You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sweetsie

Question concerning turning AA on and off.

16 comments in this topic

Members
6,621 posts
20,628 battles

1st, I know you can prioritize a side for more AA, what happens when you turn your AA off? Does that side stay prioritized for when you turn it back on? Or when you pop Def fire? Or does it reset? There is nothing on the ship that shows that it is selected that I see.

Members
6,858 posts
15,336 battles
3 minutes ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

1st, I know you can prioritize a side for more AA, what happens when you turn your AA off? Does that side stay prioritized for when you turn it back on? Or when you pop Def fire? Or does it reset? There is nothing on the ship that shows that it is selected that I see.

It stays active as far as I remember. You can see the activity and cool down in the bottom LH corner. It counts down whether aa is on or off. 

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts
7 minutes ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

When you turn AA off, that side stays prioritized and the timer keeps running.

If you pop DFAA then turn AA off, DFAA immediately goes on cooldown.

Does this answer your questions?

[KWF]
Members
4,370 posts
6,405 battles

You can "force" the cooldown on Def AA by turning off your AA. It can be handy if you are expecting an attack soon.

[SNGNS]
Members
487 posts
6,026 battles

ok so if i remember correctly, if you turn of your aa while you have one side prioritized then that side stays prioritized for the duration of the prioritization (blagh, bad choice of words but the best i can come up with right now) if you turn of your aa while defensive aa is active it stops that and shortens the cool down of def aa.

Members
6,621 posts
20,628 battles

There are two countdowns, one is green the other orange, the orange appears to start as soon as the green is done. On the ship I am showing you, the Oland, each countdown is 10 seconds, after the second countdown I get a message that my priority is selected.

From this picture can you tell me which side I have selected?

The issue I am having is threefold

1) I can't see which side is selected when they have been selected.

2) If I reselect the same side that was selected I still get the same countdowns, does that negate my first selection even though I am reselecting them?

3) I can't switch sides without turning my AA on, as a DD that could be life and death. Should I not be able to switch sides with or without AA on?

VOrNVLu.png

[SNGNS]
Members
487 posts
6,026 battles
4 minutes ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

There are two countdowns, one is green the other orange, the orange appears to start as soon as the green is done. On the ship I am showing you, the Oland, each countdown is 10 seconds, after the second countdown I get a message that my priority is selected.

2) If I reselect the same side that was selected I still get the same countdowns, does that negate my first selection even though I am reselecting them?

3) I can't switch sides without turning my AA on, as a DD that could be life and death. Should I not be able to switch sides with or without AA on?

VOrNVLu.png

priority aa is no longer a permanent choice, its now a burst of about like 5 to 9 seconds and then a cool down.

Members
6,621 posts
20,628 battles
6 minutes ago, TobTorp said:

priority aa is no longer a permanent choice, its now a burst of about like 5 to 9 seconds and then a cool down.

SO after two countdowns, I get a message saying my sector is selected and then its a guess on how long? Or is the second countdown the burst you mention? But why get a message that it is selected if it's over?

[SNGNS]
Members
487 posts
6,026 battles
2 minutes ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

SO after two countdowns, I get a message saying my sector is selected and then its a guess on how long? Or is the second countdown the burst you mention? But why get a message that it is selected if it's over?

it should show in the bottom right, in the assimov indicator (the spinning ship symbol, where you can see your ships and in what direction your guns are pointed) green means its active, orange means its on cooldown, nothing (like the picture you have there) means its ready for use.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,443 posts
6,495 battles

AA priority sector is temporary boost to AA on the side selected.   It is only active from the time you select it until the timer is up on the function and then has a short cool down.. after which AA is returned to normal function and priority sector is available for use again.    So it is only active when used....  then all AA is as normal until selected again..     If your AA is turned off...you can activate it with the priority sector function. (overrides the P key and re-actives the AA in priority sector mode., for its duration, then returning to normal AA function afterward..   Hope this makes sense?        

Members
6,858 posts
15,336 battles
39 minutes ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

VOrNVLu.png

It displays your priority sector on the compass in the bottom LH corner. In this instance it is not activated, nor on cool down. 

When you activate it, it turns on your aa if it is off. There is no work around. However priority sector only works for 10 seconds, so even if you could activate it while your aa is off, it would be to your disadvantage to activate it as it would be wasting that 10 seconds of reinforcement time. 

However all of that goes out the window if using Massive AA fire. It negates that reinforcement time with one large burst of damage based on the squadron hp, not on your aa damage output. 

One other thing to keep in mind. If you have Def aa and are going to use it, activate it before selecting a priority sector as this will give a higher initial burst of damage when activated. And never trigger it unless the planes are within range of your aa, otherwise the initial burst of 5% damage is wasted. 

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 1

Members
6,621 posts
20,628 battles
23 minutes ago, TobTorp said:

it should show in the bottom right, in the assimov indicator (the spinning ship symbol, where you can see your ships and in what direction your guns are pointed) green means its active, orange means its on cooldown, nothing (like the picture you have there) means its ready for use.

17 minutes ago, iRA6E said:

AA priority sector is temporary boost to AA on the side selected.   It is only active from the time you select it until the timer is up on the function and then has a short cool down.. after which AA is returned to normal function and priority sector is available for use again.    So it is only active when used....  then all AA is as normal until selected again..     If your AA is turned off...you can activate it with the priority sector function. (overrides the P key and re-actives the AA in priority sector mode., for its duration, then returning to normal AA function afterward..   Hope this makes sense?        

all this time I thought all my little AA sailors were manning their guns where I told them to set up and be ready.

[SNGNS]
Members
487 posts
6,026 battles
2 minutes ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

all this time I thought all my little AA sailors were manning their guns where I told them to set up and be ready.

yeah, they changed that quite a while back but i can see why someone wouldn't know if they don't read all patch notes.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,443 posts
6,495 battles
39 minutes ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

Technically they are as long as you don't have them turned off.    The priority sector just changes the manner in which the damage from your AA is dealt out.  If I'm correct It provides a one time damage boost up front in trade for less in offside aura.    

From the Wiki;

Activating a priority sector has two effects: First, an amount of damage is immediately applied to all enemy squadrons within the ship's air defense aura. Second, the continuous damage from the auras gradually increases on the priority side and correspondingly decreases on the other side.[11] Sector reinforcement has no effect on flak bursts.

Sector Reinforcement and other AA boosts such as the Defensive AA Fire consumable stack additively for continuous damage. E.g. An aura with base 100 HP/sec might increase to 135 with Sector Reinforcement (+35%) and to 185 with simultaneous Defensive AA Fire (+50%). (Actual effects depend on the ship.)

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Anti-Aircraft_Fire#Sector_Reinforcement