You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Toxygene

NA and EU accounts - Are 2 accounts better than 1?

13 comments in this topic

[O2]
Members
228 posts

I sometimes read about gamers with account on both the NA and the EU server (or any other two servers). I have a couple of questions related to this:

1) Are the any differences between the two? Are some ships only available on one of the two?

2) Why would someone want to have an account on two different servers? Can resources be shared between them?

3) Am I missing out by only having a NA account?

[ARC]
Members
896 posts
10,473 battles
17 minutes ago, Toxygene said:

I sometimes read about gamers with account on both the NA and the EU server (or any other two servers). I have a couple of questions related to this:

1) Are the any differences between the two? Are some ships only available on one of the two?

2) Why would someone want to have an account on two different servers? Can resources be shared between them?

1) There are no differencein ships available between servers, just that, aside of special modes (Clan Battles and Clan Brawls) they can't fight between servers.

2) For the difference in playstyle. All four servers (CIS, EU, NA and ASIA) has really different playstyles, which really difficults balancing ships globally. In CIS, last time I heard, the russian tech tree lines were considered underwhelming and the russian DDs unplayable, which goes a long way to show how different is the meta between servers.

3) No. They are completely independent. You can register in both servers with the same e-mail, but you only do it for the novelty of playing in another server and probably trying to grind everything anew. But the Recruiting Station and the Research Bureau has gone a long way towards making it more worth to just create a new account in the same server or just playing your old account if you want to grind everything again.

Edited by hanesco
  • Cool 1

Members
695 posts
3,422 battles

Reason? For me? I work shifts so a lot of the time I would be playing WoWs on a dead EU server (very very late night/early morning) so I got invited over to NA and now play with a clan here at a time when EU is quiet but NA is active. Plus it's a social game for me so it's fun to play and chat crap and joke about on Discord at the same time. No other reason. 

Resources can't be shared. As for ships. My EU gets or I should say got priority on ships when I actually spent money on WG. Nearly every ship I got on my NA account however were from SC or Christmas containers and the only money that was spent was Prem time. Which I won't be extending when it runs out. 

Edited by Toss_a_plus_1_to_your_CV
  • Thanks 1

[WORX]
Members
10,635 posts
18,539 battles
47 minutes ago, Toxygene said:

Short answers to your questions

1. No difference ship wise, the difference is delegation of management, support or contests/events...
    • NA is manage and supported out of Texas, EU is out of Prague.. The offices give support to the playbase of their server region.
    • Also, the prices for ships maybe expensive in one region then the other
    • IF you win a prize, WOWS might say for EU or in other servers, ... Your USA addy will not work for shipping if its region. server specific
  2. No, EU/NA are two different servers in two different locations... They're not interchangeable...As to why someone wants an Alt acct. in different servers ?IMO, they're crazy... I dont see any logical benefit for having accts. in different servers...
  3. Other then regional sanction only event organized by Their community managers, you're not missing nothing in any server region.

Reasons for having alts are plenty, IMO none of them make any sense

Members
246 posts
310 battles

I have accounts in both.

The most common reason why people have accounts on different servers is to do with the timezones. I've been playing on the NA server for 5 years now and I always suffered come Clan Battles time.
EU server is just better for me timing-wise.

I know others who created accounts on the EU server just to prove a ridiculous point that "NA is better" and then subsequently abandoned their accounts, too.

As for different metas and whatnot; I know people love to talk about how everyone plays differently on every server, but it's generally just a gross exaggeration at best and an outright misinformed lie at worst (with the exception of China where they still play 0.7.3). The game is the same everywhere, the same ships, the same maps, the same game-modes, the same inherent advantages and disadvantages. In effect, the game forces you to play a particular style, especially in competitive, whether you like it or not. And so there's practically no difference between EU and NA. The biggest differences between NA and EU that I found (which might also partially explain the perceived differences in meta) are:

1- There are about 3 times as many players on EU than in NA, so your chances of getting absolute potatoes in your (and the enemy's) team are significantly higher. Pretty much every other game is of teams with 10-15% points difference where team average WR (in ships) is concerned. A lot of complete steamrolls. I tend to get into fits of rage a lot more frequently in EU than in NA.

2- People are a lot more likely to report you for pretty much everything. I have been chatbanned only 3 times in my 5 years in NA. Contrast that to almost constant chatbans in EU, even when you barely use chat (or none at all). Nine out of 10 people that I've come across in EU are in a continuous cycle of chatbans. I finally outright disabled my chat in the game (and still got a ban). Best decision I've ever made in this game short of uninstalling and never looking back. You can pretty much rage your heart out in here, and no one will care. :) I like that about NA. Thicker skin.

That's pretty much it. You're not missing anything at all.

Edited by KosmicRavioli
  • Thanks 1

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,421 battles

My main (first) account was in NA. After too much frustration or for a change I started an alt account on EU server.

In late 2018 WG offered the option to move an account to a different server so I changed both.

My main account has more ships & EU has more players. My alt account has less ships & NA has fewer players. Hence my decision to switch both accounts.

As I'm a Clan Leader in NA, I had to drop Leadership & change that back once both server transfers completed but a clan mate assisted with that.

The two servers are much the same (all sorts of characters & 'flamers' inc me). There does appear to be way more chat banning going on on EU server (& forum).

Maybe there is something called 'Eurotrash'. If there is, it certainly infects the EU server but then there's 'American trash' too, lol.

Ofc, to start a 2nd (alt) account necessitates playing & owning the same ships you already have in your main account although I do have 3 unique ships on my NA account.

My main account (now on EU server) has many more unique ships (inc my Alpha & Beta ships). By unique I mean just having a particular ship on the one account.

Edited by Antean
  • Thanks 1

[ARRSE]
Members
192 posts
1,402 battles
2 hours ago, Toxygene said:

1. Years back, the servers did have different events and promotions/ discounts. WG  has now mostly coordinated the server offerings, although small variations are allowed (E.g. USS Texas appeal on NA, various soviet events on RU - such as availability of Makarov);

2. Accounts are entirely separate. I play on NA, EU and RU for various reasons:

a. Legacy. I played WoT beta on RU, and lived in Russia/KZ (Brit expat);

b. Different playstyle between servers;

c. NA is a better server for anglophones, so communication, team chat and even WG employee contact is better for English speakers;

d. (Some tinfoil required here) If you are having a bad day on your main account, you can just switch to an alt account and have a different experience;

e. EU has many more players than NA or RU, so in theory there is more team variety and MM should work better;

f. Occasionally its fun to complete an event two or three times - especially if there is a nice reward ship. However, recent events have tended to be very much more grindy, so not so appealing.

g. If your alt account(s) is F2P or stands dormant for some time, you can get spammed with "welcome back" offers (Last year RU offered me a list of 40+ premium ships , each with up to 40% discount).

h. (more tinfoil required) Similarly, if your F2P account is a bit dormant, the "luck" in Xmas boxes can be spectacular...

3. IMHO, it can be fun to have another account in a different region. For one thing, it does show you the stark difference between Premium play (assuming your main NA account) and F2P play (assuming you don't get tempted top spend money on your alt account). Particularly if you are from US, then an EU account can give you exposure to various international gaming cultures (ahem).

• Thanks 1

Members
254 posts
6,694 battles

I don't see any problem with it at all (except the minor inconvenience to grind ships all over again)

I'm playing from Asia but registered in NA in the first place, but i got my Asia account since local internet cafes only has Asian clients and i can't use my NA account with them.

Members
443 posts
451 battles

why limit yourself? get one of each!

Edited by kagero__

[O_O]
Members
38 posts
1,805 battles

When I started playing not so long ago I started playing both servers.

Thought it would be good to play eu in the morning and na in the evening.

Turns out I play much better on the na server morning or night so I put eu in the fridge...

[O2]
Members
228 posts

Thanks for the replies. How does it work in case I wanted to play on NA and EU servers? I use the same overall account (email) and install two instances of the game? Or do I create a second account (different email) and use that on a second instance (Assuming I always will need to install NA separate from EU)?

[LOSC]
Members
579 posts

In 2011 I started playing World of Tanks (WoT), my gaming group SPARTA (LOSC) was in the top 10 clans of GhostRecon, GhostRecon2 & ect, ArmA and Arma2  so we had a hundred + players from every area accessible on the planet.  Most were from East & Central EU and North America.

So I had Eu and Na accounts, so that I could battle at prime times with my friends.

Now most of our group plays other games like DCS and Racing games and some are in alpha with Star Citizen.

As for me and a couple we play World of Warships, but really most first-person tactical military shooters don't care for WoWs.

Although we did have a nice presence in WoT after the Gold shells and arti most quit.  

Edited by Halli_SPARTA