You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BanCVComplainers

Taking shells after going dark

56 comments in this topic

[NH]
Members
1,769 posts

Has anyone noticed an increase of amazing blind shots after ships have gone dark? Im not talking about shells that were still in flight. I have a replay of a player in randoms in a Hindenburg that was able to fire at me successfully after I was no longer spotted and moving for not 1 but 3 salvos. That is a large amount of time. Unfortunately due to name and shame rules I cant post it  here.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 2

Members
1,057 posts
4,376 battles

I would say that this isn't unheard of. I've had this happen to me several times before. Mostly in DDs where I would have a cruiser blasting away at my location, and successfully nailing me on the head with at least one or two shots. I guess it's just player skill or something..

:SerB:

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

Yes!  I knew I wasn't crazy!   I would get blind shotted (very accurately) after going stealth for like 8-10 seconds.  I am so glad I am not the only one who noticed this

[YARRR]
[YARRR]
Members
258 posts
5,420 battles

I landed a crazy shot on a CV today by firing using the map, estimating from his last-known-position minimap icon. Max range with spotter up, fired six guns, 4 hits, three citadels. 

I saw the cit ribbons and thought, "There is no way I'm not about to get accused of hacking."

[-KIA-]
Members
3,473 posts
14,831 battles

I only met 1 player recently who had very bad stats and really sucked at landing hit on me when I was spotted, yet after being unspotted for like 10-20 sec, he suddently manage to land consistent blind fire on my ship. I was in division with a friend at that time so my divmate witnessed and was also on the receiving end of that player. After some quick research we found out it was that kind of player coming from that region of the world.

But outside of that special player, no I didn't experienced something out of the ordinary

• Confused 1

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,582 posts
52 minutes ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

Has anyone noticed an increase of amazing blind shots after ships have gone dark? Im not talking about shells that were still in flight. I have a replay of a player in randoms in a Hindenburg that was able to fire at me successfully after I was no longer spotted and moving for not 1 but 3 salvos. That is a large amount of time. Unfortunately due to name and shame rules I cant post it  here.

I dont need haxsors to be able to use my mk1 brain and predict exit routes.

to quote a tonks uni I ran with back in the days, 'you miss 100% of the shots you dont try for'.

• Boring 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,065 posts
23,845 battles

It can be predictable where a player intends to go, most especially if you just keep sailing straight, thinking you're safe.  Even if you were to "Go Dark" or duck behind an island, an attacker can pop up Spotting Aircraft and get a better view to pick out a specific spot to land shells on.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
71 posts
105 battles

hi

I have done and I have had it happen to me 

It is only possible if after you go dark - that you continue to move in the same line at the same speed

Then you can kind of sort of estimate where they might be in several seconds

I usually attempt if there are no other targets to shoot at , if you are a valuable target and you seem to be moving slowly 

I saw Flamu talk about blind firing and I  have been sometimes giving it a go 

But shooting for several rounds and hitting , well that another level of predicting.

[KWF]
Members
4,373 posts
6,405 battles

It can be done manually, that said I think there's a hack pack that predicts routes of ships gine dark if they keep to the same direction. 

@Ducky_shot mentioned something like that in his reddit thread on the subject of a cheating CB clan.

However, dunno how you can tell skill from this mod.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Thanks 1

[PVE]
Members
6,172 posts
22,432 battles
3 hours ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

You can post the replay... it's not naming & shaming if you were the one getting shamed.

Let us decide if it was cheating or just good predicting.

2 hours ago, Dano07_ said:

It is only possible if after you go dark - that you continue to move in the same line at the same speed

That's not true...if you're obviously cutting around an island or teammate & where you are turning is predictable you can still be lead & how much you will need to slow down to make those maneuvers can also be predicted...especially if you're being predictable.

Not to mention if you were firing your guns the whole time.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[O2]
Members
228 posts
3 hours ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

Has anyone noticed an increase of amazing blind shots after ships have gone dark?

Yep. Same observation here. And to do you one better - In a a game today I was deleted while in the dark. A friendly Buffalo was parking behind me while someone fired at him. Shells all dropped right into my sides...

[WOLF3]
Members
27,065 posts
23,845 battles

There's players out there that are good in shooting into smoke.  Just because you "went dark" doesn't mean anything if you keep on sailing predictably from when your attacker last saw you.  It's a matter of taking a good guess, recalling your last heading, and how much they need to lead you for the speed you were going.

I stress again, Spotting Aircraft being active makes this easier.  On a normal scoped in view without Spotting Aircraft active, the view is closer to the surface and flatter.  It's harder to pick out a spot if you have to blind fire.

But with Spotting Aircraft active, the view gets elevated a lot, almost a bird's eye view, and you can actually start picking more exact spots more easily to shoot at.

There's some BB players that are really good at this.

I've had games where I thought I was safe after I ducked behind an island, breaking contact.  Except I see that last set of BB AP shells flying over and nail me.  Again, there's guys that are real good at this.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
6,217 battles

There's a pattern with players that use the predictive lock on for continuing fire at a dark ship's broadside.  I mostly see it from those that are on the same continent as RU ~95% of the time.

[ROCKR]
Members
337 posts
13,737 battles

Flamu did a blind fire vid a while back. I've been using the circle thingy trick (after lock on to any ship) since then and have increased my blind shots quite a bit. To the tune of "how do you know where I am?" in game chat. Kinda funny, really.

[USMC-]
Members
290 posts
8,087 battles

Isn’t there a desync issue where your computer shows you are dark but the server is actually registering your position?

[--O--]
Members
931 posts

Yes its happening a lot more often. I know there was a reddit thread on it.

Post the replay.

I can blind fire on some ships based off Mini-Map, some based off knowing someone will hide in a spot. But what im seeing is suspicious especially when maneuvering.

[REX-I]
Members
49 posts
5 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

It can be done manually, that said I think there's a hack pack that predicts routes of ships gine dark if they keep to the same direction. 

@Ducky_shot mentioned something like that in his reddit thread on the subject of a cheating CB clan.

It exist and people use it, but we aren’t allowed to discuss it

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles

Depending on the situation it can be pretty easy to blind fire ships for a while.

For example if you are in a battleship reversing, the path/speed is very similar (especially since minimap with last known position shows where you are aiming relative to the last spotted).

If you get at least 1 hit in each subsequent salvo that also gives somewhere to aim.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,179 posts
16,906 battles

I know I always blind fire into smoke especially after I get a hit. I just keep the reticle on the same spot and keep firing. 

[YORHA]
Members
5,014 posts
9,993 battles

To anyone expecting to see a replay I have only one thing to say.

You must be new here.

[WOLF5]
Members
897 posts
34,178 battles
8 hours ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

Just because you're dark doesn't mean the reds can't shoot at you. It just means that they don't get the dispersion reduction that locking on generates. 

Alpha Tester
440 posts
10,760 battles

Do you guys posting "It's a normal feature of the game, you just don't know how to escape incoming fire" really think that we are going to start complaining about regular stuff after 10K+ battles?

What the OP is talking about is a scourge upon the NA server that needs to get sorted out yesterday.

I don't know for sure, but I strongly suspect there is some illegal mod that WG is having trouble with detecting, as this started getting really out of hand recently.

I've been taking hits from secondary incoming that was fired long after my spotted icon went out, sometimes 2-3 salvos extra after the light is out.

Members
6,858 posts
15,357 battles
6 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Most of it can be done and explained through normal game mechanics. But Im always curious to see replays if people can provide it. In randoms it's extremely hard to distinguish between skill, luck or hacks. Where it's most easy to spot and what I talked about was clan battles. When every player on a team is suspicious, it's easier to make that assumption. 2 weeks ago I actually played a cross server CB against the most suspect clan I have ever seen. But WG says their anti cheat works and not to bug them with such reports..... 

[W-P-E]
[W-P-E]
Members
262 posts
22,243 battles

wows show has example of blind shot at 1:20