You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DrHolmes52

Decisions

16 comments in this topic

[WOLFG]
Members
9,616 posts
8,595 battles

Coupons are renewed on Monday, and I am getting the Georgia.  Have Halsey, and he needs a flagship.

Also approaching 1 million FXP.  Was always going to be Alaska, but now Agir is around.  Agir would give me a high tier KM ship, which I don't have, while a second high tier U.S. ship would also be nice.

Doubloon coupon also re ups.  Choices are going to be:

Gallant.  Doesn't match the play style, but would get me a trainer.

Boise.  Light cruiser trainer I am lacking.

Scharnhorst.  Guilty pleasure.  May get Odin instead.

Ark Royal.  I know it is kind of Meh, but it is an inexpensive CV trainer.  Until yesterday I had 0 CVs.  Picked up the Hermes and ran it through a couple of training battles.  I think I can make it work and would have another option on directives.

Decisions, decisions.

[KWF]
Members
4,377 posts
6,405 battles

I'm convinced you will get the most bang out of your buck from Alaska or Friesland, not Agir. 

Gallant I would recommend against and instead suggest Cossack if you got the doubloons. One of the best DD hunters in the game, incredibly flexible and one of the best tier VIII DDs imo.

Boise and NDJ got hit pretty hard by the IFHE changes, dunno how much worth they are now. And with Narai being nerfed I believe they have lost some of their utility.

Scharnhorst is an excellent ship, highly recommended from someone who doesn't really play BBs. Her main battery can be trollish at times but you get a very nice platform that has stood the test of time.

Members
2,947 posts
36,731 battles
18 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Coupons are renewed on Monday, and I am getting the Georgia.  Have Halsey, and he needs a flagship.

Also approaching 1 million FXP.  Was always going to be Alaska, but now Agir is around.  Agir would give me a high tier KM ship, which I don't have, while a second high tier U.S. ship would also be nice.

Ark Royal.  I know it is kind of Meh, but it is an inexpensive CV trainer.  Until yesterday I had 0 CVs.  Picked up the Hermes and ran it through a couple of training battles.  I think I can make it work and would have another option on directives.

Decisions, decisions.

This should help. When snowflakes event starts, tier 8 and above give out steel.

• Cool 1

[RVNHQ]
Members
247 posts

I have Alaska, Ark Royal, Agir and Scharnhorst.

If you are a Co-op player the choice between Alaska and Agir is tough. If you play PVP occasionally Alaska is the better pick. She is tankier I feel and has utility that Agir can't match.

If you play Co-op exclusively I'd pick Agir. Since bots more or less zerg rush you the torpedoes on Agir are really helpful. Only downside is the lack of an icebreaker bow and since BB bots tend to aim middle ship you eat citadels through the nose.

Scharnhorst is over all a great ship. She is very forgiving and quite a decent brawler.

Ark Royal is the only ship one I don't recommend. Her planes are dreadfully slow and even with longer matches she struggles to have any impact on the game.

[KREW]
Members
146 posts
16,605 battles

All excellent points, I have 2 Alaska's and Agir, they are all wonderful ships.
That being said, if I were in your position, I would lean towards grabbing Alaska.
Having been around longer, if it were announced that it was going to be removed for whatever reason, you would be in a crunch to get FXP had you already spent it on Agir.

[DBRIS]
Members
627 posts
11,155 battles

Waiting on the new coupons too. Have enough coal and can't decide between Yoshino or Marceau. Probably should sit on my hands and see what else gets added to the armory.

[WOLFG]
Members
9,616 posts
8,595 battles

Good points all.  

My decisions on cash/doubloon premiums is to normally not go above tier 6 (Sharn still whispers to me though).

The only selling point on the Ark Royal is having a ship that can do directive missions without grinding.  It may be the only CV I ever own.

I hadn't thought about the Alaska getting pulled.  If I get the Odin, I will probably pass on the Agir.

[PVE]
Members
11,852 posts
24,537 battles
2 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Decisions, decisions.

Just a couple things to consider... (JMHO so take it or leave it as you see fit :Smile_honoring:)

• Halsey is tailor made for Baltimore; or even better Buffalo (Buffalo is where I have him). His perks of EL /EM will work well on Georgia too but IMO (FWIW) he is better on a CA with slow'ish turrets and long reload. On Georgia you are going to want to maximize consumables and secondary skills (SI/BFT/AFT/MS = 14 pts right there). You will want to use EM of course and he does help but it isn't a huge difference (36 sec w/ Halsey's enhanced EM vs 38.3 w/ regular EM). EL is his best skill (-75% ammo swap time). I know you don't have Baltimore or Buffalo yet but I see you are to New Orleans so Baltimore is next then Buffalo. Having the turrets swing quicker on Buffalo and then being able to swap between HE/AP so fast (3 sec w/ Halsey vs 6 sec with standard) makes it a great asset. Georgia will mainly shoot AP with only rare HE use so EL is just not needed. EM does help as turrets are slow of course but as pointed out the gain is minimal at best for that. His EL is his best skill so use it on a ship that can take advantage of it.
  • As to Agir vs Alaska. I can only tell you Alaska is an absolute beast. That ship is one of the few in game worth it's resources costs IMO. I would pay 2 Million for it never mind 1 Million. Agir feels pretty good early on here but it is no Alaska IMO. It has been out for quite a while now and you know how WG gets nervous when too many people have and play any particular Premium ship; they pull them. Agir JUST came out so it will be around for a long time. JMHO, FWIW to you, but get Alaska 1st then get Agir down the road. 
  • Also, another + for Alaska is that it provides a perfect Premium to use Halsey on as the optimal Capt skills, IMO, between Baltimore/Buffalo/Alaska are mirrored. This lets you use Halsey on a tech tree ship and have a perfect Premium for it too. Puerto Rico if you ever get it loves Halsey and the Baltimore/Buffalo build as well. It also works great on Indianapolis and Wichita should you ever get them. Halsey with the CA build also works very well for the US Premium CL Boise too which I see you have. That ship has CA levels of turret rotation and reload. It drops that turret rotation down to 16 sec and when you need to swap from HE to AP it cuts it to just 2.5 sec. 

So definitely Alaska and if you do get Alaska give some consideration to making Halsey a CA Capt if you will go all the way to DM (he is not needed on DM). There are more ships that can benefit from  a single build on the Cruiser side, tech tree and Premium, than will if you build him for Georgia where only that ship and the Premium's Mass/Mass B will benefit. 

Again, just something to think about. You do what you want with your stuff obviously. :cap_like:

[WORX]
Members
10,680 posts
18,567 battles
3 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Decisions, decisions.

I recommend getting the AK and hold off on doubloon ship spending for now...

[META_]
Members
1,247 posts
16,118 battles

Congratulations on the Georgia, Alaska is  a solid winner if you choose that route.... Agir I'm guessing is similar to a prinz eugen if you have that... I personally like my prinz... But I like ugly ducklings.. Good luck 🤞 with your choices

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,738 posts
19 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Decisions, decisions.

Georgia is a great ship, you will not regret it.  Fast reload for a BB with 18" guns, actually pretty agile in its way, but a little softer than you'd expect in the sides -- play it like a ridiculous supercruiser, not like a BB, I say. 

As noted above, Cossack is a wonderful DD too. 

Boise has a massive heal, especially with the signal flag.  I really like the ship, though it's seen a bit less playtime since I nabbed Flint.  (Narai was only really nerfed in the sense that running it "short" doesn't give a big bonus to payouts.)

Scharnhorst is one of my top-10 ships, it can be the world's meanest cruiser when attacking battleships, and a nasty high-ROF battleship when attacking cruisers. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[WOLFG]
Members
9,616 posts
8,595 battles

Update:  Ark Royal is off the table.  After running the Hermes through a number of training battles, I came to the conclusion I don't enjoy how CVs play in general.

Edit:  I may change my mind on getting the AR.  If I can finish missions quickly with a CV, it would give me more time playing ships I really enjoy.

NOPE.  Tried one last time.  I just don't enjoy CVs.  Directives aren't worth that much.

Thinking a destroyer.  Maybe Leningrad.  Don't have a Russian trainer.  Also gives me another T7 destroyer (in a line I have ships).  Will be useful for the next directive.

Edited by DrHolmes52

[DBRIS]
Members
627 posts
11,155 battles

I went with Yoshino. I am used to IJN cruisers so nothing unexpected there. So far, so good!

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,332 battles
On 6/19/2020 at 9:37 AM, DrHolmes52 said:

NOPE.  Tried one last time.  I just don't enjoy CVs.  Directives aren't worth that much.

T6 CV research price is likely to drop soon, to 40K XP. You might want to persist and get yourself into the Furious over the long haul, if for no better reason than to be able to fly around and get all your spotting ribbons quickly.  But yeah, if it's not your thing there are more appropriate ships to spend your dubs on.

Scharnhorst is good in co-op because she can farm main, secondary AND torpedo hits all in the one hull. Then again, so can Gneisenau (and for free).  And Odin will cost you less at a higher tier if you finish the event. 

[WOLFG]
Members
9,616 posts
8,595 battles
52 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

T6 CV research price is likely to drop soon, to 40K XP. You might want to persist and get yourself into the Furious over the long haul, if for no better reason than to be able to fly around and get all your spotting ribbons quickly.  But yeah, if it's not your thing there are more appropriate ships to spend your dubs on.

Scharnhorst is good in co-op because she can farm main, secondary AND torpedo hits all in the one hull. Then again, so can Gneisenau (and for free).  And Odin will cost you less at a higher tier if you finish the event. 

I actually didn't get anything (with doubloons).  I picked up the Georgia (being used to JB guns, there is an adjustment period).  

I was gonna get the Leningrad for a trainer/help with the Russian DD defends/kills mission, but the Podvoisky carried, and I didn't need it.

Just got a big pile of doubloons and am waiting.

[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Members
214 posts
10,743 battles
On 6/19/2020 at 8:07 AM, DrHolmes52 said:

FYI:  I'm not a CV guy myself, however T6 CV's in Operation Aegis and Killer Whale is a different experience than in Randoms or co-op.  I have all the CV lines to T8, mainly due to those 2 OP's, and will likely do the same for the KMS CV's.  I rarely play CV's, and haven't done a single CV specific mission in several patches, but having the option is always a good thing.  I did get Ark Royal out of a Christmas Container, but don't even remember if I've ever driven her ... ah, I just checked and I have played 1 co-op in her... it is nice to have the option.

Abbye