Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sovereigndawg

Less Is More? Operation 4 Star.

22 comments in this topic

[TBW]
Members
10,283 posts
17,482 battles

Why is it my credits are better with a 4 star Op than a 5 star Op?

image.thumb.png.d924cc31a1c979a3c0c469e04141949d.png

image.thumb.png.216088beb538ec530a8e4c079f9db21e.png

image.thumb.png.0c53b998094e3fd0296183f2553a65b4.png

image.thumb.png.bb185bd68a3cd5954a4ae7d5470fe3dd.png

image.thumb.png.b019555d3c67b03fb954c9ea9528868a.png

image.thumb.png.07f5df97d4ddba27eb7834b9ab3bdb8b.png

image.thumb.png.92506c433ad6de9b002bdd1e990bef35.png

image.thumb.png.55f51db68ba41efeb9543f23e452a35d.png

image.thumb.png.75c17f8083a02f8a974946bed748f4a2.png

image.thumb.png.4bc83404ce6e22ebac19d3087f1fc750.png

image.thumb.png.532b70c482c45a4411914c2265f95926.png

image.thumb.png.738a2d755715296084556961766d4d94.png

I guess we have Common Core scoring now. 4 stars is better than 5 stars, I guess the skill level to only get 4 stars, is harder than to get 5 stars, if some one accidentally gets the extra star you lose points. Good math and great new algorithm WG. The signals didn't change unless I ran out of a dragon or two but the last game, which is the first one shown would have had the least signals and camos, so 4 star wins over 5 star in Operations. Common Core.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SIGG]
Members
51 posts
2,647 battles

Here is mine tonight with 4 stars, didn't take any other pics sadly.  Believe I was just running credits, freexp, and commandxp flags.  Someone spawned the extra BB's so the 3rd mission required BB didn't die before mission end. 

shot-20.06.17_20.10.15-0291.jpg

[TBW]
Members
10,283 posts
17,482 battles
2 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

You likely carried harder on the 4 star.

One 4 star battle but not the other and I have 4 or 5 more 5 star Dunkerque battles I could show. Some how I think 4 stars is better now,, in Aegis at least so far. I will keep a weather eye on it.

• Confused 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,809 posts
1,478 battles

Wonder if it could be due to spotted damage ?

[SACH]
[SACH]
Members
990 posts

Remember kids WG is only interested in random battles . And if they can get more players into them better for them.

Operations and coop don't matter much to them .

Although they did finally include more missions that can be completed in coop but that's more of a door prize than a fix.

Edited by Versili
  • Cool 1

[KREW]
Members
146 posts
16,584 battles

Patch or two ago WG fixed scenarios by reducing payouts on 5 star, but increasing payouts on 3-4 stars. Spreadsheet says it is fun you are having. :fish_book:

• Cool 2
  • Confused 1

Banned
627 posts
6 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Simple really, this is how Wargaming is subtly getting rid of Operations, by making them no longer economically viable. Wargaming has shown time and time again that they don't give a damn about Operations and rather then just ending the misery and getting rid of them they are just slowly strangling the mode, and stringing us along.

• Cool 1

[WOLFX]
Members
108 posts
17,751 battles

lol i totally believe they would have jacked up the economy so bad this is true, please keep us informed, in the meantime I will ignore the games economy alltogether.

[P-V-E]
Members
1,508 posts
10 hours ago, Admiral_Downes said:

Patch or two ago WG fixed scenarios by reducing payouts on 5 star, but increasing payouts on 3-4 stars. Spreadsheet says it is fun you are having.

for tier VI operations, 0 to 3 star had their XP and credits increased, 4 and 5 star had their XP and credits reduced.

for tier VII Narai, 0 to 3 star had their XP increased, 4 and 5 star had their XP reduced, and for 0 to 5 stars credits have been reduced.

• Cool 1

Members
590 posts
4,140 battles
10 hours ago, Admiral_Downes said:

Patch or two ago WG fixed scenarios by reducing payouts on 5 star, but increasing payouts on 3-4 stars. Spreadsheet says it is fun you are having. :fish_book:

They are now rewarding mediocre play, while offering a disincentive to good play and teamwork.  Here is what it said in update 0.9.3:

• As of now, completing an Operation with an incomplete team doesn't provide any economic advantages.
  • The amount of XP and credits you receive when playing Tier VI ships in Operations has been increased for any Operations completed with 0–3 Stars, and has been reduced for Operations completed with 4–5 Stars.
  • Similar changes have been made to Operation Narai in terms of the XP you receive, but the amount of credits you receive has been reduced for completing it with any number of Stars.

These changes are intended to balance the amount of XP and credits that Operations can bring in comparison to other battle types, taking into account the difficulty level of Operations.

• Cool 1

Members
590 posts
4,140 battles

Oh, and I should have added this is yet another change that no players were asking for.  Yet another good idea from our overlords at WG, I'm sure there is a spreadsheet somewhere that says this is good for "us".  Maybe they were looking at Defense of Naval Station Newport, which is the hardest (for me) with a random group of teammates?  They sure weren't looking at the other Operations.

Edited by HayabusaZ

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,726 posts
23 minutes ago, HayabusaZ said:

They are now rewarding mediocre play, while offering a disincentive to good play and teamwork.  Here is what it said in update 0.9.3:

• As of now, completing an Operation with an incomplete team doesn't provide any economic advantages.
  • The amount of XP and credits you receive when playing Tier VI ships in Operations has been increased for any Operations completed with 0–3 Stars, and has been reduced for Operations completed with 4–5 Stars.
  • Similar changes have been made to Operation Narai in terms of the XP you receive, but the amount of credits you receive has been reduced for completing it with any number of Stars.

These changes are intended to balance the amount of XP and credits that Operations can bring in comparison to other battle types, taking into account the difficulty level of Operations.

Did they actually make 0-3 stars pay out MORE than 4-5 stars, or did they just flatten out the increase from 0 to 5?   If it's the latter, that's hardly "rewarding mediocre play". 

As for eliminating the extra per-player payouts that came from playing the Ops shorthanded, I can see why they did that, when there are people posting screenshots of 5-figure XP payouts for doing them with short divs.   

[P-V-E]
Members
1,508 posts
17 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Did they actually make 0-3 stars pay out MORE than 4-5 stars, or did they just flatten out the increase from 0 to 5?

the latter, flatten out the relevant difference.

i.e. all things being equal in your personal performance, 5 stars still pays out more than 4, which is more than 3, which is more than 2 etc etc.  

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,726 posts
1 minute ago, b101uk said:

the latter, flatten out the relevant difference.

i.e. all things being equal in your personal performance, 5 stars still pays out more than 4, which is more than 3, which is more than 2 etc etc.  

That's what I thought.  

But of course some people are going to present that as "rewarding bad play" in the same way that having a budget go up by 5% instead of 10% is often portrayed  as a "budget cut".  :Smile_smile:

• Cool 1

Members
590 posts
4,140 battles

Here is what it said in update 0.9.3:

• The amount of XP and credits you receive when playing Tier VI ships in Operations has been increased for any Operations completed with 0–3 Stars, and has been reduced for Operations completed with 4–5 Stars.  Flattening

For me the 4 stars seem to pay off at least as well as my 5 star wins have been, and sometimes more.  I've even had 3 star pay off very well.  I'm playing with random teams, so it can be tough to do a compare from one game to the next.  I've had players tell me in chat that the last star is no longer necessary/worth the effort.  I'm like ???  Which seems to be the perception of some of the players out there after the changes.  Which is why I posted about the new system rewarding mediocrity.

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,726 posts

As other have noted, you cannot just look at the stars, you have to look at your own performance.  The stars are only one part of the equation. 

It is quite possible that a 4-star result involves a team that is struggling more, thus putting more weight on YOUR shoulders and upping your personal contribution to the point that it pays out more than some of the 5-star results you're seeing.  

This also happens in Co-op -- there is a sweet spot where enough of your team is good enough to cross the low bar of beating the bots, but not so great that they wipe the bots in a 3-minute landslide.  

ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL, it's still more "profitable" to 5-star an operation. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[SIGG]
Members
51 posts
2,647 battles

Well from my previous post decided to run again, but with every flag on, save a few combat ones.  Here are my results for a 5 star win, granted I didn't do very well.  Dunno if that helps the OP with figuring out how xp, credits go etc.  :)

Personally I was happy with the earnings, but YMMV.

shot-20.06.18_19.06.16-0675.jpg

shot-20.06.18_19.06.53-0980.jpg

shot-20.06.18_19.07.06-0465.jpg

Members
927 posts
10,208 battles

Yeah, I think it is probably uncommon to 5-star an operation unless your team is playing reasonably well as a whole.  So the 5-star payout, while greater, tends to be more evenly divided top-to-bottom.  When several members of your team fail early, and you have to carry by getting even more kills and damage, you may end up with an individually greater payout even though one of the secondary tasks fell by the wayside.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,067 posts
14,307 battles
On 6/17/2020 at 11:21 PM, Sovereigndawg said:

Why is it my credits are better with a 4 star Op than a 5 star Op?

I know they wanted to reward botched ops a little better than they did for all the time and effort the team put in, but this seems to be an unintended consequence of that!

Sign in to follow this