Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
wolfkind252

Subs Vs Destroyers

16 comments in this topic

[NEMO]
Members
713 posts
2,126 battles

ok stupid question I just saw in game, why is it when I;m in a destroyer and I fire torpedoes they travel on the surface, when I'm in a sub unless I get two pings they go yo, BUT a destroyer that fores torpedoes at e me when I'm 50 M down come down to hit me?

[WORX]
Members
10,682 posts
18,567 battles
1 minute ago, wolfkind252 said:

ok stupid question I just saw in game, why is it when I;m in a destroyer and I fire torpedoes they travel on the surface, when I'm in a sub unless I get two pings they go yo, BUT a destroyer that fores torpedoes at e me when I'm 50 M down come down to hit me?

Two Words..

"Depth" Charges...

[Y0L0]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,743 posts
5,511 battles
12 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Two Words..

"Depth" Charges...

What he said.

[NEMO]
Members
713 posts
2,126 battles

it was torpedoes that came down and sank me

the only ship on top of me was a bot on my side

[WPORT]
Members
5,502 posts
10,525 battles
45 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Two Words..

"Depth" Charges...

+1

[WPORT]
Members
5,502 posts
10,525 battles

No "red team" submarines remained in the game?

[WORX]
Members
10,682 posts
18,567 battles
3 minutes ago, wolfkind252 said:

it was torpedoes that came down and sank me

the only ship on top of me was a bot on my side

The only torps to sink to your lvl are Sub torps.

If it came from the DD, its depth charges...

Since we dont have the detailed report... I am thinking its a sub torp.

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

It was either depth charges or torpedoes from another sub, or both that could have credited the destroyer with a kill when the bulk of the damage had been done by a sub just a split second before the depth charge hit.

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,792 posts
7,201 battles

What may have happened was an enemy sub was just behind the DD, so you saw the torpedoes coming from the same direction, but they were not from the DD.  If there were two or four of them in pairs, then they came from a sub.

[NEMO]
Members
713 posts
2,126 battles
23 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

No "red team" submarines remained in the game?

No 

23 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

The only torps to sink to your lvl are Sub torps.

If it came from the DD, its depth charges...

Since we dont have the detailed report... I am thinking its a sub torp.

All three enemy subs were sunk already and no torpedoes from them came near me,the only ship on the red team was a single destroyer, unless the little green and red ship indicator at the top of the screen is wrong

[WORX]
Members
10,682 posts
18,567 battles
35 minutes ago, wolfkind252 said:

All three enemy subs were sunk already and no torpedoes from them came near me,the only ship on the red team was a single destroyer, unless the little green and red ship indicator at the top of the screen is wrong

Unfortunately my dear Watson,

Due to not having the "detailed report" as evident of the match in front us... Its going to be hard to put the blame on Dr. Jekyll (Subs) OR Mr. Hyde (DD torps).

All we have to go by is a witness... Since we sleuths go by evidence,  eyewitness accounts are not as detailed... This case is close due to not enough evidence to convict without a shadow of doubt.

For the next time you have a situation you do no understand or cannot explain, (or to solve the "who done it? question)... Prt screen the detail report. For more Info with in the detailed report, hover your mouse over a category.

IF we need a visual of the crime in question, you can also upload the replay located in the WOWS root folder under "Replay" folder...

Without any further evidence from you as to what happen, there is really nothing more to logically explain without going into conspiracies.

GL.

Edited by Navalpride33

[WPORT]
Members
5,502 posts
10,525 battles
3 hours ago, wolfkind252 said:

No 

Thanks for answering my question.  :-)

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,792 posts
7,201 battles
13 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Unfortunately my dear Watson,

Due to not having the "detailed report" as evident of the match in front us... Its going to be hard to put the blame on Dr. Jekyll (Subs) OR Mr. Hyde (DD torps).

All we have to go by is a witness... Since we sleuths go by evidence,  eyewitness accounts are not as detailed... This case is close due to not enough evidence to convict without a shadow of doubt.

For the next time you have a situation you do no understand or cannot explain, (or to solve the "who done it? question)... Prt screen the detail report. For more Info with in the detailed report, hover your mouse over a category.

IF we need a visual of the crime in question, you can also upload the replay located in the WOWS root folder under "Replay" folder...

Without any further evidence from you as to what happen, there is really nothing more to logically explain without going into conspiracies.

GL.

Quite so.  

Without any enemy subs left, there are only three things I can postulate as possible explanation, and these are long shots.

First and most probable is that the DD dropped Depth Charges, which have a blast radius, and the sub was within the blast radius even if the DD was not directly over them.  We'd need to know positions and ranges of the units in question..

Second would be a delayed strike from an enemy sub that was killed but still got off its torps after having achieved double lock.

Third would be, if friendly sub torpedoes have the capability to damage friendly subs, a case of friendly fire (or trolling) by a teammate.

The only other two possibilities would be if some fact the OP believes is true (all enemy subs being killed, the depth of the sub, ect) is not, or some glitch I've never heard about (or possibly if the code for the guided torpedo can be somehow hacked into DD torpedoes by some unscrupulous modders).  However, these would be extreme cases that would require a lot that is the underlying basis of our guesses to be wrong.

Without a replay, we're stuck making best-guesses based on a sole witness that hasn't given a full accounting of the situation, so anything we come up with is going to have a lot of room for doubt. 

[NEMO]
Members
713 posts
2,126 battles

Like I said before it was TORPEDOES I watched them, unless depth charges more sideways and leave a torpedo  trail behind them and set off your torpedo warning

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,792 posts
7,201 battles
15 hours ago, wolfkind252 said:

Like I said before it was TORPEDOES I watched them, unless depth charges more sideways and leave a torpedo  trail behind them and set off your torpedo warning

Then the only explanation that works is that you were hit by torpedoes from an enemy sub that locked onto you and launched before it was killed, and the torpedoes arrived after you thought you were in the clear, or friendly fire from a teammate (if your own subs can damage you with their torps).

In essence, you experienced The Bedford Incident or Crimson Tide.

DD torps not only don't change depth, they -can't-. The ability to home in requires not only the use of homing torps (which no DD has), but the ability of the launching unit to emit pings onto the target to guide them in (which no DD can do). This is even more true for torpedo bombers.

Without a replay, and assuming the description of the situation is accurate, this is the best we can do.

Edited by Jakob_Knight

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,809 posts
1,478 battles
On 6/17/2020 at 6:14 AM, wolfkind252 said:

Hex

Sign in to follow this