You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017

Which ship has the most powerful 2ndaries that it is simply obscene?

60 comments in this topic

[_BDA_]
Members
492 posts
7,958 battles
On 6/17/2020 at 3:06 PM, Soshi_Sone said:

Mikasa........!!!!

I'd like to see more Tier 2 pre-dreadnoughts.  The variety of designs is endless and they can be historically found in just about every theater of operations.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,506 posts
10,570 battles
53 minutes ago, BearlyHereBear said:

Wouldn't IFHE help with that?

Somewhat but not to the same degree it used to.

• 127mm/38 base penetration:  21mm.
    21mm is enough to damage tier VI and VII cruiser extremities (most of them) and the hulls of all destroyers and the superstructures of all ships.
  • 127mm/38 IFHE penetration: 26mm
    26mm adds the extremities of tier VI and VII battleships as well as the extremities of most tier VIII+ cruisers (excluding German and American ships).

Previously she got up to 27mm which ensured all cruiser extremities could be hit, along with the amidships deck and upper hull of most tier VIII and IX cruisers too.  That's no longer the case.

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
On 6/17/2020 at 3:10 AM, Submarine_M1 said:

Idk about battleships, or cruisers, but Manfred von Richthofen secondary guns is insanely good, based on her max range, and concealment build, which is 10.89 km and 11 km, respectively 

For destroyers, I think a certain pan eu or British DD can use it without being seen, iirc...... can’t remember the teir nor name sadly 

who would use a t10 CV as a brawler?

• Sad 1

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
On 6/17/2020 at 1:51 PM, Xanthro said:

Graf Zeppelin is the only ship in the game with truly outstanding secondaries. Under the right circumstances they will literally melt smaller ships and sink larger ones.

The platform, being a CV, is the only thing holding those secondaries back, but the rate of fire and accuracy of the Secondaries on the GK is unparalleled, and that is coupled with German HE pen, so almost everything in the game is penned without IFHE.

I seen this morning a graf heading to A... when i killed him he told gis team i was aining him the entire match (implacable). I think he was trying to use his secondaries... there were a bismark behind him, in mid game he moved behind bismark but i delivered at least 2 11k+ hits on him... i was able to kill cause he went forward in the beggining.

It does not look like those new german CV should test it...maybe they are able to kill DD ate close range, but only that...

On 6/17/2020 at 1:49 PM, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Pound for pound, Graf Zeppelin has the best secondaries in the game. 

If you want to evaluate it yourself, here are the criteria to look for:

• Range - This one is huge.  Having a ship that ticks all of the other boxes but lacks range and the secondaries are effectively useless.
  • Accuracy - There are (generally speaking) two tiers of secondary accuracy.  "large caliber" and "standard".  This gets sub-divided again between tier VII+ and everything else, as the tier VII+ secondaries can take full advantage of the Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament skill.
  • Penetration - This tells you what ships the secondaries can directly damage.
  • Rate of Fire - More dakka.
  • Fire Chance - This combines with rate of fire and accuracy to create a potential for starting blazes.  If you can't deal direct damage to larger vessels because of a lack of penetration then having a respectable fire-per-minute value is at least acceptable.

Surprise, surprise, there are no secondaries out there right now that tick all of these boxes.  Even Graf Zeppelin is a bit short on range.  German secondaries, for example, have good range and penetration but don't have the accuracy.  Massachusetts has the accuracy and range but not the penetration.  Japanese secondaries have accuracy and occasionally penetration (Shikishima, Kii) but lack range.

What about Ignis? isnt it almost a Massa secondary ?

On 6/17/2020 at 1:58 PM, Merc_R_Us said:

I think the Massachusetts in it's tier has the best secondaries. Think is amazing as I was driving the Bismark.

It really hurts... Massa is a beast.

On 6/17/2020 at 3:30 PM, Lert said:

Except that Graf Zeppelin's secondaries are undeniably better, by numbers. And by a good margin too.

1u0l3Np.png

Looks like my never played Gascogne has a function...

[HKC]
Members
757 posts
On 6/17/2020 at 12:26 AM, Taichunger said:

"Which ship has the most powerful 2ndaries that it is simply obscene?"

Katori

I've killed with secondaries before with Katori...

[WPORT]
Members
8,197 posts
13,218 battles
47 minutes ago, Felipe_1982 said:

It does not look like those new german CV should test it...maybe they are able to kill DD ate close range, but only that...

During the 1 vs. 1 Ranked battle sprint event, I was sailing a Graf Zeppelin and was charged by a French DD (sailing towards me 'bow-on' and directly to my starboard side). 
At around 7 km, my secondary batteries opened up.  At around 5 km the French DD went "poof" and sunk.

Admittedly this doesn't happen every game.

Also, since then, I've increased the Captain's skill points, and now they have Advanced Firing Training to go with all the other required CV skills.  My Graf Zeppelin's secondary battery range is now over 9 km.

[WPORT]
Members
8,197 posts
13,218 battles
1 hour ago, Felipe_1982 said:

who would use a t10 CV as a brawler?

I would.  :-)

• Thanks 2

[ARC]
Members
1,072 posts
11,497 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Somewhat but not to the same degree it used to.

• 127mm/38 base penetration:  21mm.
    21mm is enough to damage tier VI and VII cruiser extremities (most of them) and the hulls of all destroyers and the superstructures of all ships.
  • 127mm/38 IFHE penetration: 26mm
    26mm adds the extremities of tier VI and VII battleships as well as the extremities of most tier VIII+ cruisers (excluding German and American ships).

Previously she got up to 27mm which ensured all cruiser extremities could be hit, along with the amidships deck and upper hull of most tier VIII and IX cruisers too.  That's no longer the case.

I'm sure you meant German and American heavy cruisers. All light cruisers except British, Smolensk and Colbert have 25mm extremities.

Just for number and caliber of guns the best should have been Mikasa. But as everyone uses diferent ranges, reloads and even dispersion patterns, right now it is as Mouse posted ij her 1st reply. The one with the best secondaries right now is Graf Zeppelin (just because of penetration and reload), with Massachusetts/Georgia in close pursuit. 

[B2P]
Members
265 posts
7,291 battles
On 6/17/2020 at 11:49 AM, LittleWhiteMouse said:

-snip-

Surprise, surprise, there are no secondaries out there right now that tick all of these boxes.  Even Graf Zeppelin is a bit short on range.  German secondaries, for example, have good range and penetration but don't have the accuracy.  Massachusetts has the accuracy and range but not the penetration.  Japanese secondaries have accuracy and occasionally penetration (Shikishima, Kii) but lack range.

It really seems like WG is very cautious about making secondaries on any ship or class too strong to where it becomes a significant boon. After all, while Agir's first state was lamented, the secondary settings still left it a very amusing ship to play thanks to hilarity. GZ only keeps what it has because premium, I'm sure. 
I can only guess it's because once they reach that level of effectiveness, it becomes Main Battery #2 effectively, and on equal or downtiers the Massachusetts quite easily proves this as the IFHE secondaries totally function as an IFHE atlanta strapped to your side.
If only WG understood exactly how much the playerbase loves it's secondary dakka. That, and functional AA. 
#MakeDFAAGreatAgain

• Funny 1