You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
db4100

How Did Some Of These Players Get To High Tiers???

60 comments in this topic

[LWA]
Members
1,352 posts
15,592 battles

I had a very crappy game, as you can see....

shot-20_06.19_08_22.51-0152.thumb.jpg.6e33af621d3a00e4b1525e9979878f2d.jpg

But. I am still "King Potato"

Such crappy players.....A lot of them need to hang out at tier 5-6

Spoiler

2140707156_potatoteam.thumb.jpg.2f000bc09eac6ab9bb876ec72488fbad.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 5

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,956 battles

Using Potato Alert I noticed some guys only had 134 games and they were in tier 10. It's disheartening but let's not forget this is random, not ranked. In ranked 1st league, you definitely play better players 90% of the time.

[META_]
Members
1,831 posts
18,967 battles
3 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Using Potato Alert I noticed some guys only had 134 games and they were in tier 10. It's disheartening but let's not forget this is random, not ranked. In ranked 1st league, you definitely play better players 90% of the time.

Free xp monsters 👾, lol

[ARGSY]
Members
24,478 posts
18,475 battles
5 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

Free xp monsters 👾, lol

They must be using every bit of FXP they make along the way to jump up to the next level. Either that or they're buying older crates that give out Draconic flags and good camos to pound their way up the line as fast as they can.

I can understand it if it's a new account of someone who's already competent in high tier on another server, and they want their favourite T10 ship to play with ASAP,  but that will be reflected in their stats on the way up.

I don't think that's what db's running into here. Remember, it's only a million XP from Tier 1 to anywhere; and if you play the top ship in that line to the 3rd resource crate every night, you can do it in a month (literally 27.027027.... days). There are some mighty persistent potatoes out there!

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
819 posts
10,926 battles
11 minutes ago, db4100 said:

I had a very crappy game, as you can see....But. I am still "King Potato"

Such crappy players.....A lot of them need to hang out at tier 5-6

The thing of it is this:  Wargaming has the game such that if a player has earned enough xp/credits/coal/doubloons/money, they can play in high tiers with the vessel that their resources will get them.   There is no "db4100 requirement" that any sort of competency be shown.  It doesn't matter if you don't agree with this;  the game is about resources.

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,918 battles

There's a lot of Doofuses that think T10 is the tier to be in.

The record for speed in how to get there will be found (if it hasn't been already).

WF could care less. All they care for is money.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,787 posts
25,637 battles
7 minutes ago, Lonewolfpj said:

Bad players can be found everywhere. I am one of them and I play all tiers. 

Yeah I suck and I play at higher tiers in PvP because it is too hard to make book in PvE. It just amazes me how much xp and credits you earn, win or lose, in PvP even for doing very little. 

BTW having a tier 10 with 134 games is probably a re-roll account. Not sure you could bank enough ship xp in that many games in order to FXP to tier 10. 

Edited by Taylor3006

[WOLFA]
Members
853 posts
7,976 battles

WG shoves flags and camos down the throats of every player to get them to high tiers. The reason is to support high tier play you have to spend $$$ to continue in those tiers.

I gave up on the daily flag crates because it's nothing but free EXP and captain EXP and EXP flags.

[META_]
Members
1,831 posts
18,967 battles
56 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

They must be using every bit of FXP they make along the way to jump up to the next level. Either that or they're buying older crates that give out Draconic flags and good camos to pound their way up the line as fast as they can.

I can understand it if it's a new account of someone who's already competent in high tier on another server, and they want their favourite T10 ship to play with ASAP,  but that will be reflected in their stats on the way up.

I don't think that's what db's running into here. Remember, it's only a million XP from Tier 1 to anywhere; and if you play the top ship in that line to the 3rd resource crate every night, you can do it in a month (literally 27.027027.... days). There are some mighty persistent potatoes out there!

Usually it's 2 patterns, rerolls or 🐳 whales...... I'm not judging I've free xped passed things I didn't want to deal with... Congrats on the starting out streaming, I just started a YouTube channel a couple weeks ago posting wows videos.... Maybe we can collaborate on something sometime, happy hunting Captain 😎 

[ARGSY]
Members
24,478 posts
18,475 battles
12 minutes ago, CorradoG60 said:

nothing but free EXP and captain EXP and EXP flags.

More resources crates give you coal too. That gets you ships that are affordable to play at Tier 9 or 10 without paying money.

[WOLFA]
Members
853 posts
7,976 battles
17 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

More resources crates give you coal too. That gets you ships that are affordable to play at Tier 9 or 10 without paying money.

It's must easier to get to a tier X ship of the line than it is to get a tier 9 coal ship.

[WOLFG]
Members
12,668 posts
11,787 battles

Buy a premium.

Spam the ever living daylights out of it in coop. 

Spend ton convert the ship XP.

XP through a line to tier 10.

• Thanks 1

[--O--]
Members
994 posts
1 hour ago, Antean said:

There's a lot of Doofuses that think T10 is the tier to be in.

The record for speed in how to get there will be found (if it hasn't been already).

WF could care less. All they care for is money.

New here?

Flambino already found and made the video 30 games and your there.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
24,478 posts
18,475 battles
1 minute ago, CorradoG60 said:

It's must easier to get to a tier X ship of the line than it is to get a tier 9 coal ship.

I had Salem before I had my first Tier 10. This is probably because I concentrated on breadth in my lines rather than getting to Tier 10 ASAP, but the fact remains. 

T10 ships I ground to: Minotaur, Audacious, Moskva.

T10 I got for coal or FXP: Salem, Thunderer, Smolensk, Hayate.

T9 I got for coal or FXP: Musashi, Jean Bart, Georgia. 

T9 I got for steel: Black.

I consider getting the steel, coal and FXP ships to have been easier, because I could play any ship I wanted to get the resources to earn them.  I didn't have to play a particular Tech Tree ship obsessively. Some people are okay with that, and that's fine, but I don't want to make this game that much of a cross to bear.

[WOLFG]
Members
12,668 posts
11,787 battles
3 minutes ago, Mustangrde1 said:

New here?

He might have a slight advantage over most players.  Bad players would probably take quite a bit longer.

[THREE]
Members
2,151 posts
10,967 battles

Just remember, there's people out there that think the more T10s you have, the better you are at this game...

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
24,478 posts
18,475 battles
5 minutes ago, Mustangrde1 said:

New here?

Maybe with Flambass's talent and a full load of flags and camo on thirty really good games, it can be done. For a potato who can't even find their aft with both hands and a mirror, no way.

[WOLFH]
Members
986 posts
4,782 battles

It always amuses me whenever I have the crappiest match ever, and someone manages to do even worse... but that is ridiculous!.

Blessed be the whales for we'll inherit server uptime!

Beta Testers
237 posts
12,285 battles

The reason why they get to tier 10 is that losing is rewarded.

• Boring 1

[--O--]
Members
994 posts
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I had Salem before I had my first Tier 10. This is probably because I concentrated on breadth in my lines rather than getting to Tier 10 ASAP, but the fact remains. 

T10 ships I ground to: Minotaur, Audacious, Moskva.

T10 I got for coal or FXP: Salem, Thunderer, Smolensk, Hayate.

T9 I got for coal or FXP: Musashi, Jean Bart, Georgia. 

T9 I got for steel: Black.

I consider getting the steel, coal and FXP ships to have been easier, because I could play any ship I wanted to get the resources to earn them.  I didn't have to play a particular Tech Tree ship obsessively. Some people are okay with that, and that's fine, but I don't want to make this game that much of a cross to bear.

Stop right there.

You did the grind for Mino and Moska, those 2 cruisers classes will teach you how to play  (Salem, Smolensk, Jean Beart and even Georgia to a lesser degree) It was the Grind that gave you knowledge.  Gaining Coal you have to play enough games to earn it, sameish with steel.

You earned the knowledge by the grind, a lot of these players now are doing it without a grind. We might say it hurts the game from a players point of view but You know what spreadsheet says.... I will always believe people should have to grind to the tier before they can have a premium of that tier and class. Ya I know the MONEY option gets them their fast but how many can afford to do that more than once.

And last question are you liking Hayate

[ARGSY]
Members
24,478 posts
18,475 battles
2 minutes ago, Nergy said:

The reason why they get to tier 10 is that losing is rewarded.

Let's see you be the first volunteer to get zero XP on a losing game where you ALMOST carried but missed by a points tick.

Let's see the XP you would have got to be somewhere in the mid 2500's, and higher than the best of the winners.

Then let's see how you feel about that statement you made.

[--O--]
Members
994 posts
3 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

He might have a slight advantage over most players.  Bad players would probably take quite a bit longer.

2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Maybe with Flambass's talent and a full load of flags and camo on thirty really good games, it can be done. For a potato who can't even find their aft with both hands and a mirror, no way.

Both true replies.

lets take a 1/4 as good a player and say 120 games. I almost thought about having my wife try it as she never played the game, but she is a murder in Mech Warrior as well as COD and a few others she understands the mechanics of games to well. We would need a true virgin to gaming and I wonder if there is any left after Covid.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,478 posts
18,475 battles
3 minutes ago, Mustangrde1 said:

a lot of these players now are doing it without a grind.

No, they are still doing the grind. The difference is that they are doing it in such a way that they aren't learning from it. (Whether I have learned anything along the way is up for debate; I know my win rate is not good right now, and in some ships it is downright awful.) Most of the worst offenders I see at high tier are not in premium ships, whether for money or anything else. They failed their way up the grind 

4 minutes ago, Mustangrde1 said:

I will always believe people should have to grind to the tier before they can have a premium of that tier and class.

If not for the fact that access to some premium ships is fleeting and they may never return, I would agree with you. I didn't buy the Belfast when its removal was announced because it was withdrawn at a stage when my highest-tier ship was the Emerald (if that), and I was too scared to buy it because of what some people might say. Now I know I should have, but it's too late.

10 minutes ago, Mustangrde1 said:

And last question are you liking Hayate

Yes. The PTS echoed my entire port into the public test for this iteration, so I'm playing around with some different builds to see how they work out. I went all in on torpedoes when I got her, but I'm beginning to think I might have erred there and I'm using the PTS to play around with an all-in gun build to see if it's worth spending the 4 million or so creds that will be needed to swap modules out (am quite short after numerous recent acquisitions).

[ARGSY]
Members
24,478 posts
18,475 battles
9 minutes ago, Mustangrde1 said:

We would need a true virgin to gaming and I wonder if there is any left after Covid.

There are none.

My daughter has been allowed to have the occasional WOWS battle ever since I started playing. She drove the Zipper sub in the Halloween submarine event to a five-star win and sank the :etc_swear: Rasputin with it when she was six. Yes, I was telling her what to do, but she was still working the controls like a champ and actually doing what had to be done. 

She games hardcore in voice chat with her friends, and has been doing so for practically the whole of lockdown.