You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TinCanMan_

What should a BB shoot at?

33 comments in this topic

[-NXS-]
Members
30 posts
3,211 battles

I am branching out from my DD play into BBs.  This morning, I found myself shooting enemy BBs when I had a choice between cruisers and BBs with their broadsides to me.  My allies were all shooting cruisers.  So I wonder was I doing the right thing?  The last game, I saved the CV from a dd but only did 27k before I died.  I think other BBs ran from the dd and consequently opened up the side and it fell to me to turn, sail and engage him.   There are millions of scenarios, any simple rules.? 

In a random game what should a bb player shoot at?

1. Closest target

2. Biggest threat

3.  Most likely kill, greatest damage potential

4.  Something that is likely to give your ally something they can finish

5. Hold my fire until I can finish something off my partner has been working on for the last 2 minutes?

What do good bb players and good teammates shoot at first?

Members
580 posts
7,375 battles

I almost never pass up likely citadels, but focus fire can be more important.

A radar cruiser pressuring a cap for example, might be a better target than a bad bb player offering a broadside. 

It's all very situational. 

Not #5. That's not how you win games.

Edited by MinkeWhale

[SALVO]
Members
4,408 posts
3,819 battles
5 minutes ago, TinCanMan_ said:

I am branching out from my DD play into BBs.  This morning, I found myself shooting enemy BBs when I had a choice between cruisers and BBs with their broadsides to me.  My allies were all shooting cruisers.  So I wonder was I doing the right thing?  The last game, I saved the CV from a dd but only did 27k before I died.  I think other BBs ran from the dd and consequently opened up the side and it fell to me to turn, sail and engage him.   There are millions of scenarios, any simple rules.? 

1. Closest target

2. Biggest threat

5. Hold my fire until I can finish something off my partner has been working on for the last 2 minutes?

In general terms (not only regarding BBs), you need to evaluate what is the better option for giving your team the advantage, which is never something fixed as always focus x or y ship.

It is very situational and depends on team composition, the golden rule is remove the highest threats asap. For example, that top tier BB with low HP that is disengaging... Better to remove it from the match before it heals up; or that DD that got spotted and is within effective range, blast it; that radar cruiser that is keeping your DDs out of cap and is now in plain sight, nuke it.

There's no fixture, it is up to you to evaluate which target is more important to remove to achieve victory, with a priority on the "removing" from the game part. 

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,135 posts
5,005 battles

Shoot at the biggest opportunity/most strategic. It varies depending on the match, positioning, gamemode, etc. In ranked you wanna shoot enemy DDs even if it means only landing one hit. In randoms you want to be cruising for that dev strike or citadels. CBs are all about shooting whoever is focused. 

You want to shoot who will make you more likley to win (usually the highest potential). If saving that CV was going to be a huge advantage in that battle, then take that mediocre 27k dmg with pride. 

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,553 posts
11,742 battles

You should the biggest threat.  Screw the damage.  Damage does pad stats.  That includes DDs.

[UN1]
Members
1,215 posts
3,652 battles
20 minutes ago, TinCanMan_ said:

1. Closest target

2. Biggest threat

Battleships as a class both deal and take the most damage, but that comes at the cost of having the least impact on the outcome of the game. Your best bet when playing a battleship is to target classes that have more impact on the overall outcome of the game than you, and that is destroyers and cruisers. Cruisers are obviously going to be a much easier target to whittle down then destroyers, but you don't ever want to pass up the opportunity to get a shot or two in on the destroyer when you can.

and went in a situation where you have both a broadside cruiser and a broadside battleship in front of you, unless the battleship is about to bleed to death and you just need to finish them off, the best target of choice is always the cruiser.

• Cool 1

Members
580 posts
7,375 battles

Shooting dds is highly valuable. Remember that damage is reward based on the hp pool of the target. 10k salvo agaisnt a bb with 100k health with heal is less valuable than a 2k salvo on a 20k health dd.

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles

In order of priority:

> AP on broadside cruisers.

> AP or HE on nearby destroyers, though don't waste time reloading ammo.  Just shoot what you have loaded (same for engaging cruisers).

> Battleships or carriers that happen into range.

However, keep in mind that matches are fluid and the situation is always changing, so there is no such thing as a "fixed" solution.  Read the situation as it develops and act accordingly.  Scan the minimap constantly (should be using the minimap at least as often as the main screen).  Use your head.  Just doing these things puts you at an advantage over most in Random Battles.

• Cool 2

[WOLFB]
Members
429 posts
7,935 battles

Well, it mainly depends on the caliber of your guns.

457mm+ you can overmatch a lot of targets when angled so you can take a lot more pot shots at bow/afts.

Around the 406mm spectrum you need to be more opportunistic with your broadside shots, cause you can't exactly overmatch much, but remember, you have HE, shooting HE in a BB isn't something to get upset about, if you have a target that refuses to turn and only gives you bow or aft shots, just punt him with some HE and force him to move, just remember to switch between the two according to the situation.

Smaller than 406 you need to be even more opportunistic with your shots, you won't do much with AP against angled targets unless its either ultra light armored or you get superstructure hits, HE against angled targets usually provides better results.

Now, in terms or target order going from larger to smaller shells (from what I usually like to do), but remember, this is just in general, if you're in a situation where a DD or cruiser gets spotted at lower Hp than anything around you, you smack that target with all you got to help your team make a hole in the enemy.

- 457mm or higher: Cruisers > BBs > DDs

Cruisers don't like it when their armor is essentially useless at any angle, so eliminating dangerous cruiser targets should be priority one, then you can move over to BBs and chunk them, and lastly DDs. Of course this is assuming your'e using mostly AP to score those overmatch citadels, you can still switch to HE and launch bus sized HE shells at targets, and smashing DDs with those hurt, a lot.

- Around the 406mm calibers: You can shoot at pretty much anything tbh, your job is to make holes in important targets, you can do that with both your shell types, but if you see a cruiser or DD limping away you smack em.

- Smaller than 406mm:  Cruisers > DDs > BBs

You're gonna have to try to wiggle your way around the map to try to exploit enemy broadsides, cause you ain't gonna be overmatching much with your AP, on the other hand, have no qualms about smashing peoples angled bows and afts with HE, exploiting damage control cooldowns is a great way to both rack up DOT damage on an enemy as well as allow your team mates to light em up too. Making a BB blow its damage control on a 2 fire salvo from your own BB (and/or large cruiser) to then the enemy be smashed by your team mates torps is always satisfying.

Now always remember, these aren't set in stone, you act according to the situation in front of you and use both shell types accordingly, doesn't matter if you do 50k damage or 150k damage, if that 50k damage put a massive dent in an important enemy ship and distracted them for long enough to not shoot your team mates, you did your job as a BB fine, then its up to your team mates to take advantage of that hole you left (which sadly only happens like 5% of the time cause teamwork in this game is like finding a unicorn).

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,114 posts
4,088 battles

Simple answer, you shoot everything.

More complicated answer, you shoot the most valuable target, often the same as the most dangerous target.

You're right, there are a lot of situations, and no single set of rules is going to cover this. You shoot the best target, but what makes a target the best one?

First, think about what your BB does best. Large amounts of damage, but slowly. You only fire about every 30 sec, so you need to pick your target carefully. Do not simply unload at the first thing you see once you're reloaded. Use that reload to pick your target.

The most common answer is the target you can do the most damage to. So if you're at medium or long range and you have a choice, angled BB, angled cruiser, or broadside BB. The biggest damage is going to likely be the broadside BB. But if the cruiser is looking like he's going to pull a turn, wait for him to start, estimate where he's going (you get very good at this in a BB) and shoot him. Remember you need patience in a BB. The best target may not be immediately available. Look at what the enemy ships are doing, there's that kind of angled BB, but that cruiser is going to clear that island full broadside in 10 sec, wait for him. Of course you can't wait all day for the perfect shot, but a bit of patience in target selection is crucial in a BB. So usually it's the target you can do the most damage to. 

However, there are situations in which that is not the case. Smoke ships are one. If you get a chance to shoot a mino or smolensk take it, because chances are by the time you reload he'll be gone for the next two minutes and you're going to regret letting him get away. Same with DDs. If you have a window on a ship that's going to disappear in a second, take it.

Then there's what ship is more dangerous. That cruiser is a moron at 13km broadside, but the angled schors at 6km is about to turn and torp you. You need to blap him because if you don't he's going to get you. Is that cruiser plinking away from max range a threat (and can you even hit him?) as opposed to the angled BB 4 km away? Remember your AP does nasty things even to most angled ships.

Then there's focus fire. If you have 2 other ships focusing on one ship, help them take him down faster as opposed to shooting the ship who may be a juicier target further away. Focus fire wins games, if the guys with you are BBQing someone, help them, then you can all move on to the next fellow. Though exceptions to this are HOLY crapthat DD just popped up at 5km! or hey mino, your smoke ran out, let me remind you of that...

Then there's DDs. Always shoot DDs, no matter the HP. A lot of people think they have to load HE or shouldn't bother shooting DDs. That's just wrong. Sure you only overpen most DDs. But 10% of 13K is a lot of damage to a DD. And if you land 6 or 8 shells, that's A LOT of damage. And DDs are hard to hit, so the more people shooting them the more chance enough connects to put him down. Now don't be taking pot shots at 12km if there's better targets, but if one get's spotted in a cap he's pretty much always going to be priority number one. Remember even a low HP DD can cause serious issues for you later, and you don't want him getting away on 2K HP because you couldn't be bothered to lob a couple 16in shells in his direction.

Low HP targets are trickier. If someone's on low HP and burning and under fire, it's probably OK to let the team finish them off. But kills are always better than damage. A ship on 1 HP has the same firepower as one on full HP. So if you see a low HP target that isn't guaranteed to go down, nuke him. Way better you waste a salvo than he escapes. Now don't kill steal, don't wait until they're low HP to grab it. That's a waste of your firepower as well as scumbag. But if that cruiser is about to get away on 500 HP you shoot him.

So usually you go for the most damage. But immediate threats need to be eliminated, DDs always, take out ships that might only give you one opportunity, and make sure the low HP ones don't get away.

Basically you shoot the most valuable ship. Think what's the best use of this salvo to help the team win. Usually it's knocking 20K plus off some poor sob. But it might be removing a DD, whacking a cruiser about to smoke, or finishing off a cruiser about to escape. RN cruisers are the worst. You let a low HP one escape and the next thing you know they're back to half HP spamming you from a smokescreen. So there's no one ship you should focus on (except DDs, always shoot DDs), but more what's the most you can do toward removing the number of guns shooting back at you and your team.

[TBW]
Members
10,289 posts
17,483 battles
30 minutes ago, MinkeWhale said:

Shooting dds is highly valuable. Remember that damage is reward based on the hp pool of the target. 10k salvo agaisnt a bb with 100k health with heal is less valuable than a 2k salvo on a 20k health dd.

Pretty much this is what I would say too. If you are a DD player then you know that the DDs are/were the eyes of the team. Setting up crossfire opportunities with the other BBs on your team is good. Broadside targets are hard to pass up. If your team is concentrating on a ship and you can hit it, it's a good idea.

[INTEL]
Members
1,773 posts
15,690 battles

IMO/E, there are no hard rules except:

1. Anything that immediately threatens your own survival. If your dead your shot selection is zero.

2. Take any shot you can get at a DD. For obvious reasons.

3. After that its whatever is the biggest threat. Radar cruisers would seem to be the obvious 3rd choice except so many are played so far from anywhere useful to the red team. A DM 15k from a cap or any of your DD's just kiting around in the rear isn't exactly a threat. Nor is a stationary Stalingrad camping beside an island and apparently trying to earn a Building number (USN vets will understand that reference). Either of those ships positioned close to your objectives and being effective are absolutely worthy of your salvo's.

Dead last is AFK ships. No reason to bother with them at all as a BB unless everything else is dead or you don't have a shot. Unfortunately the majority of players will shoot an AFK ship before anything except a CV.

[A-O]
Members
1,001 posts
10,090 battles
46 minutes ago, MinkeWhale said:

as this equals 10% of HP in each case would that not be treated equal then ?

[--O--]
Members
931 posts

Caps win games and as a DD you should know the biggest threat is a Cruiser, as a BB shoot the threat to the DD and you allow at least one objective to be contested or taken, You also remove HE that will kill you and free up the DD to hunt other dds, spot and cap or contest. My primary target is always a Cruiser no matter what ship im, they are just to dangerous with HE, RELOAD, RADAR, HYDRO etc to let live.

Members
667 posts
9,190 battles

All other things being equal(i.e. you have a good chance of landing shots and doing damage):

spotted DDs in effective range > cruisers > BBs

In fact ALL ships should really be priority targeting DDs when they are spotted, though BBs probably don't want to waste a low % salvo on a dodging Mogador or Kleber at 15km if you have a broadside cruiser at 10km.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[TOG]
Members
68 posts
8,389 battles
22 minutes ago, freggo said:

From a silver and exp standpoint, yes.  From a 'impact on the game' standpoint, the DD hps are most likely worth more.

My target hierarchy:

1.  The biggest thing I can kill in this shot.  RNG may troll me, but if there's a good chance to take a ship off the map, it's preferred.

2.  Any DD I can expect to do damage to. (I won't waste a shot on a DD 25 KM away, even in a ship that can reach that far.  But damage  to a DD helps the team most, so it's generally top).

3.  Radar cruisers/CVs

4.  Other.  Prioritize this based on situation - broadside Cruiser beats bow in BB, but if the BB is what the team is focusing and I can hurt him, I probably will join in.

Edited by Rorik64
Punctuation

[WOLF3]
Members
27,058 posts
23,842 battles

My Priority Targets:

1.  DDs - You may get few hits, but understand that every bit of damage really hurts them.  A single Overpen AP hit from a North Carolina against a DD is still 1,310 damage.  For a Benson with SE trait and having 18.2k HP, that is 7% of its HP and it adds up.  If NC hit a Farragut with SE trait and having 13.6k HP, that NC AP Overpen is still 9.6%.  Sometimes you get multiple hits for more damage.  It affects how aggressively they play and it allows your team's DDs to maybe get an advantage.

I've even taken 14km, 15km BB salvos at DDs.  You never know what you'll get, sometimes you get very pleasant surprises and have plenty of hits in a salvo.  This is especially true with Battleships with 12+ guns.

2.  Radar Cruisers - Make the life of your team's DDs easier by killing them or at the very least, driving them away.  BBs that are too far back to reliably hit Radar Cruisers only emboldens the Radar Cruiser Player.

3.  Cruisers.

Broadside Targets go right to the top if they're at a range that you feel confident in hitting.  That differs from one BB player to another.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
580 posts
7,375 battles
31 minutes ago, freggo said:

Yes, equal in rewards, but not in game impact. I was saying if the battleship has heal and a dd doesn't,  the dd damage wins out.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,427 posts
14,165 battles

In general with all ships I tend to focus on torpedo armed ships so number two.

[TDRB]
Members
5,138 posts
13,741 battles
1 hour ago, TinCanMan_ said:

1. Closest target

2. Biggest threat

Defending yourself is my top priority in most, I said most, not all, situations as the team needs the BB's guns.

Next is all situational. Radar & torpedo boats are always high priority as are DD's, if you can get a good shot. Defending your DD's is also a high priority.

• Cool 1

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,888 posts
17,933 battles

As others have noted, it's very situational.  There are no hard and fast rules.  Furthermore, like many other attributes that become ingrained over time, you will eventually reach a point where it is not even a cognitive thought process.  You won't even ask yourself the question "What should I shoot now".  It becomes so automatic, your subconscious knows the answer before you can ask the question.  It just flows in the moment.  Same with leading a target, maneuvering, glancing at the mini-map, zoom in/out for SA, etc.  Half the things I do in game I don't even realize I'm doing them in the moment.  I'll notice watching a replay...but in the moment...nothing.  Picking a target usually falls into this category.

There are unique exceptions, like when you're surprised by a different target that merges into a decision threshold that your subconscious can't handle.  So they ring up the conscious brain...and ask the question.  But this is more of a strategic threshold than a tactical threshold.

Members
1,053 posts
4,376 battles

Come to think of BBs, I actually had a pretty funny moment this morning. 

I was in a Tier 10 game in my Grosser Kurfurst, and I spotted a Harugumo that had smoked up in front of me. I flipped on the Hydro and spooked him, and he turned tail and ran away at a 90 degree angle.

I put all four turrets into him and blapped him for his entire ship with 6 full penetrations. All 25,600 damage and a Devastating Strike Medal to go with it.

Remember kids, Harugumo may be awesome, but just like Khaba, it's hull is so incredibly dense it can arm BB AP shells, especially if you're sailing in the wrong direction.

:SerB:

Edit: Yes, he did call hax. The Moskva on my team was only too happy to point out the major weakness of his ship.

Edited by Shrayes_Bhagavatula

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,042 posts
12,725 battles
2 hours ago, TinCanMan_ said:

1. Closest target

2. Biggest threat

A toss up between 2 and 3.

If you see a broadside cruiser, you're never gonna pass up a shot at a juicy citadel, and getting rid of a red ship is always a good thing. Slamming a DD that's coming your way is also a good idea, as if he's dead, you won't get torped by him, so you can keep your guns firing.

1 really isn't the bigger concern, it's more what you are likely to hit? Close or far away really doesn't matter.

4. Doesn't really matter, as long as the other guy ends up on the bottom.

5. You really shouldn't be holding you fire for that, BB's and CV's have a similar limitation, a very low rate of fire. You need to maximize the effects of your firing opportunities, and maximize the number of them. So, holding your fire to kill steal is a waste of firing opportunities, where just plain pounding on the same target as someone else is encouraged, regardless of who gets the kill. Likewise, if you see someone about to burn or flood out, you're better served to shoot something else, unless of course you won't have a target in the next 30 seconds.

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,421 battles

What should a BB shoot at? Is this a trick question? Answer: Anything it can hit  :cap_rambo:(& we need a few more emojis like this guy but with different guns  :cap_haloween:).

Edited by Antean
correction