You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
db4100

Broken Submarine Mechanic....2nd Post

15 comments in this topic

[LWA]
Members
1,344 posts
15,553 battles

It is even worse now as the trick has caught on.  With the current meta for the submarines in the games why do they even have to bother to dive more than 10 meters?  Just stay there and when a ships closes in on you just pop up to 5 meters....bam, immunity to depth charges and the guns of the attacking ship is too close to put on target.  And when the ships is away aiming it's guns onto the sub, it just goes down 1 meter.....immunity to damage AGAIN!!!   BROKEN, BROKEN, BROKEN, BROKEN, BROKEN, BROKEN.

To fix this broken submarine meta, let the depth charges do damage at all depths, not just below 5 meters only.....or make a submarine's ascent and descent painfully slow.  Why does WG think this immunity to depth charges is a good idea?

It is like the CV's sling shot method that recently got nerfed.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,065 posts
19,384 battles

Yep, I figure the data will be poured over and adjustments made. How much, who knows.

The issues you mentioned plus others. 

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
39,002 battles

I am confident they'll get this fixed, but it would be nice if one of the mods would reply here so we know that the devs are aware about it.

• Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,324 posts
14,923 battles
22 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

I am confident they'll get this fixed, but it would be nice if one of the mods would reply here so we know that the devs are aware about it.

There has been a lot of feed back on that so they have to be aware of it and other issues.

[SYN]
Members
1,423 posts
11,068 battles

I've played two or three sub games, ai thanks. Now I know what that sub was trying on my Dallas. Either he misplayed it or I got lucky. My guns got him at about 1k.

[386LV]
Members
82 posts
11,835 battles

Now they can simply sit at 6.1m depth waiting for any anti-submarine DD/CL to get close. Once in 1km range, they suddenly emerge to shoot torps at the ship. No ping is needed at all and very hard to counter.

The following 2 improvements are needed to make it at least playable:

1. Once emerged, a submarine should not be allowed to submerge or shoot torpedos within  the next 5 seconds
  2. Show the submarine's model or at least its outline, if it is emerged.
  • Funny 1

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,602 posts
23,062 battles
3 hours ago, db4100 said:

It is even worse now as the trick has caught on.  With the current meta for the submarines in the games why do they even have to bother to dive more than 10 meters?  Just stay there and when a ships closes in on you just pop up to 5 meters....bam, immunity to depth charges and the guns of the attacking ship is too close to put on target.  And when the ships is away aiming it's guns onto the sub, it just goes down 1 meter.....immunity to damage AGAIN!!!   BROKEN, BROKEN, BROKEN, BROKEN, BROKEN, BROKEN.

To fix this broken submarine meta, let the depth charges do damage at all depths, not just below 5 meters only.....or make a submarine's ascent and descent painfully slow.  Why does WG think this immunity to depth charges is a good idea?

This way they can "fix" it and tell you they have listened to you.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,809 posts
1,478 battles

At least DD and CA has defense against subs, CV and BB might as well just have a bullseye target painted on them. 

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
39,002 battles

Speaking of ping, is a ship that has been pinged by a sub signaled by the interface? I thought I was supposed to know when a homing torp was pinged on me. Where do I look?

[ARP]
[ARP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,348 posts
4,747 battles
4 hours ago, db4100 said:

I'm pretty certain if you sailed over a sub that was 1m under the surface you'd ram-kill it.

~Hunter

• Cool 1

[SF-13]
[SF-13]
Members
595 posts
8,961 battles
23 hours ago, db4100 said:

Why does WG think this immunity to depth charges is a good idea?

This new hack of riding around with the coning tower only two feet above water is now being abused by everyone in every sub game I play in as a CV.

It allows you to see as if you were fully surfaced, and also makes you immune to depth charges, most HE rounds, and even rockets, which only do damage if you hit the coning tower.  It allows the sub player to cap without exposing himself at all and planes cannot detect the sub in time to fire on it.  It is a stupid hack that WG's developers should have foreseen.

In the early rounds of testing, there were preset levels for Surface and Periscope depth that made it easy to go to one or the other without constantly tapping the F and C keys.  Hitting the C key also took you straight down to 30 meters automatically.  All of these type mechanics worked well and should be brought back for subs.

I have always been pro sub, but WG is making the subs look downright stupid.  Dumb hacks like riding around 5 feet below the surface and underwater ballet dances with other subs that you can magically see and shoot at just make the whole idea of subs ridiculous.  They will not be taken seriously in a Random battle and even their teammates will not support them since they will be wasting time fighting an underwater duel instead of helping their team spot enemy ships and such.

Only WoW could produce a submarine that everyone but sci-fi geeks would hate.  That really takes some extraordinary talent.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SF-13]
[SF-13]
Members
595 posts
8,961 battles
18 hours ago, Hunter_Steel said:

I'm pretty certain if you sailed over a sub that was 1m under the surface you'd ram-kill it.

It's hard to do that with a plane unless WoW finally gives us kamikazes, and then it would have to be a really lucky hit.

[OIL-1]
Members
1,450 posts

It's just a test to gather data.
Had a battle today where the end was me in a BB and 2 subs on the enemy team.
Obviously it won't go into the main game that way. I'm sure they had their reasons.
Made good credits so I'm fine with it.

• Funny 1