You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DocWalker

Submarines ... Still Unimpressed

34 comments in this topic

[WOLFC]
Members
2,883 posts
16,373 battles

I figured you can't talk about subs unless you try out the sub battles ... so I did ... in a BB.  Half a dozen games in a row so far and all losses.

This has to be the most inane class/mechanic I've seen tested in the game.  I'm not sure how WG expects you to fight a battle without effective weapons.

I'll keep playing until a win ... maybe it will filter into a spreadsheet somewhere.  Though I'm getting where I just don't care as much anymore.

I think Little White Mouse revealed a lot of insight last week when she said ... "There is a marked difference between how a game is advertised and how the game is intended to be played by the developers. That disconnect is where a lot of frustration resides."   Well said, Miss Maus.

• Cool 5
  • Meh 1

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles

Which is why you'll see one of three things:

>  Subs are relegated to their own mode of play like scenarios, but specific to submarine activity and limited only to relevant ship types

>  Subs are removed from the game (extremely unlikely at this stage, unfortunately)

>  New Mexicos, Fusos, and Izmails are going to be equipped with depth charges and K-guns

Guess which one is most likely to happen.

[OIL-1]
Members
1,281 posts

Unimpressed, but using my Dunkerque to farm credits 5 times a day.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,441 posts
14,165 battles

I would rather see the ships with no ASW get a ASW plane consumable than depth charges.

• Cool 6

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,050 posts
12,735 battles
1 minute ago, Kuckoo said:

>  Subs are relegated to their own mode of play like scenarios, but specific to submarine activity and limited only to relevant ship types

>  Subs are removed from the game (extremely unlikely at this stage, unfortunately)

>  New Mexicos, Fusos, and Izmails are going to be equipped with depth charges and K-guns

None of the above, it's not like a battleship can maneuver effectively enough to use use those depth charges. Someone at WG has it stuck in their head that this is a good idea, and won't accept that it's not until the crickets take over the serves.

• Cool 2

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,050 posts
12,735 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

I would rather see the ships with no ASW get a ASW plane consumable than depth charges.

Nice thought. but I doubt it would be allowed to be effective, so you'd get to do a little damage to the sub, before he obliterates you with torps.

WG wouldn't let a PB4Y-2 Privateer drive by and drop a Fido on one, too many subs would consider it unfair.

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,050 posts
12,735 battles
4 minutes ago, Fifi_Macaffee said:

If subs get their own mode of play, can you throw CV in there with them? 

Won't happen, too many premium CV's have been sold, and they've been in randoms for far too long.

• Sad 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,441 posts
14,165 battles
6 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Nice thought. but I doubt it would be allowed to be effective, so you'd get to do a little damage to the sub, before he obliterates you with torps.

WG wouldn't let a PB4Y-2 Privateer drive by and drop a Fido on one, too many subs would consider it unfair.

With fewer depth bombs they won't do a lot per pass and with only a few passes they are unlikely to take out on a single launch. I would have it on a fairly short cool down, long enough to keep it from being over powered but short enough that the sub would not want to hang around for long. That and requiring the sub to be at periscope depth to get more than mini map information would help a lot and would neuter the shotgun which I consider to be abuse of game mechanics.

[T_DH]
Members
5 posts
5,924 battles

This is just flat stupid, a waste of time even trying to play with a BB  Only a few Cruisers and DD's can do anything. A players team gets rid of those and the game is over.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,441 posts
14,165 battles
14 minutes ago, Harrydogs69 said:

This is just flat stupid, a waste of time even trying to play with a BB  Only a few Cruisers and DD's can do anything. A players team gets rid of those and the game is over.

Play them to show how broken the current set up is.

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
Just now, BrushWolf said:

Play them to show how broken the current set up is.

If they cannot see that when a player get a statment saying "impossable to hit sub" that will not anger people then they cannot think.

For all the cv haters at least its there.  Most ships cannot even dage a sub that should be obvious.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,441 posts
14,165 battles
2 minutes ago, Harrydogs69 said:

Why should I keep playing and hurt my stats for their stupidity

I don't think the sandbox impacts stats and why worry about them.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,603 posts
15,754 battles
19 minutes ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

wargaming does not believe in counter play anymore.

Pulicat got someone’s attention with the power of the pin to notice the subject of submarines potential to be a disruption. Whether or not it’s taken into consideration maybe another story.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,883 posts
16,373 battles

Well, 11 losses and 1 win ... I think that's enough for my contribution to the spreadsheet. 

Someone said above that WG doesn't believe in "counterplay" (I think) anymore.  Well, there's definitely a decline in the balanced roles of ships that counter each other ... I'm looking at you CVs/Radar when it comes to DD play.  And the same may happen for BBs if Subs are in the future.  

[T_DH]
Members
5 posts
5,924 battles

I've never seen a loss to be of any help in any manner, it being a sandbox may or may not matter but why do it when nothing to be gained.

It says more to play and stop than play and keep loosing.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,603 posts
15,754 battles
1 minute ago, DocWalker said:

And the same may happen for BBs if Subs are in the future

I think there will be some adjustments. What and how much? I’m not even going to guess.

Currently T6 BB’s in Submarine Battles are really dependent on ASW ships and the green submarines. I did run over one in my QE but it was just a comical outlier. A mistake by that sub captain. Someone who becomes savvy with submarines would have dived, pinged me and sank me.

• Cool 1

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,381 posts
20,051 battles

remember

WGs motto

Just Dodge

Sounds like the same argument for another class that doesn't play on the surface rules

Hmmmm

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,050 posts
12,735 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

With fewer depth bombs they won't do a lot per pass and with only a few passes they are unlikely to take out on a single launch. I would have it on a fairly short cool down, long enough to keep it from being over powered but short enough that the sub would not want to hang around for long. That and requiring the sub to be at periscope depth to get more than mini map information would help a lot and would neuter the shotgun which I consider to be abuse of game mechanics.

Don't see where it would make any difference. A sub can out maneuver a BB, put a few fish in it's side, and call it a day. Subs don't have to shotgun a BB. The sub takes a little damage, and moves off with an easy kill. You'd actually need a fairly fast recharge rate to actually be any threat to a submarine, which probably isn't going to happen.

And then there's the whole popping up and down, up half a meter to be immune to depth charges, down half a meter to immune to gunfire. So a smart sub can just ignore the whole thing and torp to it's hearts content.

[D33P6]
Members
563 posts
2 hours ago, Kuckoo said:

Or...

They get released in their current form.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,441 posts
14,165 battles
52 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Don't see where it would make any difference. A sub can out maneuver a BB, put a few fish in it's side, and call it a day. Subs don't have to shotgun a BB. The sub takes a little damage, and moves off with an easy kill. You'd actually need a fairly fast recharge rate to actually be any threat to a submarine, which probably isn't going to happen.

And then there's the whole popping up and down, up half a meter to be immune to depth charges, down half a meter to immune to gunfire. So a smart sub can just ignore the whole thing and torp to it's hearts content.

They do if they are within secondary range. Shotgun abuses the delay in their firing to fire the torps and be back to Nah, Nah, you can't hit me depth before they fire.

[P-V-E]
Members
1,508 posts

a large dollop of logic dictates, this early they are NOT going to add ASW capability to all ships at tier VI yet, they will be selective for the purpose of testing, and only when they have more representative data to iterate on will further changes be made.

its really up to people to learn not to throw their toys out of their pram quite so often.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1