You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Robert_S_

Questions about ship purchase

8 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
55 battles

Ok folks, I am brand new to this game and software. I've messed with train simulator for 13 years but have decided to try warships. I am thinking about my very first purchase of an American cruiser and since looking over the prices for most items, I see they want an arm and a leg. If I buy this vessel, do I get to KEEP it? ( forgive the stupid question ) but again, I'm new and would hate to fork out that much money and loose a ship. ANY other advantages you buying ships rather than just playing the free ones?

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
10,287 posts
17,483 battles
17 minutes ago, Robert_S_ said:

Ok folks, I am brand new to this game and software. I've messed with train simulator for 13 years but have decided to try warships. I am thinking about my very first purchase of an American cruiser and since looking over the prices for most items, I see they want an arm and a leg. If I buy this vessel, do I get to KEEP it? ( forgive the stupid question ) but again, I'm new and would hate to fork out that much money and loose a ship. ANY other advantages you buying ships rather than just playing the free ones?

Yes you keep it as long as the game exists or unless you break the rules and get your account deleted. Premium ships make more credits, XP, EXP, and Free XP and you can put captains of the same nation on them for free to train them and get more Captains points for captains perks. You can easily spend a lot of cash on this game, tis true.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
270 posts
5,091 battles

Hi, welcome to ships!

To answer your question, yes you keep a ship if you buy it. You are limited to taking it into one battle at a time as with any other ship. For example, if you start a match in a ship but die quickly, you won't be able to use the ship again until after the battle you died in has completed.

Premium ships essentially provide:

• Better economics - you are more likely to earn more credits and xp playing them as they have modifiers
  • Captain training - each ship you play needs a specialized captain with their own skills. Premium ships allow you to train up same-nation commanders that you can later transfer to same-nation ships.
  • Unique gameplay - although most premium ships operate like the tech tree they are based on, some premium ships tend to have a different armament/playstyle indicative of other nations or classes. An example would be the premium Scharnhorst vs the tech-tree Gneisenau. Both are very similar, however Scharnhorst has lower-caliber guns, relegating her playstyle moreso towards fighting cruisers than Gneisenau, which has bigger guns.

Aside from the above, they may also tend to be historical such as the HMS Hood or USS Wichita that you couldn't normally buy with in-game credits. Some people just buy to have collector ships, which is okay too.

There are plenty of resources on premium ships, so I encourage you check out some YouTube videos or wiki pages.

Take it friends arm yourselves with knowledge - Spongebob - quickmeme

One word of caution though: Games tend to get more competitive (and expensive) the higher tier you are. I would recommend starting with a low-tier premium such as a tier 5 ship or lower considering you are just starting out. That way, you will be able to better learn the various mechanics of the game and what classes suit you.

Good luck out there!

Members
2,118 posts
6,338 battles

Get a few hundred games under your belt before buying ship you will not know what to do with. This game has a very high learning curve.....

• Cool 1

Members
26 posts
3,455 battles

I would play this game for at least a month or two before buying a premium. You don’t wanna buy something and not know how to use it properly, then get frustrated and leave the game. 

try playing all the different classes of ships and seeing which class and nation you like best and go from there.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,427 posts
14,165 battles

You also don't want to buy a ship that is a lot higher tier than what you have experience with and with only six games you need more seasoning.

[WOLF7]
Members
219 posts

If you are just starting out and looking to obtain a premium American cruiser, might I suggest Charleston? I think you'd enjoy it. I love mine.

Members
3 posts
55 battles

Thanks guys for all your input. The cruiser I'm looking at is the USS Boise. I would say a decent size ship and a GOOD price! The only thing I haven't had any practice at is the use of Torpedoes.

• Cool 1