Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
sasquatch_research

Standardize Consumable selections across ship lines

13 comments in this topic

[THREE]
Members
2,402 posts
13,227 battles

Hey

Can wargaming standardize the key bind selection for consumables across ship nations.  So that the key bind for heals are the same for all nations, hydro is always the same, DFAA would be the same and if a nation doesn't have that function, then that key isn't used.  That way for when people have nearly all ship lines, it makes it easier to transition from one nation to another regularly.   Having a standard key bind for consumables might make some gameplay easier and less likely to inadvertently pop a consumable when it wasn't intended.  Just a thought.

Pete 

Edited by sasquatch_research
  • Cool 2
  • Sad 1

Members
3,761 posts
23,385 battles

In order to do that they'd have to use many other letters on the keyboard because some of the standard consumables for certain classes also appear as secondary consumables for other classes.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,218 posts
21,461 battles
1 hour ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

In order to do that they'd have to use many other letters on the keyboard because some of the standard consumables for certain classes also appear as secondary consumables for other classes.

I don't see the problem with that.  The idea would be to standardize the keys.  Whether it is standard or secondary it would still be the only key for that consumable.

Really wish they would implement that.  

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,570 posts
11,192 battles
3 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

Can wargaming standardize the key bind selection for consumables across ship nations.  So that the key bind for heals are the same for all nations, hydro is always the same, DFAA would be the same and if a nation doesn't have that function, then that key isnt used.  That way for when people have nearly all ship lines, it makes it easier to transition from one nation to another regularly.   Having a standard key bind for consumables might make some gameplay easier and less likely to inadvertently pop a consumable when it was intended.  Just a thought.

Pete 

I like this idea .

17 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

I don't see the problem with that.  The idea would be to standardize the keys.  Whether it is standard or secondary it would still be the only key for that consumable.

Really wish they would implement that.  

I agree with this too it shouldn't be that hard .

[PVE]
Members
11,863 posts
24,570 battles
3 hours ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

And that is a problem how?

I have been wanting WG to standardize the keys every since I started playing the game. It is foolish lazy that the keys for the same one vary from ship to ship.

Members
877 posts
6,656 battles
9 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

Can wargaming standardize the key bind selection for consumables across ship nations.  So that the key bind for heals are the same for all nations, hydro is always the same, DFAA would be the same and if a nation doesn't have that function, then that key isn't used.  That way for when people have nearly all ship lines, it makes it easier to transition from one nation to another regularly.   Having a standard key bind for consumables might make some gameplay easier and less likely to inadvertently pop a consumable when it wasn't intended.  Just a thought.

Pete 

They ARE standardized across each nation's ships.  It's just across different nations they differ.

• Meh 1

Members
877 posts
6,656 battles
5 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

And that is a problem how?

I have been wanting WG to standardize the keys every since I started playing the game. It is foolish lazy that the keys for the same one vary from ship to ship.

The problem however with binding a specific key to a specific consumable means that we'd ultimately be limited in the number of types of consumables possible with no chance for expansion.

• Meh 1

[THREE]
Members
2,402 posts
13,227 battles
13 hours ago, JAKeller said:

They ARE standardized across each nation's ships.  It's just across different nations they differ.

Hey

Im aware of that, but across all nation types, so that a a heal is the same key for all nations, etc.  same for say DFAA and so on.

Pete

Members
877 posts
6,656 battles
6 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

Im aware of that, but across all nation types, so that a a heal is the same key for all nations, etc.  same for say DFAA and so on.

Pete

As I'd tried to say, this could cause a problem with expansion.

Right now we have consumables for:

1. Repair
  2. Heal
  3. Smoke
  4. Hydroacoustics
  5. DFAA
  6. Gun Reloader Booster
  7. Torpedo Reloader Booster
  8. Radar
  9. Floater Plane (Spotter/Fighter)

And I'm sure I've missed something.  At present, there are the R, T, Y, U, and I keys available for consumables.  (5)  Many of the ships within a given nation actually use more than 1 type.  (e.g. Some Fr DDs use the Gun Reloader Booster and others the Torp Reloader Booster)  That's 9 different consumables types that would be required to fit into just 5 key assuming a 1:1 mapping, which is what I'm understanding WG is supposed to be doing.  That's patently impossible even at present, assuming they don't try to add any others in the future.  If you want you could map them yourself, but you'd be creating an even bigger mess than it's being said currently exists.

So, it's easy to say standardize each consumable type around a specific key, but I'm not seeing the keyboard real estate for it.  Use the shift-key one says?  Okay, now we have the added complication of remembering whether a given consumable uses the shift-key.

What I do is just glance at the consumable list after I spawn in-game, and check which keys go with which.  It's not really a big deal.

[_BDA_]
Members
314 posts
4,900 battles
22 minutes ago, JAKeller said:

As I'd tried to say, this could cause a problem with expansion.

Right now we have consumables for:

1. Repair
  2. Heal
  3. Smoke
  4. Hydroacoustics
  5. DFAA
  6. Gun Reloader Booster
  7. Torpedo Reloader Booster
  8. Radar
  9. Floater Plane (Spotter/Fighter)

And I'm sure I've missed something.  At present, there are the R, T, Y, U, and I keys available for consumables.  (5)  Many of the ships within a given nation actually use more than 1 type.  (e.g. Some Fr DDs use the Gun Reloader Booster and others the Torp Reloader Booster)  That's 9 different consumables types that would be required to fit into just 5 key assuming a 1:1 mapping, which is what I'm understanding WG is supposed to be doing.  That's patently impossible even at present, assuming they don't try to add any others in the future.  If you want you could map them yourself, but you'd be creating an even bigger mess than it's being said currently exists.

So, it's easy to say standardize each consumable type around a specific key, but I'm not seeing the keyboard real estate for it.  Use the shift-key one says?  Okay, now we have the added complication of remembering whether a given consumable uses the shift-key.

What I do is just glance at the consumable list after I spawn in-game, and check which keys go with which.  It's not really a big deal.

I'm just tired of punching up Heal and launching fighters instead.  At least standardize the universal consumables. 

• Cool 1

Members
877 posts
6,656 battles
On 6/17/2020 at 5:56 PM, michael_zahnle said:

I'm just tired of punching up Heal and launching fighters instead.  At least standardize the universal consumables. 

I can agree to an extent.  It'd be easy to go overboard on what's universal.  That's in part why I suspect that only R is used presently.

[WPORT]
Members
5,535 posts
10,536 battles
On 6/16/2020 at 12:24 PM, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

Pete 

While it might seem useful to have the same keyboard key do the same thing every time....

Some people have posted that they used their number-pad on the keyboard to arrange those keys to do exactly what you want to accomplish.

Otherwise, one might have to spend a few precious moments looking down at the bottom of their screen to know what keys are bound to which consumables.

Sign in to follow this