You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Midshipman_Hornblower

Potential Damage Calculation

12 comments in this topic

[TORCH]
Members
594 posts
14,840 battles

One of this week's dockyard missions requires 22.5M potential damage.  That got me to thinking about potential damage, and I realized quickly that I don't know much about the subject.  I thought I understood it.  Then I started looking for definitive information and couldn't find much.  There are some fairly old forum posts, but even those don't always agree.  So...here's a couple rather esoteric questions on the subject:

1.  Is the ACTUAL damage you receive included in the calculation of POTENTIAL damage, or does potential only count the ordnance that lands or passes close, but doesn't actually hit?

2.  If hits are included, does the calculation use the actual damage done, or the maximum the hit COULD have done.  I expect the latter, in which case a ricochet would cause zero actual damage, but would count as an AP citadel hit for calculation of potential damage.

3.  Does ramming count?  If so...let's say I ram a BB with my cruiser, I die, and the BB doesn't.  As I understand ramming, the max damage that BB can do is equal to his total HP pool (not the HP he has left), so would I get credited with potential damage equal to the BB's total HP pool, even if I only had, say, 100 HP left (and thus the ram only did 100 HP damage to me).

Where I'm going with this is trying to figure out how to grind through that mission as fast as I can.  I don't LIKE missions like this, because they kinda force you to do dumb things.  For example, right now I'm doing it in coop, and I turn off my AA, so that I WON'T shoot down the bot planes before they can drop their ordnance.  But now my devious mind is wondering if I could collect potential damage in big chunks by ramming the biggest thing in sight.  Not that I LIKE that idea (another of those dumb things missions make you do?), but maybe it would get this thing over faster.

[WORX]
Members
10,650 posts
18,555 battles
15 minutes ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

One of this week's dockyard missions requires 22.5M potential damage.  That got me to thinking about potential damage, and I realized quickly that I don't know much about the subject.  I thought I understood it.  Then I started looking for definitive information and couldn't find much.  There are some fairly old forum posts, but even those don't always agree.  So...here's a couple rather esoteric questions on the subject:

1.  Is the ACTUAL damage you receive included in the calculation of POTENTIAL damage, or does potential only count the ordnance that lands or passes close, but doesn't actually hit?

2.  If hits are included, does the calculation use the actual damage done, or the maximum the hit COULD have done.  I expect the latter, in which case a ricochet would cause zero actual damage, but would count as an AP citadel hit for calculation of potential damage.

3.  Does ramming count?  If so...let's say I ram a BB with my cruiser, I die, and the BB doesn't.  As I understand ramming, the max damage that BB can do is equal to his total HP pool (not the HP he has left), so would I get credited with potential damage equal to the BB's total HP pool, even if I only had, say, 100 HP left (and thus the ram only did 100 HP damage to me).

Where I'm going with this is trying to figure out how to grind through that mission as fast as I can.  I don't LIKE missions like this, because they kinda force you to do dumb things.  For example, right now I'm doing it in coop, and I turn off my AA, so that I WON'T shoot down the bot planes before they can drop their ordnance.  But now my devious mind is wondering if I could collect potential damage in big chunks by ramming the biggest thing in sight.  Not that I LIKE that idea (another of those dumb things missions make you do?), but maybe it would get this thing over faster.

?????

Ok lets get you up to speed.

PD = Potential DMG... How do you get it ??

You get PD by getting aimed (using the X key from the red ship) at and them fired upon. Few things.

• The higher the caliber gun the more PD you get.
  • Torp DMG count as well if they're being targeted to you when the red ship uses the "X"
    • If they hit you,  it counts as well
  • Secondaries count as well
  • Plane strikes count as well.. All of them
    • Rockets
    • Bombs
    • Torps

That is it.. So if it can be fired and it hits/non-pen/ricos you... It counts as PD...

Ramming do not count.

If you have any further questions... By all means ask...

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 2

[--O--]
Members
931 posts

Pride gave the best explanation i think that can be given.

This mission is why you see so many tanky BB's yoloing.>>>Republic for example can easily tank 2m damage per game so in roughly 12 games mission is complete, but also you have the secondary mission going on and the more the Republic sees the more its guns will shoot at and hit.... IMO Bad for the game to have tank+secondary at the same time.

[FGNE]
Members
960 posts
4,568 battles

@Navalpride33

I have always been under the impression that any ordnance that happens to get close to you regardless of its aiming counts as potential damage.

i.e. torps that we’re shot (“aimed”) at someone else but that kept running towards you also count as potential damage.

Am I wrong?

[REVY]
Members
2,284 posts
12,269 battles
22 minutes ago, CO_Valle said:

I have always been under the impression that any ordnance that happens to get close to you regardless of its aiming counts as potential damage.

i.e. torps that we’re shot (“aimed”) at someone else but that kept running towards you also count as potential damage.

Am I wrong?

I think its only ordnance that falls or passes within a certain distance of your ship that is counted towards potential damage.

Not 100% sure of the distance, but I believe it is 1-2km.

• Cool 2

[WORX]
Members
10,650 posts
18,555 battles
40 minutes ago, CO_Valle said:

@Navalpride33

Am I wrong?

Here is a scenario Which happens all the time... You have two cruisers in close proximity, so close a BB aims missed one but tags the other AND torps are coming... How is that calculated?

IMO, The BB probably aim at one, it misses but hit the other one (non targeted ship)... PD will calculate for both cruisers, but why ?

• Cruiser one was aimed at but it missed (PD awarded depending on its a Rico or Non-pen)
  • Cruiser two got hit/Rico/Non-pen  (remember citadels count as a "hit")

Now for the pretend the "wall of skill" shima torps coming at our 2 ships...How is that calculated...

• If the torps hits both, PD will count...
  • If they're aimed, it counts as PD
  • Blind torps, (definition of blind torps is not using the X button to aim at a particular ship). It doesn't count UNLESS, you go in between the torps
    • Reason being, I am not sure as to the definition of the word "close" or how close you have to be to the torps... In order for it to count as PD.

For shells we know how close we have to be, mainly because by the red ship using the X to aim at you... Those shells will be close (unless he is a lousy shot, then it will fall under the torp rule of "close")

I am starting to think if the shell are way off course, will PD count even if its aimed... When does the definition of "close" ends and far begins?

Do someone have an answer to that question ?

For the meantime basic rules to live by, if you're aimed at, shot at, and it hits/non-pen or rico..  PD is coming your way...

How close/far do you have to be, for PD not to count for torps ???? Not certain...

Hope this helped.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
481 posts
27,249 battles
1 hour ago, CO_Valle said:

@Navalpride33

Am I wrong?

You are correct. You can receive potential damage without getting shot at. For instance, you can gain potential damage if a shell falls near your ship, even if it wasn't aimed at you. The distance required to be counted is not readily available, but the easiest way to accrue a large amount of potential damage is to play bb and kite the weak flank. 

• Cool 1

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
11 minutes ago, eagle_lance said:

You are correct. You can receive potential damage without getting shot at. For instance, you can gain potential damage if a shell falls near your ship, even if it wasn't aimed at you. The distance required to be counted is not readily available, but the easiest way to accrue a large amount of potential damage is to play bb and kite the weak flank. 

It actually accumulates somewhat after you die, too, weirdly enough.

[DENY]
Members
641 posts
9,891 battles
2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

?????

Ok lets get you up to speed.

PD = Potential DMG... How do you get it ??

You get PD by getting aimed (using the X key from the red ship) at and them fired upon. Few things.

• The higher the caliber gun the more PD you get.
  • Torp DMG count as well if they're being targeted to you when the red ship uses the "X"
    • If they hit you,  it counts as well
  • Secondaries count as well
  • Plane strikes count as well.. All of them
    • Rockets
    • Bombs
    • Torps

That is it.. So if it can be fired and it hits/non-pen/ricos you... It counts as PD...

Ramming do not count.

If you have any further questions... By all means ask...

I don't believe you have to be aimed at, all that is required is that shells land "reasonably" close to you.

I've gotten upticks in potential damage when I haven't been spotted, when shells are aimed at another ship nearby. My guess is that ship got potential damage as well.

The circle for potential damage is quite large, I suspect actually bigger than the dispersion area of the firing ship. I've been really far away when shells have landed and still gotten potential damage credit. Only a few times have shells landed "near" me and I haven't gotten potential damage credit, and they were really far away. I'm often shocked at how far away shells can land and you get potential damage credit.

If torpedoes cross the path of multiple ships, they all get potential damage credit.

It's my experience than any ordnance, torpedoes, shells, planes, secondaries, that cross your general area count as potential damage, even those that can't actually hit you. Torpedoes are the only ones where I've personally seen strange behavior where sometimes if they hit an island in front of you it counts as potential damage, and sometimes it does not. I think this has to do with how much of your ship is showing. Torpedoes that pass behind your ship always give maximum potential damage. I've had near a million potential damage in a DD simply dodging  a whole bunch of torps at the start of a match.

[TORCH]
Members
594 posts
14,840 battles

My impression is also that PD accumulates based on ordnance that hits within close proximity, whether it was actually AIMED at you or not.  So when my cruiser is next to a BB and gets hit by something that was targeted at the BB I get potential damage.  Unclear in this case if shells that actually hit the BB also count as potential damage for me (and those that hit me count as PD for the BB?), but I THINK the answer is yes.  Assuming this is in fact the rule then, yes, blind torps, blind shots into smoke, and similar unaimed shots would count.  And when some one shoots at one of two ships that are very close together, BOTH ships would get credited with the potential damage, assuming all shots fell "close" to both of them.

The biggest unknown here seems to be how close something has to come to count.  In old forum posts, I found at least 3 different answers - 300 meters, 500 meters, and "within a 700-meter circle".  Take your pick, unless some one can point me to a definitive source.

[WORX]
Members
10,650 posts
18,555 battles
3 hours ago, Xanthro said:

I don't believe you have to be aimed at, all that is required is that shells land "reasonably" close to you.

For Further explanation.  Refer to post #6

[FML]
Members
3,942 posts
15,503 battles
5 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

I think its only ordnance that falls or passes within a certain distance of your ship that is counted towards potential damage.

Not 100% sure of the distance, but I believe it is 1-2km.

Hmm. I thought it was anything that landed within 700 metres of your ship, aimed or not. 

@Midshipman_Hornblower, getting shot at by battleships is the best way to accumulate PD, as long as you can. Dodging torp walls are great too. Ramming, even if it did count and I think it does not, wouldn’t add very much - a 70k HP battleship would only be one broadside, or even less, worth of PD. Good luck in your efforts though!