You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Skerra

Another Steel Cruiser

15 comments in this topic

[PT]
Members
3 posts
9,362 battles

I'm rather confused why we got another Steel battleship when you can only use one per team.  I feel that another Steel cruiser would have been far more in demand.

With that in mind, my suggestion is a Goliath variant.  Options for this variant could be: Radar(The Goliath is the only heavy line to not mirror the radar of the light line).

An additional heal and/or separation between the AA and hydro consumable.

I know the Goliath was tested and several versions ended nerfed as being too powerful but perhaps a steel version could fit the bill to justify that bit of power-creep.

I don't expect most people to be behind a Steel version of the Goliath, but there has to be support for more steel cruisers.  Feel free to add your suggestions here.

[OIL-1]
Members
1,281 posts

The only justification for power-creep is money. Any ship can be balanced.
WG follows the MOBA playbook. Every new weapon is better. In a MOBA it's usually every 6 weeks.
Either you grind forever to keep up, or you pay money to keep up.

There are countless testimonials from players who took and old gun and killed a player with a new gun,
but everyone knows that the new gun is better. That's how they get ya.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[PT]
Members
3 posts
9,362 battles

Fair enough, but right now we have 4 ships, including one that isn't that useful for clan battles in the Yamato.  Honestly, the Ohio would have been a better steel ship while the Shikishima would have been better under the research bureau.  If there's gonna be power creep no matter what, might as well put it where the long term players can use it at least.

[G-B-U]
Members
77 posts
5,422 battles
1 hour ago, z9_ said:

If you don't know what a MOBA is, you have no business being in a discussion about video games.
If you don't know what a 3:56 is, you have no business being in a discussion about automobiles.
If you don't know what a Q2 is, you have no business being in a discussion about business.
Comprende ese?

Multiplayer Online Battle Arena, one player playing as part of a team against another team of individual players.

3:56 is gearing ratio, and they are many, and varied as the autos and trucks they go in, my truck uses a 4:11 and takes about 2 minutes and mile to get to anything close to highway speed.

Q2 is 2nd quarter, usually Apr-Jun, but not necessarily depending on fiscal year elections of the related business entity.

Still rude to use an acronym that is not common parlance in general society without defining it.  Anyone who has written a dissertation would know this.

[Y0L0W]
Members
507 posts
16,723 battles

Can everyone stop arguing on the internet. It's silly

• Boring 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,735 posts

As if knowledge of what a MOBA is should be counted as "common knowledge" or "the sort of thing one learns in a library".   

Or would have anything to do with WOWS. 

:Smile_teethhappy:

[O7]
Members
1,030 posts
4,417 battles
13 hours ago, Skerra said:

I'm rather confused why we got another Steel battleship when you can only use one per team.  I feel that another Steel cruiser would have been far more in demand.

With that in mind, my suggestion is a Goliath variant.  Options for this variant could be: Radar(The Goliath is the only heavy line to not mirror the radar of the light line).

An additional heal and/or separation between the AA and hydro consumable.

I know the Goliath was tested and several versions ended nerfed as being too powerful but perhaps a steel version could fit the bill to justify that bit of power-creep.

I don't expect most people to be behind a Steel version of the Goliath, but there has to be support for more steel cruisers.  Feel free to add your suggestions here.

Um, steel ships are intentionally made horrible so that the vast majority of the community who don't have access to a lot of steel wont get angry over inaccessibility

Just take a look at the steel ships we have:

Stalingrad: One of the worst T10s, inferior to Moskva and extremely inferior to Petro

Shikishima: Inferior Yamato

Bourgogne: Not a lot of comparisons to this one, but 380s is garbage when every heavy cruiser have 27mm box

Somers: Inferior Shimakaze

Neustrashimy: A decent steel ship, well, was a steel ship

Black: Again, a pretty good ship, but no longer a steel ship

Flint: Was good until IFHE changes, also AA is worthless now

So if its a Goliath variant it would have to be even worse than the tech tree one.

• Funny 2

[SRBL]
Members
486 posts
11,704 battles
2 hours ago, DolphinPrincess said:

Um, steel ships are intentionally made horrible so that the vast majority of the community who don't have access to a lot of steel wont get angry over inaccessibility

Just take a look at the steel ships we have:

Stalingrad: One of the worst T10s, inferior to Moskva and extremely inferior to Petro

Shikishima: Inferior Yamato

Bourgogne: Not a lot of comparisons to this one, but 380s is garbage when every heavy cruiser have 27mm box

Neustrashimy: A decent steel ship, well, was a steel ship

Black: Again, a pretty good ship, but no longer a steel ship

Flint: Was good until IFHE changes, also AA is worthless now

So if its a Goliath variant it would have to be even worse than the tech tree one.

I'm sitting on about 20K steel right now. I got the Flint and Black late last year, *sigh*, and I'm not really seeing anything I want at this time when I get more. 

[DOG]
Members
1,108 posts
11,799 battles
4 hours ago, DolphinPrincess said:

With Bourgogne, the low hit points are a problem if you're getting focus fired in a situation where you can't get out fast enough to use your repair, which can be somewhat mitigated by the speed booster.  And, although I know 380 mm guns sound wimpy for a tier X, they have a good rate of fire, which gets better with the reload booster.  Combine that with good accuracy, and it goes a long way toward making them useful.  Also, their ability to pierce armor seems better than it should be for guns of that caliber, at least to me.  This could be a function of the rate of fire, combined with the ability to use the speed booster to get to a broadside.

I've got Z-52, Shima, Gearing, Halland, and Somers.  I play Halland if I start seeing a bunch of CVs, just so I can cause some grief.  But otherwise, I play Somers way more than the others, mostly due to the range of the torps, and the fact they are divided into 3 launchers.  It has a better reload time than Shima, even if it has 3 fewer torps.  And with Shima you can't launch outside Russian radar range unless you want slower torps that can be spotted from 2.5 km.  Also, the guns seem to be better on Somers, at least to me.   Shima is about the only tier X DD I'd deliberately try to engage in a gun battle when driving a Somers.  Individually, the Shima guns are better, but Somers has 8 instead of 6, with roughly the same reload time.

As for the others, I'll agree with your assessment, especially the Stalingrad.  When I'm driving a DD I'd much rather see one of those on the red team than a Moskva, since the Stalingrad has no hydro, and I can usually launch torps outside 12 km range, so he frequently can't see them coming in time.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,735 posts

I bought Flint with Steel scrounged for the better part of two years,  shortly before the IFHE change and shortly before it went away to "someday" come back for Coal. 

I have yet to experience even a single moment of regret about that purchase.  

• Cool 1

[OIL-1]
Members
1,281 posts
15 hours ago, Feldo357 said:

Multiplayer Online Battle Arena, one player playing as part of a team against another team of individual players.

3:56 is gearing ratio, and they are many, and varied as the autos and trucks they go in, my truck uses a 4:11 and takes about 2 minutes and mile to get to anything close to highway speed.

Q2 is 2nd quarter, usually Apr-Jun, but not necessarily depending on fiscal year elections of the related business entity.

Still rude to use an acronym that is not common parlance in general society without defining it.  Anyone who has written a dissertation would know this.

Congratulations. You get a cookie.
However, I didn't post an acronym in a general society forum, I posted it on a game forum.
If I was posting on a financial forum, I wouldn't feel the need to explain that P/E stands for Price to Earnings Ratio.
Anyone who has an interest in a topic should learn the lingo. It isn't hard.

That said, let me tell you my complaint. It's all of you.
5 billion people had a cell phone before I did.
Didn't want one, didn't need one.
It was all of YOU, who started this mess, and you don't even realize it.
All over the internet, and all over these forums, you see this crap..
imho, iirc, fwiw, omg, etc. etc.
I had to look up what that stupid stuff meant when it first showed up online.
I had to learn a new lingo, that was based on nothing more than laziness.

I have an iPhone 7sPlus now, and I still don't use that crap, as I can thumb type very fast on that thing.
Oh, and btw, I type with 2 fingers, and I still was able to belt out this nonsense.

• Meh 1

[PT]
Members
3 posts
9,362 battles

I had hoped for more discussion about a new steel cruiser rather than the pros and cons of the older ones.  After seeing the performance of the Agir and Siegfreid, I wouldn't be opposed to a t10 German steel cruiser.  Germany is now the only country out of the main lines that doesn't have a t10 premium cruiser.

[WOOK3]
Members
4,214 posts
3,235 battles
13 hours ago, z9_ said:

Congratulations. You get a cookie.
However, I didn't post an acronym in a general society forum, I posted it on a game forum.
If I was posting on a financial forum, I wouldn't feel the need to explain that P/E stands for Price to Earnings Ratio.
Anyone who has an interest in a topic should learn the lingo. It isn't hard.

That said, let me tell you my complaint. It's all of you.
5 billion people had a cell phone before I did.
Didn't want one, didn't need one.
It was all of YOU, who started this mess, and you don't even realize it.
All over the internet, and all over these forums, you see this crap..
imho, iirc, fwiw, omg, etc. etc.
I had to look up what that stupid stuff meant when it first showed up online.
I had to learn a new lingo, that was based on nothing more than laziness.

I have an iPhone 7sPlus now, and I still don't use that crap, as I can thumb type very fast on that thing.
Oh, and btw, I type with 2 fingers, and I still was able to belt out this nonsense.

You don't understand the origins of geekspeak. It was going on back in the 70s long before the internet was a thing. FWIW, it wasn't based on laziness,  200 baud modems using acoustic couplers were slow. 

[OIL-1]
Members
1,281 posts
10 hours ago, Wombatmetal said:

it wasn't based on laziness,  200 baud modems using acoustic couplers were slow.

I stand corrected. I remember the cassette tape drive I had for my Vic-20. Thank God those days are over.