You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
mundaneken

AA is Broken

16 comments in this topic

Members
13 posts
6,361 battles

The practice of pitting tier 8 CVs against ships with tier 10 AA is not only completely broken but unrealistic. I sent all three types of planes against a tier 10 DD trying to cap our base, and all three type had their entire squadron shot down before they could get a single shot off. This ridiculous mismatch and inability to shoot most tier 10 ships happens in every game I’ve played in such circumstances. There’s no way a single DD could do that in real life, and it’s utterly frustrating and demoralizing for the CV player.

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
  • Meh 1

[MEIST]
Members
1,648 posts
6,759 battles

Good to hear, at least something is surviving CVs. :Smile_teethhappy: 

Edited by jager_geist
  • Funny 1

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,404 posts
16,552 battles

Why would you send 2 more squads at the same target, which sounds like it was a pan euro dd or a dd with good aa obviously, after the first squad was obliterated? Find other targets. Just because you did something that wasn’t a good idea doesn’t mean it’s broken necessarily 

Edited by ditka_Fatdog

Members
13 posts
6,361 battles
6 minutes ago, ditka_Fatdog said:

Why would you send 2 more squads at the same target, which sounds like it was a pan euro dd or a dd with good aa obviously, after the first squad was obliterated? Find other targets. Just because you did something that wasn’t a good idea doesn’t mean it’s broken necessarily 

Why I sent multiple squadrons into a hopeless battle is irrelevant, but suffice it to say it was down to 2 ships per side and I was the only one within attacking distance — which gave me a good opportunity to test the AA problem. The main issue I’m trying to highlight is tier 8 planes against tier 10 AA is essentially an impossible situation. Maybe you can try it yourself with your presumably l33t skills and give us weak players some pointers.

Members
2,647 posts
16,691 battles

Just curious - did you gt taken out by flak or by the AA DPS?  Sounds to me like you got hit by flak, which will take out anyones planes for the most part.

Once you dodge the flak, the AA for *most* T10 ships is not able to wipe out planes that fast (even if they are T8 planes).  The Halland and Friesland, which I believe are the 2 best AA boats currently, can usually get them all down fast enough, but even they take hits.

Boats that supposedly have great AA - Mino, Salem, Des Moines, Worcester.....you will likely be able to get 1 strike in consistently (again, dodging the flak).  I've seen some T8 CVs get multiple attacks in on these ships, which is just ridiculous IMO.

You have to take into account that you are bottom tier - you are going to have to change your strategy and pick targets.  If the time comes where you have limited choices, you'll have to do the best you can.  No different than other bottom tier boats.

I still think they should make it so that CVs are always top tier (outside of divs of course).  This would eliminate the need to balance them against such a wide variety of ships (T8 would need to be balanced against T6-T8, not T6-T10), and AA could be balanced similarly. 

• Cool 2

[HELLS]
Members
2,967 posts
37,828 battles
1 hour ago, mundaneken said:

There’s no way a single DD could do that in real life,

No, but the USS Laffey came damned close off Okinawa in 1945.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
9,777 posts
16,374 battles
1 hour ago, mundaneken said:

I sent all three types of planes against a tier 10 DD trying to cap our base, and all three type had their entire squadron shot down before they could get a single shot off.

oh boo freaking hoo, God forbid ANYTHING be able to protect itself from the harassment of a CV, especially a DD, oh isnt life just soooooo unfair? as some have said to people that say AA isnt strong, learn to deal with it or stop playing, those are your 2 choices

Edited by tcbaker777
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WOLFG]
Members
16,357 posts
18,555 battles

OP, with it being possible to have a Law and Order SVU episode on what CVs can do to a destroyer, I wouldn't expect a lot of sympathy.

• Funny 1

[O7]
Members
481 posts
33,440 battles
2 hours ago, mundaneken said:

The practice of pitting tier 8 CVs against ships with tier 10 AA is not only completely broken but unrealistic. I sent all three types of planes against a tier 10 DD trying to cap our base, and all three type had their entire squadron shot down before they could get a single shot off. This ridiculous mismatch and inability to shoot most tier 10 ships happens in every game I’ve played in such circumstances. There’s no way a single DD could do that in real life, and it’s utterly frustrating and demoralizing for the CV player.

You shouldn't be able to lose squad after squad and then magic up some more when you run out. Irl cv's aren't plane factories. The only way you would lose an entire squad to a lone dd is if you ate flak, or you went up against a full aa halland. Considering there's only one dd in the game with working aa and cv's cripple all the other dd's...what's wrong with having one ship that has a slight bit of counterplay?

Members
13 posts
6,361 battles
46 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

oh boo freaking hoo, God forbid ANYTHING be able to protect itself from the harassment of a CV, especially a DD, oh isnt life just soooooo unfair? as some have said to people that say AA isnt strong, learn to deal with it or stop playing, those are your 2 choices

Ah, the ever popular false dilemma logical fallacy, refuge of the irascible and poorly educated. Only two choices? How about creating a post in the forum and discussing the matter? People are replying with useful information. For instance, I just played a battle, being super selective about the ships I attacked, and did okay. We won too.

So see, there are more alternatives than the two meager extremes you touted.

Members
13 posts
6,361 battles
1 hour ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Just curious - did you gt taken out by flak or by the AA DPS?  Sounds to me like you got hit by flak, which will take out anyones planes for the most part.

Once you dodge the flak, the AA for *most* T10 ships is not able to wipe out planes that fast (even if they are T8 planes).  The Halland and Friesland, which I believe are the 2 best AA boats currently, can usually get them all down fast enough, but even they take hits.

Boats that supposedly have great AA - Mino, Salem, Des Moines, Worcester.....you will likely be able to get 1 strike in consistently (again, dodging the flak).  I've seen some T8 CVs get multiple attacks in on these ships, which is just ridiculous IMO.

You have to take into account that you are bottom tier - you are going to have to change your strategy and pick targets.  If the time comes where you have limited choices, you'll have to do the best you can.  No different than other bottom tier boats.

I still think they should make it so that CVs are always top tier (outside of divs of course).  This would eliminate the need to balance them against such a wide variety of ships (T8 would need to be balanced against T6-T8, not T6-T10), and AA could be balanced similarly. 

Thanks, I think this is the answer as long as the imbalance continues — be ultra selective in the ships you attack. I was last battle, and it worked.

[BEA5T]
Members
610 posts
23,241 battles

You can always come down to COOP and learn how to deal with FLAK and AAA as it will give you an idea what an DD or any other ship may be configured for air defense ( extra AAA batteries and Max CAPT skills)   

BOTs have extremely accurate AAA 

Members
2,647 posts
16,691 battles

Remember also, one of the strongest aspects of a CV is spotting.  For BBs, their detection range far exceeds their AA range, so if you can just stay about 7km away from them, they will stay spotted and really can't do jack about it.  For cruisers, this can work too but the window is a bit less in most cases.  DDs have such good conceal, you can really not do much unless they keep their AA off but that said, just the threat of planes coming near is sometimes enough to control an area (just fake like you are going to go in, but stay back a bit).

If a CV spent the entire game spotting, that would usually be fine by me :)