Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Shikishima Secondary Build and 6 Ships Sunk!?

9 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

Really wonder what modules they are using since the ship can still hit with main guns while at the same time that secondary build is working well? ( They only showed the captain build.)

Must saw a vid like this once does make Shikishima seem tempting lol.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,174 posts
9,512 battles

With the secondaries range he got, slot 3 would be the secondary mod.

Slot 4 would be the damage con mod based on his fire duration.

From his surface detection, he would have slot 5 be the concealment, and slot 6 would be the main battery mod based upon the reload speed.

Slot 1 could either be main battery survivability or auxiliary survivability with the latter being more likely based on the captain skill being more secondary build heavy.

Slot 2 well damage con is a given.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
2 hours ago, Vader_Sama said:

With the secondaries range he got, slot 3 would be the secondary mod.

Slot 4 would be the damage con mod based on his fire duration.

From his surface detection, he would have slot 5 be the concealment, and slot 6 would be the main battery mod based upon the reload speed.

Slot 1 could either be main battery survivability or auxiliary survivability with the latter being more likely based on the captain skill being more secondary build heavy.

Slot 2 well damage con is a given.

Shocked he could shoot so accurately on the main guns with secondary module instead of Aiming Mod. Then again WG does seem to have  some game mechanics that allow for accurate firing if you only have  3-4 dual gun turrets. Any more turrets or added guns barrels in the turrets then the accuracy would slide.

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,173 posts
9,416 battles
On 6/17/2020 at 7:53 AM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Shocked he could shoot so accurately on the main guns with secondary module instead of Aiming Mod. Then again WG does seem to have  some game mechanics that allow for accurate firing if you only have  3-4 dual gun turrets. Any more turrets or added guns barrels in the turrets then the accuracy would slide.

Thats because IJN dont get any real benefit to the accuracy modules. The accuracy modules only reduce horizontal dispersion not vertical..and IJN has the worst vertical dispersion of any BB. Essentially, equipping those accuracy modules, including the legendary on Yamato for accuracy purposes, only makes the shells fall closer together from bow to stern on a broadside target.. but they will still spread out short/long worse than any other BB line. What is easier to land more hits on with a shell that is arcing up and then falling down upon a target? A broadside ship's entire length or the starboard to port width of the ship? Now you see why IJN is hate-coded to never be the most accurate BBs at long range despite this being the hype and claim WG says they are. 

Also, guess which BB line has the best vertical dispersion stats? Hint: It loves vodka. 

He is aiming his shots higher than normal so he is landing many high damage hits because of it. 

The secondaries sure are something to think about. Its because of them that he did so well. They're so good it was like watching a french secondary build in action. 

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
10 hours ago, Skyfaller said:

Thats because IJN dont get any real benefit to the accuracy modules. The accuracy modules only reduce horizontal dispersion not vertical..and IJN has the worst vertical dispersion of any BB. Essentially, equipping those accuracy modules, including the legendary on Yamato for accuracy purposes, only makes the shells fall closer together from bow to stern on a broadside target.. but they will still spread out short/long worse than any other BB line. What is easier to land more hits on with a shell that is arcing up and then falling down upon a target? A broadside ship's entire length or the starboard to port width of the ship? Now you see why IJN is hate-coded to never be the most accurate BBs at long range despite this being the hype and claim WG says they are. 

Also, guess which BB line has the best vertical dispersion stats? Hint: It loves vodka. 

He is aiming his shots higher than normal so he is landing many high damage hits because of it. 

The secondaries sure are something to think about. Its because of them that he did so well. They're so good it was like watching a french secondary build in action. 

And yet I was able to hit a stationary DD at long range, with multiple shells out of one 1 full salvo of 9 shells. It was in a clan battle and the enemy thought he was safe bow beached behind the island from my team’s radar. Well a nice 20km+ shot ruined his day. Granted it was a larger DD being a Russian DD but still. With Aiming Mod 1 mounted I have never really noticed the IJN having any undue inaccuracies with their guns or maybe I am just used to compensating the aim. Now the North Carolina on the other hand with no access to Aiming Mod, it has some of the worst accuracy I have ever tried using in WoWs.

And yes the secondary guns are definitely something to think about as not only are they great against surface ships, they are also great against aircraft even in their stock form. I have once again become not bad at CVs, but not Unicom which is something I am quick to admit. But I did some attacks on on the Shikishima and some attacks on another ship that I just grazed Shikishima airspace and my aircraft losses were really high, although I did manage to get torpedo hits which were most absorbed by torpedo defense.

So between the secondary guns, the AA, and the fact it’s IJN are favors that certainly make it something to think about. I would be getting the ship myself, except I do not yet have Bourgogne at this point yet and that French BB is ahead on my list. But Shikishima is a definite candidate for a following Steel Ship after Bourgogne. And unlike some paper ships Shikishima plans were drawn up in a serious manner, but we’re mostly destroyed or hidden away before the Allies came through as the Yamato class and beyond we’re essentially secret super weapons.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,010 posts
23,803 battles

Yamato can have long range secondaries also.  Matter of fact, when the game was new, lots of IJN BB players spec'ed for Secondaries on Nagato, Amagi, Yamato.  But that stopped due to 1 reason:  The arrival of the German Battleship Line and GK purpose built for such a brawl.  The arrival of Republique years later made the brawling prospect even more dangerous.

Yamato users at the time felt ASM1 wasn't necessary because the ship was plenty accurate enough.

Do note that if you're doing Secondary Spec Yamato-class, the temptation is there to brawl and make use of the build.  Be wary about the Citadel Cheek when trying to present more secondary guns.  I do not have Shikashima, but she is basically Yamato-class with 510mm guns, so I imagine she inherits quite a bit of the originals' protection scheme, both good and bad.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,628 posts
4,994 battles
10 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Do note that if you're doing Secondary Spec Yamato-class, the temptation is there to brawl and make use of the build.  Be wary about the Citadel Cheek when trying to present more secondary guns.  I do not have Shikashima, but she is basically Yamato-class with 510mm guns, so I imagine she inherits quite a bit of the originals' protection scheme, both good and bad.

Shikishima's protection is 100% identical to Yamato's.

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,173 posts
9,416 battles
28 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

And yet I was able to hit a stationary DD at long range, with multiple shells out of one 1 full salvo of 9 shells. It was in a clan battle and the enemy thought he was safe bow beached behind the island from my team’s radar. Well a nice 20km+ shot ruined his day. Granted it was a larger DD being a Russian DD but still. With Aiming Mod 1 mounted I have never really noticed the IJN having any undue inaccuracies with their guns or maybe I am just used to compensating the aim. Now the North Carolina on the other hand with no access to Aiming Mod, it has some of the worst accuracy I have ever tried using in WoWs.

And yes the secondary guns are definitely something to think about as not only are they great against surface ships, they are also great against aircraft even in their stock form. I have once again become not bad at CVs, but not Unicom which is something I am quick to admit. But I did some attacks on on the Shikishima and some attacks on another ship that I just grazed Shikishima airspace and my aircraft losses were really high, although I did manage to get torpedo hits which were most absorbed by torpedo defense.

So between the secondary guns, the AA, and the fact it’s IJN are favors that certainly make it something to think about. I would be getting the ship myself, except I do not yet have Bourgogne at this point yet and that French BB is ahead on my list. But Shikishima is a definite candidate for a following Steel Ship after Bourgogne. And unlike some paper ships Shikishima plans were drawn up in a serious manner, but we’re mostly destroyed or hidden away before the Allies came through as the Yamato class and beyond we’re essentially secret super weapons.

RNG will pack shells tight in both vertical and horizontal dispersion elements so yeah, it happens. Strangely enough, if you target a destroyer and aim your guns at the BB behind it or in front of it, your shells will always have better grouping than if you targeted the BB. Its almost as if the aiming system built the dispersion ellipse based on the class of ship you targeting... and we know it can be different since if you fire without targeting a ship your dispersion will be much bigger. 

From the wiki: 

Every time a player orders his main caliber guns to fire, the game engine constructs a 2-D ellipse around the point of aim, and does so independently for each salvo fired. A double-click will fire all guns in one salvo with one dispersion ellipse, sequential fire will construct dispersion ellipse for each turret salvo separately. This ellipse has a certain length and width values, which are dependent on the characteristics of the gun.

Additionally, WarGaming has indicated that not acquiring the target with the X button increases dispersion by an unspecified amount.

..so having the target selected also affect the dispersion ellipse is possible. 

I just think the Shiki should not have been a steel ship but a coal ship. Smolensk is insanely more OP than it and Kremlin is certainly far more and its just an xp ship. The new tier 10 premium is freaking insanely OP and I dont remember reading it will be steel. 

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,173 posts
9,416 battles
20 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Yamato can have long range secondaries also.  Matter of fact, when the game was new, lots of IJN BB players spec'ed for Secondaries on Nagato, Amagi, Yamato.  But that stopped due to 1 reason:  The arrival of the German Battleship Line and GK purpose built for such a brawl.  The arrival of Republique years later made the brawling prospect even more dangerous.

Yamato users at the time felt ASM1 wasn't necessary because the ship was plenty accurate enough.

Shiki is a yamato hull but with different main and secondary guns installed. You should not be secondary brawling other BBs with it but it sure can vs most cruisers if you keep an angle to them. 

Earlier the IJN could do secondaries because they were AP not HE and that made them generously effective vs cruisers and BBs but meh vs DDs. Of the entire IJN line only yamato has this clusterF! cheek citadel (which is not historically accurate given the citadel was below the waterline not far above it as its in this IJN-hate-code filled game). 

It would be nice if WG would let us choose if AP or HE on our secondaries much like we have to choose between fighter or spotter plane consumable before launching into a battle. 

Sign in to follow this