You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Option 3: Both Of The Above (Update 0.9.6 news)

11 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
20,067 posts
14,307 battles

So if the Hamburg Dockyard event is running over both 0.9.5 and 0.9.6

and German Carriers is starting up in 0.9.6... 

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/bulletin-096/ 

How the heck are they going to mesh both these things together?

Also, can someone tell me what this means?

image.thumb.png.ee33f131871acd270b32ee6223095952.png

I think it will end up meaning that B hulls, B guns, B fire control systems etc. will be researched in a linear vertical order, which means no more going through Minsk B hull to get to Minsk B torps to get to Ognevoi, or having to go through Amagi B hull first to get the extended range GFCS. That would actually be quite good. @Hapa_Fodder, could we get some clarification, please?

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,524 posts
13,893 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

So if the Hamburg Dockyard event is running over both 0.9.5 and 0.9.6

and German Carriers is starting up in 0.9.6... 

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/bulletin-096/ 

How the heck are they going to mesh both these things together?

I think it will end up meaning that B hulls, B guns, B fire control systems etc. will be researched in a linear vertical order, which means no more going through Minsk B hull to get to Minsk B torps to get to Ognevoi, or having to go through Amagi B hull first to get the extended range GFCS. That would actually be quite good. @Hapa_Fodder, could we get some clarification, please?

So the DY and the German CV event will run parallel during 0.9.6, there is no conflict so this will be fine.

Essentially what they are talking about in your snippet is ships that have the one off modules that are specific to a ship and only that ship. This is going away. I believe your explanation is correct, I am looking more into this.

-Hapa

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,336 posts
19,526 battles
31 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:
33 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Essentially what they are talking about in your snippet is ships that have the one off modules that are specific to a ship and only that ship. This is going away. I believe your explanation is correct, I am looking more into this. 

I think Cthulu is right, and what you said is not quite the same. It's not about modules appearing on multiple ships or not (e.g. upgraded Mahan torpedoes being the same as stock Benson torps). From what I can see, the change is to eliminate "horizontal" tech requirements, like how Mogami's 155s used to only be available on the A hull, or how you have to research some B hulls to unlock the B torps.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,067 posts
14,307 battles

Hopefully while they're about it, they'll tease apart some of the other mixed upgrades we have in the game: e.g. New York's gun range rises significantly when you get the B hull, but you lose most of your secondaries; that could go into a researchable main turret module. Ognevoi B hull gives you more health, but also affects the number of torpedo tubes and their reload time; that could be split off into a researchable torpedo system (which Ognevoi currently doesn't have). I think a couple of the Brit destroyers pick up an extra torp tube or two with the hull upgrade as well; those should really be upgraded torpedo modules. And so on.  

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
6,858 posts
15,336 battles
8 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

I think Cthulu is right, and what you said is not quite the same. It's not about modules appearing on multiple ships or not (e.g. upgraded Mahan torpedoes being the same as stock Benson torps). From what I can see, the change is to eliminate "horizontal" tech requirements, like how Mogami's 155s used to only be available on the A hull, or how you have to research some B hulls to unlock the B torps.

That's my interpretation as well. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,726 posts
41 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

So modules, and not the handful of specific special upgrades like the aiming buff upgrade on Katori.  

[ARGSY]
Members
20,067 posts
14,307 battles
4 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

So modules, and not the handful of specific special upgrades like the aiming buff upgrade on Katori.  

The problem is that common usage refers to the upgrades as modules.

St Pete's really need to run their stuff past a native English speaker with extensive WOWS experience before release; I'm 99.999% sure that the difference in structure of the two languages is responsible for most of the miscommunications we get. The rest is hypernerds so familiar with the nature of the product (because they programmed it) that they lose sight of the fact that not everyone else "gets" it as quickly.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WOLFC]
Members
488 posts
6,377 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

St Pete's really need to run their stuff past a native English speaker with extensive WOWS experience before release; I'm 99.999% sure that the difference in structure of the two languages is responsible for most of the miscommunications we get. The rest is hypernerds so familiar with the nature of the product (because they programmed it) that they lose sight of the fact that not everyone else "gets" it as quickly.

Most definitely. The actual job title they'd need to look for is a "Technical translator". Basically it's a translator who specializes in technical writing. Only downside for us head scratchers is that it's also not a cheap hire. Average salary is in the skilled programmer realm.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,726 posts
11 minutes ago, Nolo_00 said:

Most definitely. The actual job title they'd need to look for is a "Technical translator". Basically it's a translator who specializes in technical writing. Only downside for us head scratchers is that it's also not a cheap hire. Average salary is in the skilled programmer realm.

Some days I feel like that's half my job, only the languages are "sales people", "warehouse staff", "IT department", "transportation department", etc.  

• Haha 2

[ARGSY]
Members
20,067 posts
14,307 battles

I was right; the researchable hulls, torpedoes, guns, fire-control etc., are now all vertically oriented and independent of each other.

One surprise I did get is that the research pathway for the Minsk has changed considerably. The Kiev and Ognevoi are now researched from the Minsk B hull and torpedoes, rather than the Kiev being researched directly off the Minsk's gun system without having to go through the B hull first and Ognevoi requiring you to go through both the B hull AND the B torpedoes before you even STARTED on the grind to unlocking it.

I can't say what this will mean in XP, since I already have both unlocked, but I'm hoping it will give some sort of even-handedness to the decision of which of Ognevoi or Kiev to research first if you want both. Beforehand, Kiev was the no-brainer. Moving forward, that may or may not be the case.

[PVE]
Members
4,255 posts
18,579 battles
On 6/17/2020 at 12:11 PM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

A lot of games I've played over the years use players that they have interacted with on a constant basis as "first readers" of news and technical releases....  That way, they don't  have to spend money and you can one in every major language at no cost.....  Like you or many others above would get a pre-release to scan and ask relevant questions of........