Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HuTao_prpr

Getting Yoshino in current state of game

15 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

175
[BONKZ]
Members
293 posts
8,166 battles

I've been thinking of spending my coal on getting Yoshino as my second tier 10 coal boat, Everyone I asked has been recommending me to get the Thunderer, but I don't feel like playing battleships anymore.

So, is it still fun to play Yoshino in the current state of the game? I just want a really fun tier 10 ship like Smolensk and throw HE at everyone.

Edited by Kyaru_
Title

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,480
[O_O]
Members
7,036 posts
17,370 battles

I find Yoshino to be quite effective.  But, since it is a heavy cruiser it is not very Smolensk-ish.  It doesn't have the high rate of fire.

  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
717
[--O--]
Members
994 posts
9 minutes ago, Kyaru_ said:

I've been thinking of spending my coal on getting Yoshino as my second tier 10 coal boat, Everyone I asked has been recommending me to get the Thunderer, but I don't feel like playing battleships anymore.

So, is it still fun to play Yoshino in the current state of the game? I just want a really fun tier 10 ship like Smolensk and throw HE at everyone.

This will ALWAYS be a personal choice, you might get 100000000000 people saying its fun and  great but you get it and hate it.

My two cents, save your coal for something else. If you have a Zao IMO that is still a better ship and doesnt cost anything but the grind.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
175
[BONKZ]
Members
293 posts
8,166 battles
Just now, Mustangrde1 said:

This will ALWAYS be a personal choice, you might get 100000000000 people saying its fun and  great but you get it and hate it.

My two cents, save your coal for something else. If you have a Zao IMO that is still a better ship and doesnt cost anything but the grind.

Ah, I don't have a Zao and I currently don't plan on grinding towards the IJN cruiser line...

But I get what you mean, thank you~ I'll try to save my coal as much as I can lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
548
[CDOH]
Members
899 posts
8,510 battles

As long as you play on the other team i am ok with you getting Yoshino.  However your a pretty good player.  You should be good in it.

Edited by Rothgar_57
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
211
[MKF]
Members
583 posts
20,416 battles

If you like long range fire starting then it is a solid choice. The guns hit hard and you will set plenty of fires. The 20km torps are a fun bonus as long as you're careful. Just have to play cautiously as it is very easy to citadel 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
175
[BONKZ]
Members
293 posts
8,166 battles
4 minutes ago, Rothgar_57 said:

As long as you play on the other team i am ok with you getting Yoshino. 

Ahue, alright then ^^

 

Just now, Dath_1 said:

If you like long range fire starting then it is a solid choice. The guns hit hard and you will set plenty of fires. The 20km torps are a fun bonus as long as you're careful. Just have to play cautiously as it is very easy to citadel 

I do like long range fire starting, i did spec my Smolensk with range mod and AFT just to get longer reach

The 20km torpedoes looks tempting as well, I want to try those since I didn't get to fire torps longer that 12km which are in Italian cruisers and I don't own a Shimakaze.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,359
[ARP]
[ARP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,348 posts
4,747 battles
35 minutes ago, Kyaru_ said:

I've been thinking of spending my coal on getting Yoshino as my second tier 10 coal boat, Everyone I asked has been recommending me to get the Thunderer, but I don't feel like playing battleships anymore.

So, is it still fun to play Yoshino in the current state of the game? I just want a really fun tier 10 ship like Smolensk and throw HE at everyone.

I'm a very happy Yoshino captain. I prefer her to Zao in pretty much every way. Her HE hits like a truck, and unlike Azuma, you actually have some semblance of armor and 20km torpedoes are always hilarious. Running the range mod I get a 24.7km range, I've used her in CB, Ranked and Randoms to decent effect and never once have I been overly frustrated with the ship. Long rage HE spam and the AP is actually decent under 14km.

 

All in all, it's up to you, but I recommend Yoshino. You won't really get a better Super Cruiser for coal any time soon.

~Hunter

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
175
[BONKZ]
Members
293 posts
8,166 battles
Just now, Hunter_Steel said:

I'm a very happy Yoshino captain. I prefer her to Zao in pretty much every way. Her HE hits like a truck, and unlike Azuma, you actually have some semblance of armor and 20km torpedoes are always hilarious. Running the range mod I get a 24.7km range, I've used her in CB, Ranked and Randoms to decent effect and never once have I been overly frustrated with the ship. Long rage HE spam and the AP is actually decent under 14km.

 

All in all, it's up to you, but I recommend Yoshino. You won't really get a better Super Cruiser for coal any time soon.

~Hunter

Oh? You can use it in competitive modes as well? I'm glad to know that! I do wonder if I could play it like Smolensk with no smokescreens, since I don't really use Smol's smokescreens and I am actively doing open-water kiting with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
211
[MKF]
Members
583 posts
20,416 battles
3 minutes ago, Kyaru_ said:

Oh? You can use it in competitive modes as well? I'm glad to know that! I do wonder if I could play it like Smolensk with no smokescreens, since I don't really use Smol's smokescreens and I am actively doing open-water kiting with it. 

It is very powerful when kiting and the torp angles like other IJN favor firing to the rear, likewise in that situation you are less likely to hit friendlies with torps. A well played kiting Yosh is very nasty 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
175
[BONKZ]
Members
293 posts
8,166 battles
Just now, Dath_1 said:

It is very powerful when kiting and the torp angles like other IJN favor firing to the rear, likewise in that situation you are less likely to hit friendlies with torps. A well played kiting Yosh is very nasty 

The torp arcs and long range torps on IJN heavy cruisers looks like they are meant to kite, and Yoshino's really long range guns looks like it can put up a fair fight from a distance as well (which is the main reason why I'm really interested in buying the ship)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
211
[MKF]
Members
583 posts
20,416 battles
2 minutes ago, Kyaru_ said:

The torp arcs and long range torps on IJN heavy cruisers looks like they are meant to kite, and Yoshino's really long range guns looks like it can put up a fair fight from a distance as well (which is the main reason why I'm really interested in buying the ship)

As long as you are dead set against Thunderer then go for it. Yosh is very good for what you want to do with it. I personally would buy Thunderer first but you won't be disappointed with Yosh given your preferences 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
7,122 posts
22,647 battles

It's fun. The reload is just long enough that when someone dcp's your fire the next round sets two more. The 20km torps are so damn funny, they are slow and in many cases you literally have forgot about them and you get a hit or two. They are awesome to use when a cap has been overrun and multiple ships are sailing around an island and pushing into you. Spam HE and watch them dcp only to run into a torp... It's good solid fun.

  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
12,612 posts
14,320 battles
46 minutes ago, Mustangrde1 said:

This will ALWAYS be a personal choice, you might get 100000000000 people saying its fun and  great but you get it and hate it.

My two cents, save your coal for something else. If you have a Zao IMO that is still a better ship and doesnt cost anything but the grind.

Zao and Yoshino do have some similarities that thankfully allow them to share Admiral Yamamoto. But they are 2 very different ships.

Zao is better at sneaking into small island areas to hunt DDs, CLs, maybe torpedo something heavier, or do kiting.

Yoshino is more like a Battlecruiser to be honest. It’s guns hit much harder than those on Zao, Fire less shells in a salvo, and are longer ranged. Yoshino is also faster, better armored,  and has less stealth than Zao. The Yoshino’s 20km torpedoes are a lot of fun as they can be added firepower the enemy typically does not expect and make Yoshino a lovely threat even after the ship has been sunk if you managed to dump the torpedoes overboard in time the enemy will assume there is no longer any torpedo threat then a couple minutes later they get hit and sunk. That never gets old lol.

So in conclusion I have both Zao and Yoshino and use both of them a lot. Now as much as I recommend getting Yoshino, if you think you may ever have an interest in Thunderer I would say get Thunderer first on the grounds that it has been so massively popular that I predict some time this year or certainly by next year it will get pulled from Armory just like Missouri, Musashi, Jean Bart, and Smolensk were after proving too popular. I myself am currently on a mad scramble to get the coal for Thunderer knowing as I said the ship could at any time  be announced that it’s leaving the Armory.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,359
[ARP]
[ARP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,348 posts
4,747 battles
53 minutes ago, Kyaru_ said:

Oh? You can use it in competitive modes as well? I'm glad to know that! I do wonder if I could play it like Smolensk with no smokescreens, since I don't really use Smol's smokescreens and I am actively doing open-water kiting with it. 

Yup. Double rudder for kiting, it works, quick rudders make your ability to juke shots and dodge easier. She has two forward facing torpedo launchers and two rear facing launchers, like the Atago has.

 

~Hunter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×