Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
eviltane

I am in love with T9 and T10 European DDs.

27 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
2,020 posts
6,200 battles

I just need to declare  my love for them here. As A DD Main who has found nothing but reasons to complain about what WG has been doing since the rework (I think anyone who has my posts knows what my thoughts are on that) .

I have every single T10 DD but Khab (Grozi is a superior gunboat).  But I am a Torp boat driver at heart.   

The European DDs  are the BOMB.   

- Oh so so TIGHT torpedo dispersion  even for the 5 torp launcher , really better dispersion then any DD out there. ( Shima feels soo sloppy in comparison) 

- Faaast Torps. 

- Amazing reload time for a 5 torp launcher. 

- Great AA. OR atleast the Flak is good enough to keep the CV potatoes at bay (while good CV drivers still nail me). 

- Decent Concealment

- Decent guns. ( Even with the T9 i have had gun battles with every single T10 DD out there and WON. You just need to make sure the engagement is on YOUR terms.) 

- Great heal ( HUGE one to make this ship work)

- No Smoke ( Smoke is a crutch people. Good torpedo DDs should not smoke up ever it gives away where torpedoes will be coming from and takes away spotting from your team.) 

Anyway , Yes  I love a ship type in this game again and its European DDs. 

Edited by eviltane
  • Cool 12
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,178 posts
14,340 battles
13 minutes ago, eviltane said:

I just need to decry my love for them here.

Just so you know, to decry is to denounce or repudiate. https://www.dictionary.com/browse/decry 

You're looking for a different word.

More on topic, I'm currently at the Skane with the upgraded torpedoes and looking forward to the Oland. The Swedes were initially disappointing for me because they just don't seem to be a co-op player's ship - the bots militate against all of the line's strengths and amplify all its weaknesses - but once I accepted that I would only ever find joy with them in Randoms, all was well.  The long-range speedy torps make it possible for you to be a pain in the donkey to an enemy push, and with range and speed like this, I can only imagine the screams of outrage that would ensue if they hit as hard as (say) Japanese torps.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
4,472 posts
3,825 battles

+1 for being positive and keep objectivity. After all the class is tailor made for the new design meta.

Keep the fun up mate :cap_like:

• Cool 1

Members
145 posts
7,812 battles

Hello Eviltane, How much damage can one expect from the torps? And is it worth the grind through the lower tier EU DDs to get the Tier 9 and 10 ships? 

[SALVO]
Members
2,020 posts
6,200 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Just so you know, to decry is to denounce or repudiate. https://www.dictionary.com/browse/decry 

You're looking for a different word.

Hah noted. Changed it to declare.  

3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The Swedes were initially disappointing for me because they just don't seem to be a co-op player's ship - the bots militate against all of the line's strengths and amplify all its weaknesses - but once I accepted that I would only ever find joy with them in Randoms, all was well. 

Ohh 100%  I think the swedes would be absolutely terrible in coop.

3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The long-range speedy torps make it possible for you to be a pain in the donkey to an enemy push, and with range and speed like this, I can only imagine the screams of outrage that would ensue if they hit as hard as (say) Japanese torps.

:D Yeah they would be completely OP if they hit as hard as the Japanese. I like that for this torpedo WG chose to highlight other aspects such as speed and the tightness of the torpedo spread rather then damage. 

[SALVO]
Members
2,020 posts
6,200 battles
4 minutes ago, Iron_Clad_5000 said:

Hello Eviltane, How much damage can one expect from the torps? And is it worth the grind through the lower tier EU DDs to get the Tier 9 and 10 ships? 

A single torpedo really doesn't do much , its a good thing IMO because I think it gave WG the freedom to go balls out giving good other stats like  the speed of the torpedoes , reload, spread size etc.    Really though  3/4 of my dmg is still coming from torps. 

Personally If you like working on spotting and area denial and you  want to work on throwing out predictive torps.   Then absolutely 100% grind up to the T9 and T10 thats where the line is at its strongest.   

Edited by eviltane

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,181 posts
19,031 battles
22 minutes ago, Iron_Clad_5000 said:

Around 6 to 8 k per hit, depending on target. But don't let the small numbers fool you into thinking these are bad torpedo bote, these torps are a lot easier to land hits with.

Members
145 posts
7,812 battles
13 minutes ago, Lert said:

Around 6 to 8 k per hit, depending on target. But don't let the small numbers fool you into thinking these are bad torpedo bote, these torps are a lot easier to land hits with.

Thanks for the Info. I took the line as far as Tier 7, but that ship was such a dog I decided to take some time away from the WoW for awhile. I will see if I can push on through to the better EU DDs.  

[RLGN]
Members
14,313 posts
25,257 battles
2 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

After all the class is tailor made for the new design meta.

Hooray?

2 hours ago, eviltane said:

Ohh 100%  I think the swedes would be absolutely terrible in coop.

Having a blast with Friesland in Co-op...

...but like @Lert, it’s Dutch, and not a FlatPack.

(Have Gryf, and Blyskawica, and Friesland, and the later two are fine for NB. I need anything else; why?)

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
313 posts
10,692 battles
3 hours ago, eviltane said:

I just need to declare  my love for them here. As A DD Main who has found nothing but reasons to complain about what WG has been doing since the rework (I think anyone who has my posts knows what my thoughts are on that) .

I have every single T10 DD but Khab (Grozi is a superior gunboat).  But I am a Torp boat driver at heart.   

The European DDs  are the BOMB.   

- Oh so so TIGHT torpedo dispersion  even for the 5 torp launcher , really better dispersion then any DD out there. ( Shima feels soo sloppy in comparison) 

- Faaast Torps. 

- Amazing reload time for a 5 torp launcher. 

- Great AA. OR atleast the Flak is good enough to keep the CV potatoes at bay (while good CV drivers still nail me). 

- Decent Concealment

- Decent guns. ( Even with the T9 i have had gun battles with every single T10 DD out there and WON. You just need to make sure the engagement is on YOUR terms.) 

- Great heal ( HUGE one to make this ship work)

- No Smoke ( Smoke is a crutch people. Good torpedo DDs should not smoke up ever it gives away where torpedoes will be coming from and takes away spotting from your team.) 

Anyway , Yes  I love a ship type in this game again and its European DDs. 

Fully agree, only thing they really need is more speed, once they are spotted they have a big trouble, and nowadays even many cruisers are faster than them. Of course more damage per torp would be great, but that would make them really OP.

[BBMOD]
Members
348 posts
5,767 battles
2 hours ago, Iron_Clad_5000 said:

Thanks for the Info. I took the line as far as Tier 7, but that ship was such a dog I decided to take some time away from the WoW for awhile. I will see if I can push on through to the better EU DDs.  

Just so you know, the T8 boat isn't much better. T9 is where it starts to get good. Thats as far as i have gotten so far.

• Thanks 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles

I thought it was sad watching the Tier X dump its torps and hit every single one into a GK, and watched the BB laugh.

• Cool 1

Members
106 posts
7,101 battles
1 hour ago, Grimm262 said:

Just so you know, the T8 boat isn't much better. T9 is where it starts to get good. Thats as far as i have gotten so far.

I'm going to have to disagree on this one

Torp wise, you get access to the 10k damage torps, which means that your torps actually do some damage when they hit compared to the stock/Skane torps. You're still stuck with only 6 torps, but you have the crazy reload times, so it helps to mitigate the lack of actual numbers of torps. But with the extra damage, it allows you to have more opportunities to YOLO torp if needed. But, where I think Oland is miles better than Skane is the gunboat aspects.

In Oland, you get much better DPM, coupled with a 360 degree rear turret, which allows you to very quickly adjust to whichever direction the threat is coming from. Also, Oland is the first ship in the line with actually decent concealment (5.8km I believe).  

• Cool 1

[OIL-1]
Members
1,281 posts

Hated the Skane. Liking the Oland. Played Halland on PTS and it was fun. Looking forward to it.

[POP]
Members
320 posts
15,213 battles

EU dds have real AA..........and they get better as you go up the line. :cap_cool:

[ARGSY]
Members
20,178 posts
14,340 battles
17 hours ago, SirPent13 said:

You're still stuck with only 6 torps, but you have the crazy reload times, so it helps to mitigate the lack of actual numbers of torps.

Ognevoi can actually do the same trick (sub 1 minute reload at Tier 8), but her torps are slower and hit harder for that. Big problem is that the Ognevoi's torpedo upgrade is intimately tied into the B hull; you fit that, you get 10 torps instead of 6 but the reload time jumps up quite sharply. I'm not looking forward to higher-tier, higher-damage EU torps for the same reason. I wish they'd pull that upgrade out of the B hull and make it a separate torpedo upgrade that you could fit or not as you wished.

[ENDO]
Members
84 posts

The EU DDs are awesome. Torps have a decent flooding chance too. Even if its not a dev strike hitting a BB with nearly all your torps is satisfying. The real beauty IMO is blasting smoke campers clear out of their boots. I've sunk more cruisers and DDs sitting in smoke with Halland then anything else. She is my highest winrate DD, not saying much because I suck 60% last I looked..  they force you to spot and play better. I feel like I don't do as much stupid stuff in my EU DDs. Plus that AA is awesome. 

[INTEL]
Members
3,059 posts
16,822 battles

I still have to resist the urge to cap in these things until the red team is cleaned up a bit.  When I do I'm very successful.  The Orkan in particular is good at cleaning up wounded DDs near the end of the battle.

[WOLF4]
Members
881 posts
11,952 battles
On 6/15/2020 at 9:30 AM, Iron_Clad_5000 said:

The torps don't hit for much alpha - but they are fast in the water and the reload is pretty quick (spec the ship and the skipper with all available torp perks - these boats are all about the torpedoes).

Flooding is where you rack your damage count - so don't forget to mount the flooding chance flag.

Had a match yesterday on Brothers (in the T9 Ost) and dealt 200k DMG to pushing BBs.  Still lost the match - but isn't that how it goes?  If my teammates had been competent, there would have been far less damage available to me - ha ha!

I'm just finishing up the Ost grind - and looking forward to Halland.  I've enjoyed my trip up the line - especially the T8 and 9 boats.

• Thanks 1

Members
6,621 posts
20,658 battles

well I hope they are decent. This is the only line I can't get myself to play, I am stalled out on the tier 8 dd. 

Statistically they are bad. I would agree

[ARGSY]
Members
460 posts
9,163 battles
On 6/15/2020 at 1:13 PM, Iron_Clad_5000 said:

Skane was one of the best dds in ranked.

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,214 posts
9,362 battles

I like euro DDs (despite not doing well in them), but I'd still prefer Shima if it weren't for the carriers. Shima can contest caps (concealment + 6 decent guns + smoke), euro DDs -- not nearly as well.

Lately I've actually been playing more Gearing. Can contest, can torp, can sorta be a nuisance to airplanes, decent concealment.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,887 posts
9,956 battles

I must admit, I do enjoy melting red DD's in 8 seconds.... Halland is a blast.

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,382 posts
9,778 battles

I do decent in them, but I love them too.  The main reason is because it makes mediocre to bad CV players suffer, and that is always a noble cause.

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

Then why don't you marry it? XD   ok that was bad

I might give them another go.  I am at the Skane and I really don't like it.  The CVs always target me which ruins dd gameplay for me. 

Sign in to follow this