movie of my high school and post high school years... Incredible soundtrack.

My friends and I spent many a night in altered consciousness watching my pirated copy of the movie or cruising around listening to the soundtrack.

Ahhh... Those were the days.

• Funny 1

[WOLF8]
Members
8,119 posts
6,782 battles
31 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Your lack of faith in the God-Emperor is most disturbing. Your heritical words shall not go unpunished.

968995334_Fokkenxenos_73bc615814b8e3176999fecdf549139a.jpg.3090ebe1f41416105644a31d2fd35a1b.jpg