You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Bortt

Trying to decide between Hood and Ashitaka. Help me decide?

36 comments in this topic

[Y0L0W]
Members
507 posts
16,693 battles

Hey folks. As the title says. Between Hood and Ashitaka any suggestions or tips?

Edited by Bortt

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,809 posts
1,478 battles

Ashitaka is suppose to be better with it's 16 inch guns over Hood's 15 inch. She also get access to special camo that will increase credits.

[Y0L0W]
Members
507 posts
16,693 battles

Duke of York is probably another option as well.

Probably wouldn't consider the camo for Ashitaka. 

Thinking more in line with which one is funnest to play.

2,809 posts
1,478 battles

Looking at mouse's reviews Ashitaka is considered as good while hood is meh. Duke of York is GARBAGE.

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 2

[RLGN]
Members
14,302 posts
25,209 battles
8 minutes ago, skillztowin said:

feeling the hood over ashitaka, but its a close call. 

Really?

I would have just said Hood for history, Ashitaka if you actually want to play a ship.

Hood isn’t particularly bad; but hooray power creep.

2,809 posts
1,478 battles

I would recommend Nelson if you like funny but you need free xp for that ship.

• Cool 1

[WW2]
Members
352 posts
6,857 battles
10 minutes ago, Bortt said:

Duke of York is probably another option as well.

Probably wouldn't consider the camo for Ashitaka. 

Thinking more in line with which one is funnest to play.

I like my duke, It does very well in randoms.

Edited by Darmokattenagra

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
4,303 posts
6,266 battles

Hood is a bit more well rounded comparatively. Her horizontal protection is bad, but otherwise her guns are pretty good and she's fast enough to kite very well. Ashitaka on the other hand has the best firepower at tier 7 with ten 410mm rifles, but pays for it by being even squishier than Hood. You can maybe (and people do) debate whether Hood is a battlecruiser or a full blown battleship, but Ashitaka is DEFINITELY a battlecruiser with her protection, no questions asked.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,629 posts
4,997 battles
26 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Hood is a bit more well rounded comparatively. Her horizontal protection is bad, but otherwise her guns are pretty good and she's fast enough to kite very well. Ashitaka on the other hand has the best firepower at tier 7 with ten 410mm rifles, but pays for it by being even squishier than Hood. You can maybe (and people do) debate whether Hood is a battlecruiser or a full blown battleship, but Ashitaka is DEFINITELY a battlecruiser with her protection, no questions asked.

Hood is better protected than Sinop, Nagato and Lyon.  Hood is a battleship.

• Confused 1

Members
197 posts
1,338 battles

I've never played Ashitaka, so I can't speak to that one. However, I bought Hood a couple of months ago and I haven't regretted it for a second. She's a lot of fun, very fast and surprisingly tanky. If she has one weakness I'd say it's the low damage output on her AP shells. That could use some work. Her HE shells are just fine, however.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,629 posts
4,997 battles
7 minutes ago, HMS_Hoodwink said:

I've never played Ashitaka, so I can't speak to that one. However, I bought Hood a couple of months ago and I haven't regretted it for a second. She's a lot of fun, very fast and surprisingly tanky. If she has one weakness I'd say it's the low damage output on her AP shells. That could use some work. Her HE shells are just fine, however.

Keep in mind that Hood's AP has poor krupp values so penetration suffers, but in some compensation she is one of only two BBs with improved pen angles (Duke of York is the other) on AP.  Her HE is bog standard BB HE.  It is not the improved RN HE.

[Y0L0W]
Members
507 posts
16,693 battles
1 hour ago, alex08060 said:

I would recommend Nelson if you like funny but you need free xp for that ship.

Have it already. Thanks though!

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
5,994 posts
20,694 battles

Ashitake is an old A hull Nagato.

Guns are somewhat inaccurate at range, but when they hit they hurt.

Hood is a battlecruiser. Weaker armor and battleship inaccuracy . Faster and more of a fun factor.

So deliberate patient firepower vs ability to shift .

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,629 posts
4,997 battles
Just now, dEsTurbed1 said:

Ashitake is an old A hull Nagato.

Guns are somewhat inaccurate at range, but when they hit they hurt.

Hood is a battlecruiser. Weaker armor and battleship inaccuracy . Faster and more of a fun factor.

So deliberate patient firepower vs ability to shift .

Your post is very wrong.

Ashitaka is the old A hull Amagi, but with the good Type 91 shells that Nagato and Amagi have rather than the crappy Type 88 shells it used to have. It has the highest firepower of any ship in Tier VII.  Its protection is very much weaker than every other Tier VII BB and it is definitely a battlecruiser.

Hood's armor is better than several battleships.  Her belt is thicker than Sinop's, thicker than Lyon's and thicker than Nagato's.  Angled Hood is also tougher than Colorado, KGV, DoY and Nelson.  When angled Hood will bounce Musashi's 460mm shells off of her flanks all the way up to deck height and off of her deck as well.  Her 51mm deck will shatter all cruiser HE in her matchmaking range.

• Cool 2

[-OG-]
Members
283 posts
7,721 battles

I after having both ships and 900 battles in Hood I can easily say Hood will win... or at least if I’m fighting you.

In a 1v1 comparison Hood has better speed, higher hit points, better firing angles and crucially a crap-ton of armour. The rest of the British bb’s don’t get any armour because the Hood stole it. As long as you’re not broadsiding everyone and angle your hull you can tank almost anything in this game. Hell, I went up against a Musashi in a 1v1 and came out victorious.

Basically Ashitaka is all about the guns, the armour is garbage, the AA is a joke and a decent Hood player will wreck an Ashitaka in a 1v1 scenario in a brawl. Ashitaka is forced to stay a longer range because she has such terrible armour, Hood can push a flank and as long as you’re angled then you’re a pretty hard ship to get rid of.

Finally Hood gets the glorious 67 degree autobounce angles of American heavy cruisers. This means that battleships that give even the slightest bit of broadside can be punished hard by Hood’s AP shells. But that’s just my take on her.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[INTEL]
Members
13,057 posts
36,022 battles

Ashitaka for sure. Those Amagi guns are a blast. Just guard your side carefully and you can enjoy excellent games in it. 

Her major downside is that her AA is not very good, and worse since the ReBork gutted AA. Sky Griefer drivers know this, so expect to get farmed.

[WORX]
Members
10,635 posts
18,550 battles

So, I just did a side by side comparison of the two ships...

The only thing I can discern between them is the hood has DEFAA while the shiticaca doesn't..

The Shitticaca looks to be more of an Offensive BB..

The Hood was meant to be more of a shell sponge...

Both are good ships at there perspective roles... So if I were you, I would pick the Hood if I want a defensive BB

While the Shitticaca as your Offensive BB.

Overall I pick the Shitticaca.

Members
1,225 posts
5,930 battles
4 hours ago, Helstrem said:

Hood is better protected than Sinop

That's simply not true. The only T7 BBs better protected than Sinop are the Germans. It lacks the ice breaker and the belt isn't enough to be relevant.

Edited by Tekina_
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[SIM]
Members
4,929 posts
8,006 battles

Personally, I'd reach for my Ashitaka 9 out of 10 times over my Hood. The Hood is (sadly) a very marginal ship, whereas the Ashitaka is an effective specialized glass cannon. 

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
4,165 posts
4,371 battles

Ashitaka in all honesty. If you have Nelson, the only reason you're getting Hood is for historical purposes.

~Hunter

• Boring 1

[ANZ4C]
Members
113 posts
6,896 battles
8 hours ago, Bortt said:

Hey folks. As the title says. Between Hood and Ashitaka any suggestions or tips?

Scharnhorst

• Haha 1

[Y0L0W]
Members
507 posts
16,693 battles
43 minutes ago, GetSchwifty01 said:

Scharnhorst

Have it 

Beta Testers
1,256 posts
12,781 battles

I like them both.  Ashitaka hits a lot harder versus other BB's.  Hood is faster and has an AA consumable.  Get them both!