You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ArIskandir

Theorizing about a Support ship class

21 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
8,341 posts
6,181 battles

I don't know if the topic has been debated before, but as the game is taking a more "gamey"(?) Nature with new gimmicks and more "arcade" mechanics, I don't see why we couldn't consider the inclusion of a support class ship in lines of classic MMO gameplay.

As classes are now, we have Tanks, Rogues, Damage oriented types and freaking Wizards, what we don't have is a dedicated Healer/support class. 

What I mean is a ship class dedicated to supporting the "fighting" ships and providing them with the utilities they lack by themselves. We already have the concept of healing ships in OPs, think of a ship class able to bring that ability to randoms, along with other specialiced "skills" like dedicated strong AA suite, smoke, radar/hydro, ASW, spotting planes and pushing the envelope, things like ECM/counter radar, dedicated ASW and fighter (what about player controled ones?) hydroplanes. 

What do you think such a class can add to the game? Would you be interested in playing it? Is it a dumb idea, why?

• Boring 1

[SRBL]
Members
559 posts
15,194 battles

I liked the Steel Rat in the Halloween missions. It was always fun shooting a teammate back to full health only to have them get pissed you were shooting them. 

• Haha 1

[SALVO]
Members
8,341 posts
6,181 battles
Just now, Tom_Greg said:

I liked the Steel Rat in the Halloween missions. It was always fun shooting a teammate back to full health only to have them get pissed you were shooting them. 

Haha, I missed that event, sounds fun

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,868 posts
9,238 battles

I'd be interested in something like that, as I've usually been a support player in any RPG I've ever played. Trying to add something that plays primarily a support role would be difficult, but maybe some type of a fleet tender that can repair (i.e. heal) ships, repair broken mounts, restore a consumable charge, provide a temporary buff (Ice cream is back on the menu, sailors!), etc. However, in a steamroll game, any type of primary support role ship isn't going to get much of an opportunity to do anything. On top of that, you have to make it appealing to play. Weak/minimal/no armament in a game of shooty boats would be a tough sell.  

Interesting idea, but hard to find a use and appeal for such a ship type. 

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,332 posts
23,759 battles

Always thought it would be fun to have a firefighting consumable you could share with teammates.  Pull up w/n "x" radius, pop consumable, put out teammates fires.

• Cool 1

[GPORT]
Members
246 posts
14,393 battles
2 minutes ago, mrieder79 said:

I'm not sure how it would be represented in game, but I would be interesed in something like this. I guess a tender would be the best way to classify it.

and that wouldn,t have much if anything above some decent AA ( 24-32 number range ) and maybe 4 secondary with a 3-4.5 k range . Would definitely need a babysitter...…..

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,923 battles
40 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

a dedicated Healer/support class. 

....as in a 'hospital' ship class?  Sure, Arlskandir, let's have even more 'arcadism'. :Smile_child:. We can rename this game WoFS (World of Fantasy Ships). The game is headed that way already. :Smile-_tongue:.

[WOLF7]
Members
905 posts

I like the idea of a "cleric" ship class. Ship would be melee oriented (weapon similar to mace/morningstar) and wear heavy armor. Resurrect dead ships? Heal ships with no heal of their own? Turn undead ships? Detect heresy amongst division mates? "bless" ships to boost damage dealing? Yes please to all of the above!  :cap_book:

• Haha 2

[D-H-O]
-Members-
4,756 posts
15,709 battles
16 minutes ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

@Hapa_Fodder, will we see any support-type ships in the game? 

:SerB:

I mean, anything is possible....

[SALVO]
Members
8,341 posts
6,181 battles
6 minutes ago, Antean said:

....as in a 'hospital' ship class?  Sure, Arlskandir, let's have even more 'arcadism'. :Smile_child:. We can rename this game WoFS (World of Fantasy Ships). The game is headed that way already. :Smile-_tongue:.

Yup. It is already very arcadish, I enjoy simulators and realism a lot too but that boat left port a long time ago, I prefer to enjoy this game by what it is and not what I like it to be. 

[SALVO]
Members
8,341 posts
6,181 battles
8 minutes ago, HamAndCheez said:

I like the idea of a "cleric" ship class. Ship would be melee oriented (weapon similar to mace/morningstar) and wear heavy armor. Resurrect dead ships? Heal ships with no heal of their own? Turn undead ships? Detect heresy amongst division mates? "bless" ships to boost damage dealing? Yes please to all of the above!  :cap_book:

Would be great for next halloween :cap_haloween:

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,923 battles
10 minutes ago, HamAndCheez said:

Bad Sandwich! Bad, bad, bad. You are giving too many ideas (:cap_haloween:) to WF for Halloween Event. 

[SALVO]
Members
8,341 posts
6,181 battles
39 minutes ago, Brohk said:

Weak/minimal/no armament in a game of shooty boats would be a tough sell.  

Interesting idea, but hard to find a use and appeal for such a ship type. 

I'm not so sure. There is a substantial amount of players that enjoy playing support roles in cooperative games. Maybe it could be an interesting way to bring to the game more varied types of players, and for a change a hard way to promote cooperation in random matches.

21 minutes ago, Gafwmn said:

and that wouldn,t have much if anything above some decent AA ( 24-32 number range ) and maybe 4 secondary with a 3-4.5 k range . Would definitely need a babysitter...…..

Wouldn't you babysit a ship that heals you, reset your consumables, buff your AA or smokes you while disengaging?

It is a fair deal

40 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

Always thought it would be fun to have a firefighting consumable you could share with teammates.  Pull up w/n "x" radius, pop consumable, put out teammates fires.

Cool idea for a consumable

30 minutes ago, mrieder79 said:

I'm not sure how it would be represented in game, but I would be interesed in something like this. I guess a tender would be the best way to classify it.

A lot of ships IRL in a fleet besides "fighting ship". You have coliers/tenders, tankers, tugs, hospital ships and various types of logistical ships. You could also insert here smaller support ships as frigates, etc and make them viable by giving them utility consumables over firepower. 

Of course the slots for support ships in Randoms must be capped as with CVs

[SALVO]
Members
8,341 posts
6,181 battles
23 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

I mean, anything is possible....

Hahaha we got that message loud and clear with the subs. 

Seriously, your proyect design reunions must be boring if nobody comes with "wacky" ideas sometimes. I call dibs if this one hits development 2 or 3 years from now. 

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,418 battles
1 hour ago, Tom_Greg said:

OMG I loved that ship. People trying to kill me because I was healing them was hilarious. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,507 posts
24,689 battles
4 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Haha, I missed that event, sounds fun

My favorite ship for HE trolling is the Mogami 155s (only ship I ever almost*** ranked out in...1 game away...back & forth 6 times in 1 night 1 game away...& then ***I don't wanna talk about it :Smile_sad:. Quick moral... don't stay up all night playing ranked while BENT)

In that Halloween mission Mogami was the Octopus & had a consumable that gave all teammates w/in a certain radius 10k health...but the Steel Rat (Z-52) could take you from 1HP to full health real fast...as long as you were in it's gun range cause it had to shoot you to do it...& he's right..the "TK" complaints (from those that didn't check all the consumable options before jumping in) were hilarious...in game & in the forums :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

Members
648 posts
15 hours ago, HamAndCheez said:

I like the idea of a "cleric" ship class.... Turn undead ships? Detect heresy amongst division mates? "bless" ships to boost damage dealing? Yes please to all of the above!  :cap_book:

That would be useful in the halloween events.

[SOUP]
[SOUP]
Members
1,674 posts
7,378 battles
On 6/17/2020 at 3:03 PM, Warped_1 said:

Those of us who play Scenarios know about the repair ship, Cimarron. Stick close to her and your ship is "repaired" back to 100% hp.

My humble suggestion is to introduce Japanese Repair Ship Akashi to the game, and have her and Cimarron appear randomly on those operations that require them (Narai, Raptor Rescue).

image.png.677244ebec352b5426ac2f77315b81b7.png

Edited by Atomic_Manatee
  • Cool 1

Members
1 post
840 battles

Personally I would love to see the introduction of support ships for several reasons:
A: Historic basis. The USN alone had dozens of ships that would be suitable for the role. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_auxiliaries_of_the_United_States_Navy. Everything from tenders and repair ships to radar pickets and ammunition ships.
B: Variety of play. It allows a style of play that isn't focused so much on damage dealing.
C: Bonus to team play. Having a ship that could repair, resupply, or otherwise buff would encourage strong team play.

Ideas for the ship play/abilities (some previously mentioned above):
A: Putting out fires, repairs, resupply of consumables, smoke screens, AA, radar, maybe reload boosters.
B: Recommend abilities not just be big AOE passives so that the support ship must constantly maneuver to keep close or perhaps separate mechanics to efficiently manage the logistics.
C: Recommend putting the same limit programming present with CVs.

Pictured are the USN ships Annapolis, Mount hood, Vestal, and Klondike.
Photos pulled from Wikipedia.

USS_Annapolis_(AGMR-1)_leaving_New_York_Naval_Shipyard_after_conversion_(NH_106715).jpg

USS_Mount_Hood_(AE-11)_off_the_Norfolk_Naval_Shipyard_on_16_July_1944_(19-N-70330).jpg

USS_Vestal_(AR-4),_circa_the_early_1920s_(NH_43621).jpg

USS_Klondike_(AR-22),_USS_Taussig_(DD-746),_USS_John_A._Bole_(DD-755),_USS_Lofberg_(DD-759)_and_USS_John_W._Thomason_(DD-760)_at_Subic_Bay_on_1_November_1963_(NH_82517).jpg

• Cool 1