You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Col_Nasty

WG Remove Karma.. it's just useless.

32 comments in this topic

[GOB]
Members
2,034 posts

It's just silly at this point.  I Love to give positive credits , emoticons and karma but it seems like these ANONYMOUS tools you have here are just ways for kids with horrible lives to lash out for no reason so they feel special.

I run out of upvotes everyday,, , that said I happily own every positive AND negative thing I post here.

Just came out of a random when of course a couple of bigmouth kids started in on everyone within 30 seconds of the start.. COWARDS.. LEMMINGS. CAP THIS etc.   Well the only fun we had was after one of them in their T 10 BB says " Well I will cap this with my BB since you are all cowards..".  Well I was skirting the edge of it because I KNEW there was another DD there (RPF) with me waiting for me to touch it then RADAR from the Cleveland I also saw !  Well he went in and instantly ate 6 torps .. we ALL said LOL...  

Well as you may guess, when the round is over I see.. Your Karma has been reduced by 2 ( he and his buddy for sure ) LOL

No I don't personally care about it but I DO not like that it is being done while hiding behind mommies skirt.  Maybe that is just me.

I personally play with karma.. I watch it go to 10 then go play a few randoms in my Smolly and within 2 games it drops to zero again.

My point is , why do you INSIST on having such a tool that does nothing for or against the actual players but is simply a way for fake tough cyber kiddies to insult people who play your game with no responsibility?? 

Serious question.  There is something very strange as to why it even exists.  This is the ONLY place I have seen that does this.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 3

[TF16B]
Modder
646 posts
798 battles

But... how will people down vote CV players just for playing CV? :Smile_trollface:

Kidding aside, while we may see some effects of up or down votes in games, I’m sure there’s a lot going on in the background that we don’t see.

• Funny 2

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,809 posts
1,478 battles

There is a karma system ?

• Meh 1

Members
111 posts
1,382 battles

If you enjoy giving out compliments for the play you like seeing can't you just ignore the negative karma from "kids with horrible lives to lash out for no reason so they feel special", arguing in a circle here.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 2

[DENY]
Members
641 posts
9,891 battles

If it's literally useless, why bother removing it?

Yes, people give out negative points to be spiteful, so what.

• Meh 1

[O40C]
[O40C]
Beta Testers
880 posts
5,905 battles

It gives players a sense of satisfaction anytime someone does something they dont like.  Its generally used as a form of tit for tat pettiness. I think WG knows this and it kinda acts as a relief valve for the easily angered. They designed and keep it in the game intentionally. I wonder if the rage would be even higher without it...i'm betting so. 

• Cool 3
  • Meh 2

[R-SKY]
Members
291 posts
15,997 battles

Without the karma system i would receive a lot more messages after battle about how bad I am, how i should uninstall the game and how horrible the world is because I’m in it.

It saves other people a lot of energy when it comes to telling me about myself.  Also it saves me time not having to troll back at them.

i like it.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 3
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Members
463 posts
4,350 battles

its basicaly a placebo for people to vent their feelings.

if it was up to me i would change it to an automated system, end in the top 3 of your team and get +1 karma, end in the botton 3 and get -1 karma 

2,809 posts
1,478 battles

So the system is something that will block out negative karma players, probably came from WOT. 

Members
291 posts
5 battles

Karma is most definitely not useless, it has a very important job that it is quite effective at - it allows players who are upset at something that has happened in the game to relieve their frustration to some degree in an immediate way.  It's basically a salt reduction system, and is a key reason why there is less toxicity in this game than others.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

2,809 posts
1,478 battles

This game has PvE so less toxicity anyway. 

[WOLFC]
Members
1,607 posts
9,411 battles
57 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Well he went in and instantly ate 6 torps .. we ALL said LOL...  

And this is likely why you got reported. Seems like you said something they didn’t like, which is what you are complaining about them doing, right?

I rarely lose karma, in large part because I tend to keep my mouth shut and limit myself to constructive comments and criticism.

• Cool 1

Members
291 posts
5 battles
4 minutes ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

its a nice frustration relief to be able to report both cv at the start of a game and take karma away, better then having someone rage in chat about them.

Yup, there can't be a CV captain in the game with a karma level above zero!  :Smile_veryhappy:

I sail DD's about the same amount as I sail CV's, but I do find the consistent negative karma quite entertaining.  I had about 180 karma when the CV rework happened, and it took about four months for that to hit zero, only playing CV's half the time.  I remember I lost about 120 in one ranked season, where I think I played DD's up to rank 10, then CV's to rank 1, and in the 70 or so battles I played from 10 to 1 I lost the last 120 of my karma.  Apparently sniping the enemy CV at the start of every battle proved as unpopular to my own team as it did the enemy team, despite it being incredibly effective at winning the battle.  I still chuckle to think of it now tbh.  Ranked makes for a lot of salt of course, so we can all expect extra reports as people try to vent that.

[SLDS]
Members
877 posts
6,656 battles

Karma may not have any value other than what we attach to it.  I personally have used it not only to reward people I think played well, but I always try to assign a karma point to the player (since I play Coop, it's always the Green team) who finished in the top 4 of the team but didn't get a kill.  The reason I do that is because I know how annoying it is to work over a ship and someone else picks off the last few hundred HP.  Repeat that for an entire battle, and it leaves one a bit ... miffed.  I calculated that finishing in the top 4 meant you'd put in a serious contribution and if you didn't get a kill, you deserved something.  While karma doesn't bring any material reward with it (and we all know that's what most people really want in this game), but at least you can realize that someone on your team appreciates the job you did.

• Cool 1

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,147 posts
16,812 battles

The karma system is working as intended. It gives players a chance to complain that doesn't involve, or tie up, customer service people with superfluous nonsense. The last time I checked I had 300+ karma because I don't bad mouth people and give out plenty of compliments. I do agree that it goes up and down on occasion at the whims of the player base but overall if you don't believe it holds any value, then don't ascribe any to it. In other words ignore karma and it will ignore you; can't get any lower then zero. 

Slainte. 

• Thanks 1

[D33P6]
Members
563 posts
1 hour ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

its a nice frustration relief to be able to report both cv at the start of a game and take karma away

Am I understanding this correctly?

You would report a player for just playing a CV?

There is a Dockyard mission in order to complete requires to play a CV.  Some players are probably only playing the class to accomplish it.

Edited by HeadSplit120

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,238 posts
12,577 battles

It's useless but you pay so much attention to it to be frustrated?

• Haha 1

[TRU]
Members
596 posts
18,046 battles
1 hour ago, Moggytwo said:

Yup, there can't be a CV captain in the game with a karma level above zero!  :Smile_veryhappy:

I sail DD's about the same amount as I sail CV's, but I do find the consistent negative karma quite entertaining.  I had about 180 karma when the CV rework happened, and it took about four months for that to hit zero, only playing CV's half the time.  

It seems I get complimented the most as a CV and a DD.  Spotting, dropping fighters, and finishing off a wounded and running target seems to help.  Communicating is the biggest thing.  For those players not eating crayons, they respond and usually benefit from smoke or spotting.    

Awaiting karma trophy.  But I will settle for a steel ship.  

• Funny 1

[WOLF4]
Members
382 posts
17,045 battles

maybe there should be more karma buttons in the world, less violence.......actually it helps the salty players makes them feel better and on the other hand people get to compliment each other which is nice. no pain no gain 

I gave out 3 positives today and usually I forget to use the karma.

[WOLF4]
Members
382 posts
17,045 battles
4 minutes ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

How do u check ur karma?  Im almost afraid to check mine... lol

in game click your name in the upper left corner and there will be a number and it only goes to zero, no negative numbers.. End of match you can goto team screen right click name menu will appear, give compliment, afk, etc etc