You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
VaygrEmpire

Night combat with flares please

34 comments in this topic

[DANTO]
Beta Testers
216 posts
8,123 battles

That's from another game in development on steam but why can't we have something like that? night battle with flares. Current so-called night battles in game isn't really night battle - too bright. I don't know who dropped flares during WW2 but let some class do that (cruisers/carriers perhaps? DDs are going to be really busy due to submarines). Bare minimum light source in map and only let players see each other through gun fire or flares or silhouettes against moon lit surface or searchlight in close range.

we already have flare mechanic in game (when the special captains' abilities are activated) so just need to change all the light source in map to much darker, and change the sun to moon, and make flares manually activated and aerial effect. 

g178hfas2t.gif

• Cool 9
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[SGSS]
Members
6,220 posts
3 hours ago, VaygrEmpire said:

That's from another game in development on steam but why can't we have something like that? night battle with flares. Current so-called night battles in game isn't really night battle - too bright. I don't know who dropped flares during WW2 but let some class do that (cruisers/carriers perhaps? DDs are going to be really busy due to submarines). Bare minimum light source in map and only let players see each other through gun fire or flares or silhouettes against moon lit surface or searchlight in close range.

we already have flare mechanic in game (when the special captains' abilities are activated) so just need to change all the light source in map to much darker, and change the sun to moon, and make flares manually activated and aerial effect. 

g178hfas2t.gif

Star shells.

It would be great to bad Wg only cares about prem ships and not cool game modes.

Edited by jags_domain
  • Cool 3

Members
278 posts
1,523 battles

I think this is a great idea. They already have night matches in the Halloween events, so it really wouldn't be difficult.

[SALVO]
Members
8,248 posts
6,105 battles

The thing is not only the aesthetics of night battle, you need to rework the vision mechanic as well. Looks like serious work.

• Cool 1

Members
81 posts
10,201 battles

just implement a different shell type ... star shells. Pretty simple and then it would be all about all the programming to have them illuminate a small area of the ocean or island as it descends.

Would be really cool

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
868 posts
7,298 battles

yes with CVs sporting surface search radar equipped night fighters 😄

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,581 battles

The sad thing is WG already implemented all of this and had it in one of the coolest game modes ever.

And then they killed all operations.

Edited by enderland07
  • Cool 8
  • Thanks 1

[EQRN]
Members
2,240 posts
20,520 battles

It was a livestream or reddit or somewhere like that where SubOct or another dev considered Cherry Blossom’s “Night Play” (where only the first part was really in the dark) a failure.  It could have been done better, admittedly, but WG just walked away from it, just like destructible terrain more recently.

• Cool 1

[WOLF8]
Members
739 posts
9,624 battles
1 hour ago, VaygrEmpire said:

g178hfas2t.gif

I'm anxiously awaiting ^this game.  Dev says I'll have to probably wait til at least late 2021 though :Smile_sad:

[WORX]
Members
13,286 posts
20,135 battles

Some ideas are good in theory or paper...

After close consideration.. Some ideas are better of as an idea then anything practical.

Night battles with flares in WOWS, would resemble a white-out condition of a snow storm courtesy of the weather mechanic at tier 10. 

I see to many complaints about the snow storm (where you literally have reduced visibility). Night battles with flares, you'll have the community up at arms over it...

Its best to let this idea go for the good of all involved.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Meh 3

[WOLF1]
Members
6,321 posts
3 hours ago, VaygrEmpire said:

I don't know who dropped flares during WW2 but let some class do that (cruisers/carriers perhaps?

For example, IJN would drop parachute flares from floatplanes in some of the night battles around Guadalcanal.  Also, star shells were fired by DDs and/or cruiser/BB secondaries for illumination.

Also, radar.  Cape Esperance, Second Battle of Guadalcanal, Surigao Strait.

[OIL-1]
Members
1,487 posts

Don't know anything about naval history, but I do know
Starbursts. Under Siege. Tommy Lee Jones.

[SYN]
Members
5,879 posts
13,316 battles
6 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

The thing is not only the aesthetics of night battle, you need to rework the vision mechanic as well. Looks like serious work.

Which is why it won't happen.  :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1
  • Sad 1

[DANTO]
Beta Testers
216 posts
8,123 battles
On 6/14/2020 at 9:46 PM, Kuckoo said:

Which is why it won't happen.  :Smile_teethhappy:

*looks at CV rework* can't tell which one is more serious - cv rework or vision rework for night battle? Although not sure about vision rework. Don't see a reason to rework vision mechanics. I doubt it needs any change at all to vision mechanics. Everything can be managed through changing values of what's already in game.

Like I said, change all light sources to night themed, reduce spotting and detection range on all ships (including planes) and that should be all you need. I'm a developer myself and created a few small games that require vision mechanics (well player needs to see the screen anyway) and for something like night battle you don't need to change anything. Just, don't touch anything coded, and change numbers. That's all you need. Ok, actually, you might need to change camera stuff through coding. But given that WoWS already has tried many modes, I'm pretty sure it can easily be implemented through mode type. 

[FORM]
Members
2,382 posts
13,548 battles
On 6/14/2020 at 3:02 PM, VaygrEmpire said:

g178hfas2t.gif

The black ocean at night just looks sooooooooooo badass! 

[-ICE-]
Members
567 posts

If it did happen the Roma has 4 single guns that shoot Star Shells that the game dont recognize even though they show on the ship itself... wish they could use them as secondarys since they are duel purpous guns although net says they primarily were used for star shells. Would be good to have them used as secondarys also bc the ships secondarys are so weak.

Edited by CRZY_TRAIN

[BTLST]
Members
772 posts
11,861 battles

PLEASE return OPERATION CHERRY BLOSSOM back to the Game along with OPERATION DYNAMO (THE ORIGINAL ONE) as both were great Operations.    Operation Cherry Blossom had a night phase which was very good complete with flares.

• Cool 2

[Y0L0W]
Members
644 posts
20,641 battles

This is the one thing I would LOVE to see added to the game.

Beyond subs and new ship lines.

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,253 posts
11,723 battles
3 hours ago, dbw86 said:

PLEASE return OPERATION CHERRY BLOSSOM back to the Game along with OPERATION DYNAMO (THE ORIGINAL ONE) as both were great Operations.    Operation Cherry Blossom had a night phase which was very good complete with flares.

Actually, return all of the removed operations. It's a woefully underused game mode.

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,280 posts
16,494 battles

Radar ships would have tremendous advantage, though I would LOVE to see night battles....