You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
eMercody_Viveleny

Pensacola Secondary Build?

7 comments in this topic

Members
53 posts
3,132 battles

I’m kinda in the mood to make use of the super accurate Pensacola secondaries. But the real question is, do I murder my fire chance to pass the 25mm threshold or do I leave it as is and only terrorize smaller targets? There is a lot of that juicy plating but you kinda go kaboom 7km from a battleship.

what are your thoughts on such a dumb Pensacola build?

• Funny 1

[--V--]
Members
1,418 posts
13,605 battles

I've tried secondary builds on a lot of ships NOT normally considered for secondaries.   The big delineation points are Tier 7 and BBs.  Anything below T7 just isn't worth it except for @#% s and giggles due to the dispersion.  Even with full secondary capt build.  And cruisers generally just don't have enough secondaries to be worth it.

With only 4 - 127mm per side and a 4.5s base ROF,,,, you'd be hard pressed to get much value from a secondary build on the Pcola.

Let us know how it goes though.

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,083 posts
7,978 battles

I somehow got two secondary kills in a single match with old T7 Pensacola, so it can't be that bad...

Honest talk, I wouldn't go IFHE or Manual Secondaries. Use AFT and Secondary Mod if you want to meme, the rest invest into more effective skills. If you see an opportunity, grab it, if not, you can still play decently without feeling like your ship is working against you.

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,608 posts
19,739 battles

Secondary builds is more for battleships base on my game experience. I would use the four points on something else, like Survivability Expert and expert loader. Even RPF would be rewards over Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament. BTW, have your tracked how many secondary hits you are getting from matches? You game play results will help you with your build decisions.

Edited by Tpaktop2_1

Members
71 posts

I enjoyed my time in Pensacola grinding up the tech tree... but I came to see her secondaries as more of a "warning, you are too close to the enemy and exposing too much broadside" indicator. If they were firing, that usually meant I'd done something very, very ill-advised and was about to get spanked for it.

Members
53 posts
3,132 battles

So, subs really don’t appreciate Pensacola secondaries. Considering they have splash on secondaries about 4 times as accurate compared to the competition, it doesn’t take much to hurt a sub. Pensacola is pretty much a 6.8km don’t surface zone.

[ICEY]
Members
163 posts
4,817 battles

@eMercody_Viveleny

Pensacola is one of my first ships I started with and I've been playing this ship for a while. The 25mm buff to the bow allows you to tank AP up to 14 inches so you can technically go and brawl with a battleship with your secondaries but I wouldn't recommend it unless you find yourself in a situation where you have no choice. I've been considering a secondary build but I don't want to give up too much up for it. If you want to give up main battery mod 2 (although its hard cause the traverse is slow) then that's good for secondaries. I would also go AFT but skip manual secondaries because the secondaries are already accurate enough and the points are better used for concealment expert because your concealment is huge and disengaging from a fight you don't want to die from is more useful. Not sure if I would recommend BFT... Maybe DE would be better. Rate of fire is good enough. Secondaries are great for damaging dds while your guns turn around. Don't go for IFHE. 25mm pen is good enough for most targets. You want penetrations against destroyers and fires on battleships.

ALSO, I would only suggest doing secondary build on a Pensacola if you are doing operations. Operations provide lots of meme worthy opportunities to get in close to the enemy and get away with a lot of things. Today I brawled with several battleships in Operations while bouncing all their AP (thanks to the 25 mm buff) and my secondaries burned them to death. Also I killed some dds with them too. I can tell you that 90% the stuff I pulled off in Operations would end up with me dying in randoms.

I tested a full secondary build in PTS once in a training room. The secondaries are effective against destroyers but it takes a really long time to sink the full health destroyer even if you are scoring 90% of your hits. So I would not rely on the secondaries killing destroyers but I think if you max out the range (forget manual secondaries) and take DE, then you have a viable build without sacrificing much. DE is great for fire starting and doing damage to anything that your secondaries can't pen.

This is the skills I would recommend:

Priority Target

Expert Marksman

Demolition Expert

Advanced Firing Training

Done! Easy 10 pt commander!

Edited by Admiral_Bingo