You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AltarSkunk

Cap Arcona: SS death ship

2 comments in this topic

[ALTAR]
[ALTAR]
Members
5 posts
4,359 battles

It was difficult to view, but on the stern of the ship in Hamburg port, it identifies the liner as the Cap Arcona (as others have already posted).  This ship ended its career as an SS prison ship full of concentration camp inmates.  But then WG already knew this ships history when they selected it.  Kudos for the selection, but how about an article on the webpage? My apologies if there is and I missed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Cap_Arcona

Cap Arcona's final use was as a prison ship. In May 1945 she was heavily laden with prisoners from Nazi concentration camps when the Royal Air Force (the pilots not knowing of the nature of her passengers) bombed her, killing about 5,000 people; with more than 2,000 further casualties in the sinkings of the accompanying vessels of the prison fleet, Deutschland and Thielbek. This was one of the largest single-incident maritime losses of life in the Second World War.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,411 posts
14,163 battles

While it was sunk in the early days of WWI I think they should have used the Cap Trafalger which fought the HMS ex RMS Carmania in the only battle between two ocean liners.

300px-Sinking_Cap_Trafalgar.jpg