BrushWolf

DM&IR 2-8-8-4 Yellostone

13 comments in this topic

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,394 posts
14,161 battles

This is on display in Proctor Minnesota. They actually had more tractive effort, they could pull heavier loads, than the slightly larger UP 4-8-8-4 Big Boy.

Duluth Missabe  & Iron Range “Yellowstone” 2-8-8-4 M3 225, Proctor MN USA, 06/08/20

• Cool 3

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,888 posts
11,570 battles

ah yes, the other giant of the rails, ive heard in videos that the ground literally shook when they went by at speed

[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,042 posts
11,191 battles

All steam engines will make the ground move with that amount of mass moving around lol.

[CUTE]
2,042 posts
11,191 battles

when knotts gets RGS 41 back into service you could ask for cab rides, but you can see how much even at slow speeds an engine movies around. 

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,394 posts
14,161 battles
15 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

ah yes, the other giant of the rails, ive heard in videos that the ground literally shook when they went by at speed

There were other steam giants but most are gone and I think the only other giant in existence is the Norfolk & Western 2156 2-8-8-2.

9 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Wow nice picture! Yeah, that’s a era gone by. 

Not my picture, I took it off a Facebook page focused on the Duluth Minnesota area.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,394 posts
14,161 battles
2 minutes ago, Shigure_DD said:

when knotts gets RGS 41 back into service you could ask for cab rides, but you can see how much even at slow speeds an engine movies around. 

Steam locomotives are the closest thing to life that man has created.

Not a giant but still impressive, the North Shore Scenic Railroad's DM&IR #332 2-8-0 Consolidation.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,888 posts
11,570 battles
57 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

There were other steam giants but most are gone and I think the only other giant in existence is the Norfolk & Western 2156 2-8-8-2.

and who knows, maybe that Yellowstone will be brought back to running order, if a Big Boy can be brought back, i think a Yellowstone can be as well

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,888 posts
11,570 battles
53 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Steam locomotives are the closest thing to life that man has created.

ive heard that said alot and im among the ones that believe it

2-10-0

Edited by tcbaker777

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,394 posts
14,161 battles
1 minute ago, tcbaker777 said:

and who knows, maybe that Yellowstone will be brought back to running order, if a Big Boy can be brought back, i think a Yellowstone can be as well

There are three that I know of, one in the Duluth Depot museum, the one in Proctor Minnesota, and another in Two Harbors Minnesota. I would so love to see one of them came back to life. I would particularly like to see one haul a string of ore cars up the grade to Proctor.

[CUTE]
2,042 posts
11,191 battles

oh believe me when I say this working on and with a steam engine they have a personality, at knotts D&RGW C19 #340 is a Drama queen she wants to make your shift hard, and is always trying to get out of working and just sit in the roundhouse.  

[SLFF]
[SLFF]
Members
653 posts
45,981 battles

The Henry Ford Museum has an Allegheny 2-6-6-6 on display, it would be nice to see that one in action.

Allegheny 2-6-6-6.png

[SLFF]
Members
29 posts
2,304 battles
16 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Wow nice picture! Yeah, that’s a era gone by. 

The UP 4-8-8-4 is still in service there's videos of the restoration work done to it. They've done an amazing job restoring it.

This was taken a few years after it was done. 

Edited by Mrphaux21
  • Cool 1