Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Diesel0331

Help with Choosing a Gunboat DD Line

6 comments in this topic

[NNF]
Members
1 post
3,665 battles

Howdy folks, long time player but this is my first post so I hope it's in the right place.

My favorite DDS are Shimakaze, Fletcher, and Chung Mu, but I've been struggling to decide on which Gunboat line to work my way up and I figured I'd ask around here for some suggestions. 

Which do you play the most and what do you like most about it? I'm not afraid of a slog to Tier X, but I wouldn't turn down a line that's decent along the grind to the top. 

• Cool 1

[NSC]
Members
2,662 posts
24 minutes ago, Diesel0331 said:

Howdy folks, long time player but this is my first post so I hope it's in the right place.

My favorite DDS are Shimakaze, Fletcher, and Chung Mu, but I've been struggling to decide on which Gunboat line to work my way up and I figured I'd ask around here for some suggestions. 

Which do you play the most and what do you like most about it? I'm not afraid of a slog to Tier X, but I wouldn't turn down a line that's decent along the grind to the top. 

For a gunboat DD, I would definitely recommend the British DD line. I really like the shorter cooldown smoke (though it also has a shorter active time) and the line is very good from T7 and up. Jutland is less good when you just get it, but with B hull you will gain an extra gun (still 3 turrets), which makes it just a great DD.

Members
12,662 posts
14,320 battles
1 hour ago, henrychenhenry said:

For a gunboat DD, I would definitely recommend the British DD line. I really like the shorter cooldown smoke (though it also has a shorter active time) and the line is very good from T7 and up. Jutland is less good when you just get it, but with B hull you will gain an extra gun (still 3 turrets), which makes it just a great DD.

I second this, I have loved using the British DD line and have kept tiers 5-10 on hand for use. They can be slightly tricky to use as they do have their own unique  characteristics and play style. But if you adapt to the needs of the British DDs then they will serve you well. The main things to get used to are are smoke smoke screens and lack of speed boosts. But the smoke being short duration and short cool down is actually a great asset once a player gets used to it. And the engine acceleration is good to compensate for the lack of speed boosts. The gins have good reload and hitting power. The torpedoes while not the longest ranged weapons are still useful as they can be fired individually or in sets. The hulls are compact sized and highly agile which makes them difficult for enemy counter fire to hit.

[WOLFC]
Members
5,675 posts
15,855 battles

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Akizuki and her successors in the IJN DD line. Take IFHE, pop your smoke, and proceed to melt everything within your firing range. :cap_rambo:

• Cool 1

[USCG]
Members
965 posts
29,829 battles

Concur with the folks above. The British line is very good gun wise and the torps are good too. Throw in hydro and things get even better...

The French line can be a bunch of fun (Mogador is my favorite) but they’re a completely different play style since they lack smoke. 

While the Euro line really isn’t a gunboat line (IMO) they are fun as well and didn’t think they were a grind at all. 80+ knot torps and rapid firing guns are all you need to have fun. 

Good luck whichever way you go. 

Sign in to follow this