You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SeaRaptor

First Look: Tier IX Premium German Battleship Ludendorff

27 comments in this topic

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors, WoWS Community Contributors
2,721 posts
13,690 battles

This patch we got Tier VIII German battleship Odin, but another high-tier German premium battleship is under construction.  Let's take a First Look at Ludendorff.

• Cool 6
  • Thanks 2

[ARGSY]
Members
24,477 posts
18,460 battles

Poor old Tirpitz. Between Odin, Siegfried, Agir and now this, her niche as Germany's premium torpedo battleship is getting awfully crowded. Yes, I know two of those are called cruisers and the other one that's a BB only has 12 inch guns, but I think my point still stands.

The vague thought of picking up Tirpitz one day had always lingered at the back of my mind, and I'm sure for the historical enthusiasts it always will, but for me this changes everything. Now one can get a high-tier German premium hydro battleship and a high-tier German torpedo battleship all in the one hull, with 50% more gun barrels, and if the coal statement is correct I won't even have to pay for it. 

Your firepower comparison between this ship and Alsace is on point, but for someone like me who plays a lot of co-op, those torpedoes that Alsace doesn't have and the fact that she's a premium are going to make up a lot of the difference. Plenty of people already have brawler captains that they've bred up in Gneis and Bismarck and the like; having this ship to throw them in is going to bring a lot of boys to the yard. 

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
3,306 posts
26,945 battles
1 hour ago, SeaRaptor said:

This patch we got Tier VIII German battleship Odin, but another high-tier German premium battleship is under construction.  Let's take a First Look at Ludendorff.

Thanks for the Info...………….

[MHG]
Members
92 posts
4,765 battles

Interestingly, I can only find one reference of a preliminary design of H39 with 12x15" rather than 8x16"

I imagine the turrets are totally made up or a very obscure design that was scrapped in the 30's.

[USN]
Members
1,640 posts
21,132 battles

I'm interested in how that the ship was renamed to Pommern, yet it went to testers with the original Ludendorff name.

[--V--]
Members
1,540 posts
14,283 battles

Depending on how the stats hold up, this may be a Premium ship I'm finally excited about.

Now to wait and see if its Steel only.  Make sense as its not a 'bad' premium as many others have been of late.  And Ziggy/Agir are avail with Coal and FXP and Odin via the Dockyard.

[-TOG-]
Members
154 posts
6,746 battles
14 hours ago, Fatalimpulse said:

Interestingly, I can only find one reference of a preliminary design of H39 with 12x15" rather than 8x16"

I imagine the turrets are totally made up or a very obscure design that was scrapped in the 30's.

Because WG doesn't make stuff up....?

[ARGSY]
Members
24,477 posts
18,460 battles
47 minutes ago, SeaborneSumo said:

Now to wait and see if its Steel only. 

Supposedly for coal, but I've mislaid the link to the stream clip where Crysantos said so. 

[--V--]
Members
1,540 posts
14,283 battles
40 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Supposedly for coal, but I've mislaid the link to the stream clip where Crysantos said so. 

Coal would be nice.  Building my coal back up after splurging on Yoshino a few months back. 

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
5 hours ago, SeaborneSumo said:

Depending on how the stats hold up, this may be a Premium ship I'm finally excited about.

Now to wait and see if its Steel only.  Make sense as its not a 'bad' premium as many others have been of late.  And Ziggy/Agir are avail with Coal and FXP and Odin via the Dockyard.

If she comes for dobloons, i am right into her!

4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Is there a chance for coal and dobloons?

[--O--]
Members
994 posts
17 hours ago, Antean said:

I wonder when it will be nicknamed 'Ludikruss'? :cap_haloween:

No

She does not have that speed enabled, she is German.

We will probably see Ludikruss and maybe Plaid in a Soviet Premium t-10 DD

[TIMT]
Members
1,740 posts
5,623 battles
18 hours ago, tfcas119 said:

I'm interested in how that the ship was renamed to Pommern, yet it went to testers with the original Ludendorff name.

Pure speculation on my part, but here are my thoughts why the name change makes sense:

Ludendorff as a name makes sense when you consider there is also the Bismarck, Scheer, Hindenburg etc. so it is another period accurate name which might have been used for a ship. However, since this ship is entirely fictional and Ludendorff is a somewhat problematic historical figure (Look up his post WWI career and political positions, the Beer Hall Putsch etc.) I see why someone in the PR department might have suggested a renaming of the ship with a view towards EU players.

Pommern is a somewhat good replacement imho, since it is a name previously used for older BBs, though it would probably not have been used in the time where it was supposed to have been build (if that makes any sense at all).

As towards the question with testers etc, I think it was technically just easier to clone the ship in the database, give it a new name and then release that ship to the public once stats are finalized. To keep the data consistent and not interrupt the testing etc. they just kept the name/version for testers unchanged. After tests are done the test version is removed and only the Pommern version becomes available.

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
18 hours ago, Antean said:

I wonder when it will be nicknamed 'Ludikruss'? :cap_haloween:

I believe it just has been. Quite an appropriate name too. I like it. Well done.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,477 posts
18,460 battles
9 minutes ago, shinytrashcan said:

Ludendorff is a somewhat problematic historical figure (Look up his post WWI career and political positions, the Beer Hall Putsch etc.)

Only if you choose to bring that up. Most people are not aware of that until people like YOU make a particular point of bringing it up. 

Ludendorff handed the Russians one of their biggest smackdowns of WW1. The fact that Russian developers chose his name to put on a ship indicates that they were concentrating on all the right things.

[TIMT]
Members
1,740 posts
5,623 battles
24 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Only if you choose to bring that up. Most people are not aware of that until people like YOU make a particular point of bringing it up. 

Ludendorff handed the Russians one of their biggest smackdowns of WW1. The fact that Russian developers chose his name to put on a ship indicates that they were concentrating on all the right things.

True, so I wont dwell on this any more than saying that you are right with the developers and my suspicion is this came from PR or legal since this might become an issue in countries like Germany etc.

[WOLF8]
Members
8,126 posts
6,782 battles
On 6/17/2020 at 10:51 AM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Poor old Tirpitz. Between Odin, Siegfried, Agir and now this, her niche as Germany's premium torpedo battleship is getting awfully crowded. Yes, I know two of those are called cruisers and the other one that's a BB only has 12 inch guns, but I think my point still stands.

The vague thought of picking up Tirpitz one day had always lingered at the back of my mind, and I'm sure for the historical enthusiasts it always will, but for me this changes everything. Now one can get a high-tier German premium hydro battleship and a high-tier German torpedo battleship all in the one hull, with 50% more gun barrels, and if the coal statement is correct I won't even have to pay for it. 

Your firepower comparison between this ship and Alsace is on point, but for someone like me who plays a lot of co-op, those torpedoes that Alsace doesn't have and the fact that she's a premium are going to make up a lot of the difference. Plenty of people already have brawler captains that they've bred up in Gneis and Bismarck and the like; having this ship to throw them in is going to bring a lot of boys to the yard. 

Wait, Ludendoff gets torpedoes? I thought she was just a Freddie clone with 12 380mm guns... :Smile_hiding:

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
1 hour ago, Mustangrde1 said:

No

She does not have that speed enabled, she is German.

We will probably see Ludikruss and maybe Plaid in a Soviet Premium t-10 DD

We need a camo that turns plaid when the ship exceeds say 40 knots. 

• Cool 2

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors, WoWS Community Contributors
2,721 posts
13,690 battles
7 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

We need a camo that turns plaid when the ship exceeds say 40 knots. 

You get my vote.